3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do we silence our strings?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Why do we silence our strings?
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Or, more to the point, why didn't folks like Fred Bear silence theirs?

I was thumbing through a book about Fred Bear and I noticed that his bow just had a bare string.  In all the pictures of him, old or young, posing with deer or tigers ... bare string.  

Then I looked at the Schafer Silvertip website.  Looks like the same thing in the pictures of Paul Schafer.  Bare string.

So I took my most quiet recurve, put a bare string on it and ... it sounded like crap.  Heavy arrow, lighter arrows, lower brace, higher brace it didn't matter.  Much, much louder with the bare string; almost a bang.

I can't imagine it never occurred to Fred or Paul to twist some yarn on their strings.  I can only assume they didn't want or need it.  Were their bows that much better tuned?

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do we silence our strings?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
That's an excellent observation! I never thought of it. I'm anxious for the Pros to chime in on this, should be very educational.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
Good question. Now that I think about it, I don't remember my grandfather or any of his buddies having silencers on their strings either.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I shot b50 with just the brush buttons on the string for along time. FF is a diffrent animal.
SL

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I have always wondered why you guys put anything on your stings.  I shoot R/D longbows, which naturally are a bit quieter than recurves.

However my bows are whisper quiet without anything on them.  I would not have anything on my strings on priciple - robbing valuable fps from my arrows.

If you have the brace-height right, a good release and a quality bow (high percentage dynamics) - then you don't need it.

So there you have it - the old boys had it all along!!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
but...fur silencers are just too cool.. LOL

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
There was an article I read a while back, I think in TBM, about silencers. THey tried all types of them, and found any myth of losing arrow speed to be unfounded. They have no effect on speed.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
I've seen at least one picture of Fred with string silencers.. He's standing in front of a cabin holding a Take Down.. There are what appear to be small chunks of felt weather stripping threaded into the string.. One top one bottom
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
Sutto, if you get fur silencers big enough, it helps with stalking as you can simply hide behind them and move right up to the unsuspecting animal who thinks you're just another furry friend!

:bigsmyl:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
Ha Ha Ben!!  Now know why you are so successful!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:00 AM »
If they shot 10 gr/# then with the strings we use today-B50 or D97-it would be noisy.
I did a study of a number of actual strings from late 50's and early 60's bows, and found mainly 18-20 strands of B50, contiuous loop,teamed with those rubber balls, and sometimes propellers-that's what they used; and surprisingly quiet!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
Noise is relative, and many have never heard a quite bow!  Some of the old timers were spraying and praying arrows at long range as well.  Most of the self bow shooters have a bench mark to strive for in their fiberglass bows.  I want mine whisper quiet, and can get close on my glass bows.  I don't shoot recurves any more, and the noise is one of the reasons.  My recurves were very quiet, for recurves.  I like to shoot them inside 20 yards, and they never hear the shot.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Fred used brush buttons quite a bit. Which did a good job of silencing a bow. Also dacron strings were the norm(much quieter). Also, they knew how to tune their equipment.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Probably cause they shot at animals 100 yards away.  A bow can be quiet without string silencers but why not make it quieter?  Quiet before speed anyday.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline ccarp00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
If you have ever read the book "I remember papa bear"  it talks about how fred bear always used heavier bow strings than what came on his bow for two reasons one was to help silence the bow and the other reason was in case you cut a couple of strands on a sharp rock or broadhead so he could finish the hunt without safety issues.

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
In the stories I've read about Paul S., he seemed to be always just finishing a bow before he headed out for a hunt. Maybe he was just happy to have it finished and dry.

Offline Anvil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Wow. Great observation. I just went through Bows on the Little Delta and your right, not a single bit of anything on any of the strings. Interesting...
Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him.      Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127:3-4

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
The animals they hunted back then did not have the hunting pressure on them like the animals most hunt today.Like someone said they never worried too much about getting close before they let the arrows fly either.Thay would make a big difference.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Because we can!  And mainly because many are anal retentive about the details.  Sometimes it's the details that make the difference.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I would think no matter how quiet your bow is (unless of course it is just super quitet), if an animal is 40yds. or closer it is going to hear it anyhow. I would say it's just personal preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©