3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unheard of Fletching problem  (Read 642 times)

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Unheard of Fletching problem
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
I recently received some arrows from a professional arrowsmith.  I've been shooting feathers for 25 years and never had this particular problem before.

These arrows (like all my others) were ordered with three 5" feathers, left wing, helical twist.  I'm right-handed, shooting the same recurve for ten years.

Here's the problem:  when the arrow is on the string, looking from the shooters perspective, there is one feather up (paralell with string) and two feathers down.

All I've ever seen, or shot, is cock feather out and two hens against the riser.  With broadheads (wensels) they fly poorly.

The arrowsmith says he's confused.  I e-mailed him, talked on the phone, and faxed diagrams.  He calls it cock feather out, but it nails the shelf and , I believe, causes erratic arrow flight.

Opinions?

Thanks, Paul
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unheard of Fletching problem
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Doesn't sound right to me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
If they're 3 fletch @ 120 you can adjust nocks to cock feather out.  If they're glue on's, sounds like nocks where put on wrong.  Either way ( glue on's or tunable nocks) it should be an easy fix.
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
almost sounds like he fletched them up for an elevated rest on a compound, something like one of those drop-a-ways. I've seen some of the local compound shooters do that.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »
some shoot the cock feather up position as it may help with fletching clearance problems.  you have to use an ultra thin shelf rest material that will fit between the two hen feathers that are pointed down at the 4 and 8 oclock positions.  and you have to leave the corner of your shelf free of any rest material for feather clearance
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
i shoot with my cock feathers up and my arrows with magnus two blade actually fly better then with cock feather out
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
I should have mentioned that these are wood arrows with glue-on index nocks.

The nock is aligned correctly with the grain of the shaft.

This guy makes lots of arrows, but acts like he's never heard of this problem.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
sounds like he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:55:00 AM »
He fletched them for a compound that is how my arrows for my compound are.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline archenemy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I shoot mine cock feather up.  I shoot off the shelf.  The hen feather slides through the corner of the shelf between the bearhair rest and the side plate.  Works good for me.
I am my own worst enemy!!!

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Sounds like he may have used the wrong knock reciever,ie,the TM knock reciever in the Bitz supposedly places the cock  feather down,but could easily be rotated 180 degrees,placing it in the 'up' position.Don't know that's what happened in this case,but seems posible at least.Does the guy normally fletch for compounders?I'd be curious to know what ya find out.
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Just dip (hold) the nock in a pan of boiling water, that will soften the glue, and twist them to wherever
you need them to be.
George
_------------->

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
I've shot cock feather up also and liked it...but now I shoot 4 fletch.
I'll ask the obvious...how do they shoot?
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
Sounds like they were fletched with a TM Hunter nock reciever (older compound rest where the cock vane went down).

I would NOT move the nocks, because they are wood arrows--nocks need to be properly aligned with the grain.

Still, if arrow flight is bad, it would seem there may be another problem?  I can shoot cock feather out, cock feather in, 3-fletch, 4-fletch, bare shaft (not with b-heads), or with parts of some fletchings missing and as long as I do my part my arrows fly fine.

Chad

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »
This guy is strictly traditional, and for many years.  

With just a field point, they usually fly pretty good.  Every now and then, I see it porpoise (kick up) right after leaving the bow.

With broadheads (wensel), they fly tail high and right big time.

I believe having two feathers hitting the rest might require a higher nock point.

No, the arrowsmith says thats how he always fletches.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Paul:
That is how I also fletch my arrows commercially, I suspect the problem lies somewhere else. check to see if the point but also more importantly the nock in on straight! Not aligned with grain but straight with the axis of the shaft.
There will be very little feather contact with the shelf regardless of the orientation. When your fingers come off the string, the string is pushed to the left and the energy transfered to the arrow caused it the arrow to bow, pushing the fletching away from the riser, with very little contact.
 In fact that is how Black Widow suggests the fletching be oriented with there bows.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Like others have said he more than likely used a the TM style nock reciever.  I do believe this is how Black Widow fletches all of there arrows.  I think you have more of a tuning problem than a arrow fletching problem.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Same same here, I think its more a tuning problem. I fletch this way also, cock feather up as per Blck Widow and have never had a problem....with the right set up.

Maybe its a spine problem?

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Hi Bob,

Yes the nock is on straight, and the alignment looks good.  I recently saw the slow-motion video of an arrow being released, and I understand what you're saying about paradox.  But I have noticed some wear on the outside of my rug rest.

My other arrows with cock feather out fly beautifully.  With a higher nock-point, these probably will too.  I just don't see any reason to force another feather to hit the shelf. At least it appears that it is hitting the shelf.

I've been shooting this Silvertip for ten years, so I know how to play with it.

Why not just fletch it the way I want it, so I don't have to tune my bow for just these dozen arrows.  All my other arrows are darts.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
As others have proposed, I think you have a tuning/spine problem. In my opinion, if an arrow is spined properly, it won't make any difference the way the feathers are turned.

Have you spined these woods against your others and gotten the exact same spine? Have you measured the diameter against your others to make sure they are the same?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©