3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow refinishing questions  (Read 327 times)

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Bow refinishing questions
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Picked up a Bear mag riser takedown camo painted.  I want to clean it up.  It's easy enough to get the paint off the riser with denatured alcohol, but it barely touches the several coats of paint on the limbs.  Any suggestions for what I might use to get the paint off the limbs without damaging the finish underneath?  Also, appreciate recommendations for refinishing the riser.  Spray paint doesn't seem terribly durable.  Is there some kind of annodizing process that might work?

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow refinishing questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:20:00 AM »
I would sand the finish off of the limbs and refinish them. I would use spmething like rustoleum to spray the riser. It is very durable in my opinion. Primer is the key and proper drying time. You could also have it powder coated or use a 2 part automotive paint on it. Know anybody who does body work?
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Don't know what powder coating is, exactly.  Does it result in a flat, kind of gritty finish?  I like that idea.  Mainly I just want it to be tough and scratch resistant.

I do plan to sand the limbs when I get most of the paint off.  I'm hoping that will get rid of the last vestages of paint caught in sanding marks from the last refinish job.  Found some stuff called Goof Off, which is working, but it's pretty harsh stuff.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
You could use auto undercoating spray for the riser its about the toughest thing out of a spray can, and its at every auto parts store.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©