3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ron Fox/King?????  (Read 712 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ron Fox/King?????
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
I read on a thread here recently (or could have been the 'other' site), where somebody was wanting another second-hand Fox bow.  However he stipulated it had to be made by Ron Fox and not the current bowyer, Ron King.

I was just wondering what the difference in the bows are - just as a matter of interest. Has anybody shot both and made a comparison?  I could not imagine how the Fox bows could be any better than the King bows.!!

I have just recently received my new Royal Crown that R. King made.  I can comfortably say it is the most sumptuous, gorgeous, tack-driving bow that I have managed to wrap my grimy maulers around. I have spent thousands over the years searching for a great bow - this is it.

I have just flown to Sydney for a bit of a break, and it would have been much easier to pack my T/D bow to bring on the plane.  However with a Royal Crown sitting in the armoury, one had no choice but to lug along the pvc tube - to suffer the inconvenience of the extra burden - just to be able to shoot that baby whilst on holiday.

Any thoughts on these two bows would be appreciated.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ron Fox/King?????
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
My Breed recurve has no serial number or identifying marks so how would he know?
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
One way to look at it is that Ron King has been building Fox bows longer now than Ron Fox did. I have only shot a few R. Fox bows and they were great. I'm sure he's a fine feller too.

I am a very loyal customer/shooter and can't say enough good about the current owner and his bows.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »
Yes Bear - I thoroughly agree with you.  I just can't find the the superlatives to describe this gorgeous bow.  I am so amazingly accurate with it.  At 25 yards I can smack all five arrows into a drink can.

Have never been able to do that with any other bow - or even come close to it.

The great thing is though - it is one of the rare beautiful bows that shoots as well, or better than it looks.

Bear - which King bows do you shoot??  Have you tried the Royal Crown yet??

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
There are two Fox longbows, the Royal Crown and Triple Crown, that are not available as a bow built by Ron Fox.  The Crown bows are both original designs of Ron King and built by Ron King.  The Royal Crown is a sweet and very accurate shooting bow.  A friend of mine who owns the Archery Shop where I go to shoot every Saturday shot mine for several days and when I went to the shop to pick the bow up on a Saturday, he said "I can't miss with this bow!"  If Ron ever builds a 3-piece Triple Crown longbow, I WILL get on his waiting list!!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I have owned and shot bows made by both bowyers, but believe I will have to give my thumbs up to Ron King who I believe makes a better bow than his mentor.  However, I do love the tips of Mr. Fox's bows.

After shooting the Royal Crown at a shoot last year, I had to have one and agree with the others who praise its looks, smoothness and accuracy. It is the finest bow that Ron King makes.

...and I will put my name right behind Bill's on that waiting list if a 3-pc. is in the works.
Lon Scott

Offline Scooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Ron King is a really nice guy to talk to and makes an absolutely beautiful bow.  He uses a great mixture of contrasting woods.  Every time I see his booth I make a point to shoot his triple crown.  Some day I really need to order one.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I have shot them all quite a bit. I'm a breed man through and through.

The royal is astounding. Appearence and grip wise it's not the style I like. This is a shame as the drawing, shooting, and accuracy of them is exactly what I like... unparalleled.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
suttoman,
Any more info abut the man that wanted the Ron "Fox" bow? I  may be able to help him. I have a buddy with one that he never shoots anymore.
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
'Gamegetter' - I just did a search on both sites and could not find it.  I only read it recently -and what makes it even more frustrating it was a fellow Australian.  From Perth as well - the same State where I live - Western Australia.

However that is all I remember.  I recently did a search on Fox bows and read where he already had several bows from Ron Fox and was looking for more.  He stipulated only Ron Fox though and not Ron King.  Perhaps if somebody else knows who I am talking about they could chime in.

Thanks for the comments guys - appreciate the positive feedback!

Sutto

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Yep you are talking about a mate of mine "Clingish" or Clint. Really nice bloke has helped me out heaps. He is a member of TBGA and Ozbow Sutto.
Ron Pittsley Predator Classic 59#@28"

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Sutto here is the thread you are talking about   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=021490

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Ok I sent Clint and email with Hamish's info.
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
I think he has the whole collection of Ron Fox's bows already Dan but im sure he will let you know.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:00 AM »
Thanks all for taking the time to respond to my thread - much appreciated.  Sent you a P/M Dan.

sutto

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Hi all, I am the fella that is chasing the fox bows. I have 4 at the moment all by ron fox . I have shot a Ron king bow and I agree that Ron King is as good if not better than his predecessor. The reason behind my quest is that after several years of shooting every bow I could get my hands on the one I enjoyed most was the First Fox longbow I bought.
Now it had been brought back to OZ by a well known bowyer from Queensland called Glen Newell he went over to the states to a shotshow and brought home the longbow and a Hi sierra 3 peice.
It took nearly 3 years for me to convince the owner to sell me the recurve so they were together again.
I then decided to buy a breed ,and that came from Kelly Buchanan in the US. He had had Ron Fox make him a matched set Breed and Longbow and as fate would have it I was able to buy both. I am soon to secure a maverick and then the last would have to be a 1 peice longbow as the other 2 I have are the sleeve takedown . I love everything about my fox bows and I am a bit one eyed, but after shooting them most people can see were Im coming from.
I Plan to get a custom bow built by Ron King at a later date but that will have to be a while away as the missus will kill me.
I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
One more vote for Ron King made bows.
 I have owed both, and the Ron King bows shoot as well or better.
 In my opinion one of the best bows out there.
"My health is best in October"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Hey 'Clinglish' - thanks for the detailed explanation.  

I don't live too far from you (Kalgoorlie), so we must get together some day and compare bows.  I would love to have a look at a 'Fox' bow and you could shoot my Royal Crown if you wish.  Would be great to touch base.  As far as I know there are no Trad guys or clubs in Kal.  I usually just shoot in my back yard!

How do you find the three piece recurve?  It looks really gorgeous and I really love three piece bows.  Unfortunately Ron does not make one in a L/B.

Cheers - Sutto

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Ha Sutto my brother inlaw is moving back out to Kal for a 4 month shutdown. He has a mate that owns a fair bit of land out that way and said im welcome to hunt on it. If your keen we can catch up for a goat hunt when im out there.

Hamish

Offline Puma Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
  • From New Kingston, NY
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Sutto

I own a High Sierra TD recurve, and it shoots as good as it looks.
"My health is best in October"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©