3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why do we silence our strings?  (Read 2403 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why do we silence our strings?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Another thing to consider is there weren't many silencers available.  Most were rubber, three armed critters or plain brush buttons.  They did not have the plethora of accessories that we do today.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested, it just occurred to me to take my father's 1950's Bear Grizzly out and shoot it.  Bare B50 string.  The only sound was a slight low pitched "bong".  Those narrow, thick static limbs are quiet.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
I've found TS-1+ and 450+ strings to be very quiet on my bows without silencers.  I still have a pair of spider legs installed on each of my strings, however.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Blood Trail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Yup! Check out all the photos of Fred Bear. Brush buttons were and are the way to go. I've been shooting since the 50's.
It's not what you look at that's  important-it's what you see.  

Thoreau

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
No doubt a lot has changed since back in the days of Fred. I'm sure most of us have played around with tuning, arrow weight, types of silencers, location of silencers, etc. enough to know what makes our bows quiet.
If you're not first you're last

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
We silence our bow strings so that we can hear the musical "Thunk!" of arrow striking ribcage!   :notworthy:  Dave

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I really cant think of a good reason to silence my string other than to sweeten the experience. I love the feel of a lively bow in my hand. Thats why I hunt with a back quiver most of the time and build em light-weight.

A "twang" or "thong" just takes something away from it. Mentally it feels less smooth or something. Hard to explain. I just know that the spiders are a part of my set-up and my string feels neked without em.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
Here in N Alabama deer jump the string the same if you use silencers or shoot a bare string. I quit using silencers about ten yers ago.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
I think early on they used linen strings and heavy arrows this made for a quiet set-up. Also in the pic. you show Fred is carrying a static tip bow and they seem quiter as well. Shawn
Shawn

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
In the early 80's when video taping hunts started catching on commercially. Some of the best bowhunters on planet earth (Gene&Barry)added some really cool footage of misses because of deer "jumping the string". Realizing how seldom that perfect shot presents its self, everyone learned the quieter your bow the better chance you give your self in less than ideal conditions to bag that trophy/ or the last meat doe for the freezer. Also if your bow is loud you might not get that second shot.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I've been looking for one of those old videos to show one of the guys at work. He doesn't believe just how quickly a deer can react to the sound of a bow.

I used to have one with Gene and Too Short. It was back from around the time when Paul first started making Screaming Eagle tree stands. I think I loaned it to a buddy and never got it back.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »
I stopped putting large fur type silencers on my bows two years ago and now have very minimal cat whiskers which are well trimmed or no silencers at all. on goats and pigs i have noticed no difference. deer may be another story. as for rabbits...do they jump the string? or do i just miss 'em?.....
cheers

ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Tune your brace ht., it goes along way, and takes a noise down, to almost nothing to you right, on a good bow.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  I can not remember any of the archers/bowhunters I hung out with in the 50's and 60's ever expressing any concern about noisey bows... I think for the most part we just accepted the twang as part of shooting and never gave it another thought.  But as the years ticked by and began experimenting with new stuff like aluminum arrows, brush buttons, and the revolutionaly introduction of the portable tree stand, we simply paid a lot more attention to details.  Brings back many memories....
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline Caranthir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
To those of you who have never watched any of Fred Bear's videos, when you do you will be surprised to hear how much noise Fred's bow made. It's a real THUNK. Yes, he used brush buttons, but from the videos I've viewed, they didn't seem to do much to quieten his bow. However that being said, he still took a lot of animals notwithstanding. Perhaps the animals were not as skittish as many of those today being shot at. JMHO Rich

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I use silencers because I like my bow to be as quiet at possible.  Might not make a difference to the animals, but it does to me.

They also reduce vibration in the bow--something else I don't like.

Chad

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Has anyone mentioned that fur silencers look exceptionally cool on a longbow 8^).

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Good thread guys and lots of good thoughts both ways. I too used to use strings with extra strands with the same logic that Fred used in that if I cut a couple strands it would still be "safe"...In 40 or so years I've cut/broke strands on my string exactly ONCE. So I put up with lower performance to offset a mistake that might happen once in a blue moon.

From the performance side, even the strings we use that we think are light, in reality are still WAY over built. So all the "tests" on strings we've read about are comparing over built strings to over built strings and they still quote differences in the 5-7fps range. That is the same as short drawing your bow 1-2". We all know that's insignificant and not noticeable!  :)  Might as well drop 5 pounds of draw weight while we're at it.

Once upon a time I ran the numbers on how far a deer would move at walking speed at 20 yards with a 5-10fps difference in arrow speed, I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the neighborhood of 4-5". 1" could be the difference between a short track and a lost critter. Since we can't make any bow totally quiet, a critter wired to jump (duck in reality) is going to do so no matter what we do.

No one has ever run an objective test comparing typical B-50 and "adaquate" modern strings but that typically quoted 5-7fps would jump to 10-12 or more in a hurry if they did. As best I can find the recommendation is a 5:1 safety margin. 50# bow needs a 500# test string. That's 10 strands of Dacron. Seems many use 14+. I know from my flight shooting bs that 4 strands of DF-97 is more then adaquate for a 40# bow or less. I use 6 for a 50ish pound bow and both are still overkill. I think we used 10 strands on a bow that was 140+ pounds without failure. Over building the string for durability or lowering noise is false economy just like over muffeling your car and wondering where your power and gas mileage went.

Smaller/lighter strings are noisy???...That's what you hear but no they are not. Take any bow with any string at 10 or so gr/lb and shoot it....Now take some arrows at 8gr/lb and shoot it. Did it get noisier? You bet it did and nothing changed except it's shooting faster because of less gr/lb, not the string. Go from an over built Dacron to an adaquate modern string...Did it get noisier?  You bet it did for the SAME reasons shooting less gr/lb made it noisier. That's not the strings fault any more then a spoon makes Rosie fat. Going to a lighter string is exactly the same thing as going to a lighter arrow. Go up in arrow weight so it's shooting the same speed as before and it'll be as quiet or quiter then before with the equivalent of 1-2" draw length more power, better trajectory (with extrenal dimensions the same), and less wind drift. All good things with zero negatives.

I like a quiet bow but using a heavier/fatter string to do it makes no sense. A little something to take the twang out, proper brace height, and more arrow weight will go a lot further toward a quiet bow then over built strings will. Just my take on it....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
I never saw a string silencer (except brush buttons on hunting recurves) until trad archery started making its comeback in mid 80's.  I see guys now with big old silencers on HH style longbows bows.  That's funny.  I think it's just a fashion statement   :goldtooth:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I can't speak to the days before 1969 but by then string silencing attachments were consindered "must-haves" in the circles I hunted among. The whisker and 3-pronged grey over string rubber spiders were most common (and brush buttons were standard).  About then I remember seeing yard balls on the strings. Some folks, a neighborhood friend went (I thought) way overboard with large string balls.

Last night, before I saw this thread I shot two different of my recurves -- both set up with the same string and string silencers (trimmed whisker and string leach combination about 1/3 down the limb on each end).  I was shocked how much difference there was from one bow to the other. Frankly, I was disappointed. The noisy bow had a very high pitched "bang" more than "twang"  compared to the other. The banger is a very popular and expensive bow these days and the most beautiful one (recurve) I own. I'm not intending to hunt with it this year but I'll definitely have to experiment with brace heights, brush buttons, and moving the silencers around to see if this bow can get quieter.  If this bow wasn't a 1-piece I would have sworn there were loose parts causing the high-pitched bang sound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©