3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Gear 2008  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Gear 2008
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Sherpa, you will LOVE that expensive "t-shirt" once you start running after those elk   ;)  

Jeff, the Mountain pants are replaced this year with the Ascent pants (improved to 4 way stretch from 2 way) and they are made for active hunting, like elk hunting, or mild weather stand hunting.  The 90% stuff is more for sitting, but again it is not super warm, that is why the Celsius line was developed...for the stand hunter; it is still lightweight, but much warmer.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Mountain pants are still available, apparently.

Do these run on the small side? I seem to remember comments to this effect.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally, I heard the fit was small.  I got mine last year and found my 36W mountain pants fit exactly as my 36W jeans do.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
I'll tell ya how nice the mountain pants are...this spring while turkey hunting with my "friends" one of them stole my pants out of my bag before we left camp!
The guys I hang around with...............  :rolleyes:  

(nothing to do with my avatar photo though  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Biggie,

Thanks for the endorsement. Have to wonder though: Who could even wear your pants!!! The culprit must have been pretty obvious, unless all you Georgia boys are built the same!  :biglaugh:

A Gator fan
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Let's see..........Uncle Gene....Uncle Barry....Marty.....Joey Buchanan....yep!
Any one of em could be the culprit!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
I can't find the new colors. Where are they?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
The GM by me still has the original stuff...would love to see the new line.  

The Downpour series is noisy...what are the main changes that quieted the new line down?

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
My money would be on the Twins. Next time they're in camp, see if one of them is wearing a pair of MPs with the cargo pockets around their ankles! ;>)
Jeff

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Last weekend at the Sitka booth at Compton was the first time I saw the new Sitka line.  I like what I see!  This year's clothing looks even better than before.  I love the trim fit of the jacket (no arm gaurd needed) and the MM camo fits in anywhere.  Sitka clothing is QUIET to the touch.  I'm real interested in the new Celsius line for treestand hunting this fall.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Can any of the Sitkagear enthusiasts inform me as to whether or not they make clothing for hunting in warm to hot conditions? "Normal" (for want of better description) trousers, cotton shirts? Thanks, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Curt....last weekend at Comptons was my first look at the Sitka line(well other than Darryl's) WOW...time to consider upgrading all my hunting clothes...and as Biggie mentioned the airlines have changed the way traveling hunters need to look at cold weather gear.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
Can any of the Sitkagear enthusiasts inform me as to whether or not they make clothing for hunting in warm to hot conditions? "Normal" (for want of better description) trousers, cotton shirts? Thanks, Ben
Ben, I am with you since I do a fair amount of hunting in warm to hot conditions.  My favorite Sitka Gear to hunt in is the "mountain pant" or the "Ascent pant" and the "core top" or "zip t top".  The pants are tough and durable against rock and brush, they have 4 way stretch and when I have to wash the dust and sweat out of them they dry quick hanging on a branch or I can wear them wet and they dry on the go.

The "core top" wicks away sweat and keeps me cool when it's hot and it takes out that morning chill before sun up.  It also has silver ion in the threads that prevent bacterial growth in the fabric.  Way too much information here.

I'm not a big fan of hunting in cotton or cotton poly because it takes a long time to dry when wet, and it is heavy.

Bottomline is get the Ascent pant and the core top or zip t if you plan on hunting warm to hot climates.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »
Thanks, Larry.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
bjk - The Down Pour rain gear has been replaced by the Nimbus rain gear, which is now 4-way stretch. I think this flexibility has dampened some of the noise. Yes, of all the Sitka products, I would say the rain gear has potential to make the most noise against brush, but I have not seen any other rain gear that is more quite and still withstand a down pour in a tree stand with your arms and shoulders pushed up against a tree truck that has buckets of water running down onto you. If I am using rain gear then its usually raining and the extra noise is dampened anyway by the patter of rain. Mike

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »
Someone mentioned about not finding Sitka in Cabela's or Bass Pro retail stores.  Not sure if all Scheels stores carry it, but the ones in Lincoln and Omaha did and had excellent selection.  I know Scheels has stores in IA and elsewhere, don't know if anything is close for you.

Ben from Oz, I don't think Sitka wants to make 'normal' cotton clothing for several reasons.  However, I think what you're asking is clothing for warm weather and I'd recommend the same things that Larry Yien did:  go with the Ascent Pant (last year called the Mountain Pant) and the core tops.  The Mountain Pants I had last year dry out amazingly fast when walking through wet grass, etc.  Instead of sitting on my stand soaked, I'd notice very quickly my pants were dry.  Amazing.  I just sat many hours in a warm tent at the Sitka Booth at Compton this past weekend wearing the Sitka core top and never felt sweaty.  It does a great job of transporting sweat/moisture to the surface where it is spread out for quick evaporation.  And all of it is lighter than cotton.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
While Sitka doesn't exactly make a warm weather pant/shirt. The mountain and or the new ascent pants and zip top will work just fine in warm weather. The fabrics are light and comfortable. They dry quickly and allow for freedom of movement. Unlike light cottons, the Sitka strecth and technical fabrics allow your skin to breath and the fabric to vent and dry quickly. This of course is a big plus in hot or cold weather.

The Sitka system really is just that "A system". It is designed to be layered and to cover a wide variety of demands. It was originally designed to be like mountain climbing gear. Less bulk, greater freedom of movement and highly technical.

With the edition of the new 08" Celcius Line, Sitka is now offering a less bulky, but greater weight/to warmth ratio product. I think all will be pleased with the 08' line and I think that over the next few years we will continue to see Sitka Gear develop and implement the latest and most technical advances in outdoor clothing.

As far as sizing? We figure if we can design clothing to accomodate "Biggie" and The Wensels...we must be doing something right!

Best, Peter Iacavazzi

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I second (or third, or whatever, LOL) the vote for Sitka Gear in warm weather.  Last week while filming for Masters Of The Barebow Vol. 3, I wore Sikta on a couple of hot days and never felt uncomfortable.

Most of our bowhunting here in Michigan is during cold weather though, so I'm anxious to try the new Celsius Gear this year.

Go Sitka!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
I'm always interested in a new and improved rain gear.  What is the Sitka process/material?  Different/better than Gortex?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »
"I have been looking at the 90% gear. I have had Gore Tex in the past and found it totally useless for active ground hunting.
Even if you don't get wet from the outside you will get soaked from the inside and then it turns into a wet towel!
How is this different? I don't want to send 500.00 down the toilet."
I posted this on page 1; am not being negative.......just like to know how this works for active ground hunting compared to GoreTex.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©