3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: want to start hunting.tree stand question  (Read 548 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
want to start hunting.tree stand question
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
I need a tree stand. I am about 290# so I need something sturdy. I am self employed with 3 kids, so getting hurt is out of the question. I would prefer something with a ladder, but they seem to get stolen a lot. What are the recommendations of the "gang", besides going on a diet? Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: want to start hunting.tree stand question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I would recommend lone wolf Alpha, and lone wolf climbing sticks, but, they are rated at 350 lbs.

Now I have heard that most tree stand company's tests there stands, and I was told this by a lone wolf representative, that they use double the weight to test them.  He told me that unofficially.

I'm sure they do test it beyond the limits.  The reason I say the Alpha lone wolf, is because of the bite on the tree that it takes, if you look at the assault, there's less teeth on it, and less area that grabs the tree, I have the Alpha, and 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

The other thing you want to watch for, is, when you go to retrieve your deer, pack you tree stand up along with your sticks, put it on your back and then go and track your deer, otherwise someone's liable to steal your stand in sticks.  Especially if you're hunting on public land, last year I was able to acquire 130 acres a private land, I'm really fortunate, God is great.

Good luck in your search

Carl

PS

I have never fallen out of my Double Bull blind !
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »
Screaming Eagle (not sure if they are still in business).  The supposedly were "unlimited" in capacity - whatever that really means.  Hunting partner had a few of them.  Seemed quite rugged.

good luck in your search.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
are you hunting public or private land? If private A ladder would be a good bet. With your size just make sure it's a healthy tree and stay away from tree step's. Remeber you dont have too go super high,you can use terrain feature's to your advantage. Use the wind and find good cover,leaf's,limb's,mutiple trunk's are my favorite,good luck.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Horatio,

In our local vernacular, I too am "a big 'ole boy". I use ladder stands only.

I am sure there will be plenty of folks who are themselves "big 'ole boys" who use hang on stands, and I have seen hang ons with weight limits up to 300lbs. For me they just don't cut it. I feel safer in a ladder stand. They don't shift as much or feel as tippy. Now, granted, a lot of this may be in my head, but what isn't? Ladder stands are not easy to move if you want to hunt in another spot, I have more than one. I am lucky enough to hunt on private land now. Our state laws are such that stands can not be left over night on state property, so when I hunted public land, I was strictly a ground hunter. I enjoy ground hunting still, but I like the option of stand hunting when I want.

I am not sure about where you hunt (public or private) or how your regs are, but I have buddies who hunted an area where some stands were going missing. They also used ladder stands and built them from treated lumber. The dang things were so big and heavy that it took 4 people to put them up, but sneaks had a pretty hard time walking off with them.

I usually make a point of looking at the sporting goods stores in Jan. and Feb. for good bargins on stands. I was able to pick up 2 very good 18ft. ladder stands for half price at the local farm and ranch store. They are already in the woods. I like to look for stands with arm rests and good padded seats (the arm rests, for me, are added safty since I sometimes like an afternoon nap in the stand, they keep me from falling out sideways while snoozing). Before you buy one of those "double" stands, take a look at the seat. I bought one thinking they would have more room. A mistake for me. The seats are very wide side to side, but very narrow front to back. It just wasn't comfortable for me. I gave it to a small size buddy to hunt out of with his daughter.

Here is the word on safety: Get a safety harness and use it! Most of the ones that come with the stands are too whimpy for us bigger dudes. I have one of the vest type with a 350 or 400lbs weight limit. It is comfortable and reliable. I can wear it over clothes in the warmer season, and under my outer most layer in cold weather. It packs up realativly small, and is always in my hunting pack. Since I always have it in the bottom of my pack, even though I may only be planning to ground hunt, it is there when inevitably I decide to stand hunt when the ground thing isn't working out. This saves a trip back to the truck, or worse a trip back to the house.

Hope this helps. I have several brands, but can't remember any of them right now. I can check if you want to know. If you go to build yourself one, holler at me. I have some plans around here in the office somewhere.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Why not simply build a few ground blinds? wrap the seat part of a climbing stand around the base of the tree to sit on, or buy a folding stool
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
I'm only about 190 pounds and I stay out of tree stands.  I want to see my grandson hunt when he's old enough 8^).  Please be careful with whatever you choose, my friend.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Safety harness.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Two words- Saftey Harness.

