3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Step through or stringer?  (Read 891 times)

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Step through or stringer?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Stringer... for me & my bows.
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I always push/pull longbows, stringer for 'curves (now, after nearly losing an eye!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Stringer for everything.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
When I went to the Baltimore Trad Classic, Byron Ferguson was there.  I was very surprised to see him use the push/pull method.  Granted he does use a longbow, but with all the children there watching I thought he should teach by example.

Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I see nothing wrong with the push/pull method for longbows.  It is an option that should be taught.  If done properly, with safety in mind, it's as safe as a bow stringer.  I've seen two different bows go flying from bowstringers not seated correctly on the lower limb.

We need to revisit common sense.  You don't need to stop something because someone was careless.  You stress safety from the beginning.  I've never had an issue with push pull on longbows and think it's the best way to string them.  Now recurves?   They are best strung with a bowstringer...one that fits the bow and is also used properly.  

I quit stringing bows by the step through method in the 1970's.  That can bend limbs and make ugly shin music as well 8^).

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Push/pull everytime.  It's very controllable, loads the limbs evenly and I never leave my push/pull in the truck by accident.

George is right.  Someone getting hurt stringing a bow is a reason to pay attention to what you are doing, not to stop stringing bows.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Yep George!!  I push / pull 100s of times a year.  Always on a longbow, never on a Curve.

Heck we are so strong about it, that we give a free stringer with every curve we sell.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Davie C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
push pull for me.

Step through is sketchy as hell. I wouldn't do that with any bow.

Offline WDP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 02:27:00 AM »
Before I started flinging arrows a coworker here at our company back in '73 was stringing his longbow with the push pull. Well the string didn't get in the groove correctly and when he went to get a closer look it released. The lower limb was on the ground so it jumped and the upper limb went into the upper part of the eye socket which popped out the eye. He lost sight in that eye but returned to work till he passed away years later. He still shot after the accident but used a stringer. I on the other hand use the step thru.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
Changed my mind...I WILL comment.

First, no matter what method is used, there should be a tip protector on the bottom tip. I like the rubber ones as they are real tight. I do however take them off if Ive been out in real wet weather, just to ensure that moisture doesnt get in and get trapped.

With a rubber tip protector, I am confident that I only need to be concerned with getting the string in the nock Im looking at.

I step-through on my heavy 68" and 70" longbows. Id push-pull but my arms arent that long and its hard on the back. On a glass laminated bow, it's a wives tale that you can cause limb twist. If that were the case, they would take a set as well... and they dont.

Push-pull is my method of choice.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
I like my bows so I always use a stringer. I pack an extra string and a stringer in my day pack just in case I need to replace the string.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »
Always a stringer for recurves and push/pull for longbows.  

I don't own a stringer.

:D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »
I always use a stringer on my recurve, and use a stringer MOST of the time on my longbow (I do sometimes use the step thru method on it tho).
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Randell,

If you don't think a glass bow will take set, leave your best longbow recurve standing in a corner for a couple of months.  The limb lean is because the wood core took set.  The same thing happens all the time with "step through" recurves.  A lot of time they can be fixed fairly easy.  But twisting the limb while pulling it up to string will "set" the limb on a glass bow.

Of course on an all natural bow, you can ruin it with one bad move.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
For the amount of cash we spend on our archery equipment, spending a few dollars on something that will keep us safe, prevent damage to the bow and can be rolled up and stuck in your back pocket does not seem too drastic.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
I always use a stringer.

Not using one voids some bows warranty as well.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
I can push / pull my longbows up to about 60# but after that I have to use a stringer. Just the way I'm built or weak I guess. All recurves use a stringer.
 Also I would not use a block type stringer on any selfbow or all wood bow. Unless of course you really like hinges. Don't ask how I know.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I prefer the push/pull method but like Tim can only do it with my shorter bows under 60#.

I use a stringer most of the time and only use the kind with pouches for both tips.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
what does the block type stringer do to longbows??
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »
Recurve:  Always use a stringer

Long bow:  A stringer or push/pull is fine.  If using push pull, be sure that you position your body so that your head is not in line with the bending limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©