3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharp?  (Read 715 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
sharp?
« on: June 08, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
How sharp is sharp? I have always like muzzy phantoms, and I hear some people say they come sharp enough to hunt out of the package? Yet they cannot even shave hair off my arm with or without pressure out of the package? I have always spent time adding a touch up to them.

I like hair popping sharp, if no pressure to my arm and the hairs pop we are good to go. Whay cant companies get 2 blades as sharp as regular muzzyblades? (replaceable BHs)

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharp?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
They can but sharper. A German Kinetics will be much shaper then you can even think. Ask anyone that has every held one.  A Magnus Stinger is also fairly sharp out of pack at a much less charge.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I have some stingers and they are sharper I agree but still not good enough to hunt out of the package. The silver flames I have heard nothing but great comments (except for the price!) but you know if you want something good you are gonna pay.

I wonder how easy silver flames are to re-sharpen when they do get dull?

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I won't shoot a broadhead at a critter unless all blades shave hair or cleanly slice in two a rubber band pulled across the edge w/o pressure.

If they won't do this out of the package (and few fixed blade cut on contacts will) then I sharpen them to this standard myself...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
I used to be real anal about them shaving very easy.Now as long as they cut rubberbands well and pop a few hairs I don't worry about it any more.I have seen no difference when it came to hunting.After accidently shooting through a deer at 30 yards with a practice head that had never been sharpened I realised "sharp" was good enough.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
Gee guys it sounds like some of you are "satisfied" with just an edge. Sharp is EVERYTHING in bowhunting.

I don't know if it's possible to sharpen a head as sharp as a German Kinetics Silverflame with any stone or steel but if you want something to gauge sharp by, they're it.

You might kill a deer with a practice head but a scary sharp broadhead will give you many more recoveries and unbeleivable bloodtrails.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
I agree sharp is not sharp enough for me. I want to be afraid of them.

I started a habit of everynight in camp I "touch up" my Zwickey's on a truangle. Something I always do. A properly placed crazy sharp broadhead gets it done everytime.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
Stone points, that I have seen, are not the sharpest broadhead on the planet. More game has been retrieved that was shot by them then any steel ever made.
 The sharper the point-the easier the blood trail. The duller the point-The better tracker you must be.
 Sometimes, it's more about the hunter than the equiptment. Did that make any sense to you guys?...Terry
  I'm not promoting the use of equiptment that is not up to the task/ just food for thought.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I've been using Magnus heads for almost as long as I've been hunting. Out of the package they come and go straight to my KME sharpner to get the blades REAL Sharp.

I also like to use Grizleys. Out of the package they come and meet up with my mill bastard file and then on to my KME sdharpner until they are shaving sharp.

If any one has trouble getting their 2 bladed broadheads shaving sharp I recomend buying the KME sharpner. Contact Ron,he is a sponser here and he will take good care of you.

Any thing less than a shaving sharp broadhead is disrespectful to the animals we are hunting for.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Well there is a fine line and lots of different oppionions between sharp and scary sharp. :)  I say hunt with the sharpest you can get them but no longer see the need to spend hours trying to get a broadhead perfect because it ain't going to matter when you are shooting through them.There have been hundreds of animals killed with file sharpened heads over the years.No one is going to tell me every one of them was of the scary sharp variety but worked quite well.  ;)

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
no longer see the need to spend hours trying to get a broadhead perfect because it ain't going to matter when you are shooting through them.
I'm sure I could put a field point through a deer with no problem. Doesn't mean it will be very effective at killing that deer.

A broadhead that isn't as sharp as it should be will not slice through as many veins and arteries, and therefore will not do its job as well as a sharper head.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I agree with JW on this ...sharp enough is sharp enough. I doubt more critters have been killed with stone then steal though, we have been shooting steel/metal points for quite awhile and there are many more hunters with better equipment hunting then back in the Stone Age.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
those stone heads were likely a good deal sharper than YOUR and MY broadheads.

if you have ever felt a decent flint point with your fingers you would realize that they won't make scalpels out of them because doctors say they are TOO sharp.

They don't 'look' sharp to our eye, because we say to ourselves "how can anything that crude looking be sharper than a piece of engineered metal...the answer is in the composition of the material. Stone points kill because they cut the crap out of the target...they don't PUSH through like a field point.

It should not take more than a couple minutes to get a broadhead frighteningly sharp. If it does, then you need to go to sharpening school- literally.

Go to amazon and buy a book about sharpening stuff..study the science of sharp and it will become clear what you are not doing correctly, but you owe it to everything you shoot to do it 'scary sharp'.

Scary sharp just means creating a wire edge on the blade, then stropping it off. The stroke that takes the wire edge off, should be your last stroke.

just because you CAN do a thing (kill with a field point, as an example) doesn't mean you SHOULD do that thing.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
Flint head can be sharp....because they chip off to infinity.

I remember my 8th grade teacher napping one, and then proceeded to shred a note book 12 and 15 pages deep like it was a razor blade.

That sure was cool to an 8th grader.....and still cool to me this day.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
Agree with some previous comments...I thought I knew what sharp was until I started shooting Silver Flames.  Unreal.  

:archer:  

Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the books Ray but I don't have any problems doing anything incorrecty.  :)  My way works just fine as I am sure your does as well.If I ever have trouble killing something with a sharp broadhead I might just go to that school you are speaking of.Untill them I will just keep right on putting holes in stuff.  :bigsmyl:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Ray hit it on the hea dwith stone points or stone blades. It ha sactually been proven through surgery on a human that the stone wound heals faster than scalpel(sp?)

I am not knocking BHs it is just frustrating to hear "out of the package ready to hunt" and then you think that someone is hunting with these?? Shouldn't be. If you cant shave your arm easily then it aint good enough.

My thought is why cant manufactuerers get the level of sharpness of a replaceable blade BH (scalpel) to a phantom or stinger?

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
James, You up in Durham? come down to Bogue Banks any?

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
heres a question??

If flint and other stone points are so sharp, (when I ask this question, I believe with all my heart the previously stated feelings on how sharp stone points can be), then why dont some states allow them for hunting??
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 03:26:00 AM »
I never shoot a broadhead at a deer without first shooting it into dirt a few times to make sure its flying correctly.

Then I sharpen them again. I have used zwickey deltas for decades; and they are easy for me to sharpen; this year I decided to try the grizzlies.

I got real depressed over the difficulty I was having sharpening them; and until I got them shaving sharp; I didn't put them in my quiver.

I use a mill ba$tard file; and a new one with each dozen heads I buy. I have used a small diamond shaped file on Zwickeys; but the grizzlies seemed to demand the mill ba$tard file.

Sharp is how we kill game. Yes; you can use a field point and kill any animal alive- but its not legal or ethical. What we want to do is make a lethal wound that doesn't stop bleeding unless it didn't hit anything lethal- anything.

My arm is shaved off pretty good; and it always grows back; and I always have my arm with me to check how sharp my broadheads are- and I can easily carry a file when I hunt.

I did shoot one buck with a stone head; although I really had no idea I was going to until it happened ( trust me on this).

The wound from the stone head was the most ghastly broadhead wound I have ever seen. But no- I had not ever shot that arrow with that head in practice.

At one time- not that long past; eye surgeons used obsidian to operate with as it can be made sharper than metal... thats what an eye doc told me anyway.

I would not though shoot any broadhead without sharpening it- and making sure you can shave with it. People like to check sharpness with their thumb; and I have had people cut their thumb without realizing it- and saying the head was not sharp   :saywhat:  

Its worth the practice and the cost of a few broadheads to get good at sharpening; and I suggest a mill ba$tard file- 10 or 12 inch.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©