If your hunting a spot were you feel your stand very likely to be stolen you might noe have walked far enough.   :D  Get as far away from the crowd as you can, use them to your advantage, use a good cable and lock, and above all else use what you know to be HIGH quality and safe. Lack of confidence while climbing or getting settled is as likely to cause you a fall as treestand failure.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Are my chances as good on the ground as they are in a tree?
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 04:14:00 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Horatio,
I have hunted both ways and I prefer ground hunting for a few reasons, normally the shot angle is better, it's more exciting to me to get really close on the ground, I'm scared of heights, and I have the freedom to move around with little fuss. I don't use a blind per say but rely on full camo and natural cover. Last year I was able to draw and shoot an old doe at 18 yards with three other deer inside of 10 yards, the only cover I had was a large tree behind and a couple of dead limbs a few feet in front of me. What a thrill to be able to draw undetected with 4 set of eyes and ears so close!

Just my humble opinion!

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Horatio,

Like a lot of these guys, I have and still do, hunt from the ground. Like any other hunting strategy some things work better than others at certian times.

I tend to hunt my tree stands early in the season when the weather is warm and I might have trouble with concealing my scent. I just think getting up a little higher helps with that. Also, early in the season we have quite a lot of underbrush (pawpaws, dogwood, redbuds, etc...) that make it difficult to see at any distance, and can make good killing shots through the thick foliage problematic. Again, a little heighth helps out there, allowing me to see a little farther out and survey more area. The foliage can still be a problem from a treestand but not as much as on the ground.

I like to hunt on the ground later in the season as the weather cools off and the leaves start to fall. It's warmer that way, and I can move around easier to other places. In my area, early season patterns are easy to nail down making travel paths simple to set up on with stands. As the season progresses and food sources spread out a little (not to mention the wild card rut can through on the table) I prefer to move around.

Towards the end of the season when almost all the leaves are down, I will sit in my stand in the mornings, then get down and still hunt to my various ground hunting locations. Or, I may see a deer a ways away from the stand and get down to try and put a sneak on it.

There are things I enjoy about both ground hunting and stand hunting. Tools in the tool box, that's how I look at it. No more, no less.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
I would hunt from the ground. JMO
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
Screaming Eagle Archery sells a stand that is rated at 4000. Yes they hang a car from them. Very solid and quiet. You could use ladder stiks instead of steps if you wish.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Just checked the site and they are still kicking. Haven't needed to buy one in a while. Check our  www.e-screamingeagle.com     # 406-793-5599

I modify the cushion on my seats cause they are not the most cozy seats. But you won't find a more solid stand.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
i like the old Gorrila stands ( $50 new at the time ) and climbing sticks from sportsman guide catalog, ( around $40 ), both stand and sticks are very sturdy and will last a long while. i like to ground hunt to but watching the morning unfold and come alive while sitting in a tree that is older then you is a great time!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Your 290 pounds- but how tall are you? If your 7 foot tall; that's one issue; but if your 5'10" that is another.
 You should buy a safety harness. For putting up stands and taking them down; they really are nessesary for safety.
 If your short and heavy- then I would rethink using a treestand.
 You need to be able to climb; and you need to be able to put your arms around a tree. If you cannot do that; then consider a ground blind.
  Nature does not forgive. If you start to fall; your going to either need to be real strong and agile; or you are going to meet Mr Ground real fast.
  Safety belts work; but there are moments; like getting in and out of the stand; and getting up certain trees; when you have to 'free climb'.
  I have been treestanding for a long time; and I still pucker up at times.
  I had a friend that was getting out of his stand; and woke up the next morning...20 feet up and hanging by his chin on a tree step. He has a scar there; and fortuntely didn't break his neck-- but had to lift himself off the treestep: to get out of the tree.
  think about it.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »
I'm a bit larger than I should be and have used treestands without any problems until last year. For some reason I've developed a slight case of vertigo. So Iv'e been spending a lot more time in ground blinds made from natural material found in the woods. I have several 6 gallon spackle buckets that have been spray painted my own camo design. I leave them in the woods in my blinds so I don't have to carry them around with me every time I go hunting. I hunt on public land and have not had one stolen so far...in NJ you never know. Hunting on the ground is a lot easier than using tree stands IMO because you and slip from spot to spot much quieter and easier. Give it a try. There are lots of guys here that can give you advice on techniques on how to hunt from the ground.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
Don't want to get hurt, good.  First rule, don't go cheap!!  I found through many years of hunting that you get what you pay for.  Us big guy's have to pay more bottom line.  always use a safety harness, and ensure someone knows when and where you are going and when to be home, map is very good, unless a fellow hunter.  summit makes a great product, that I trust and I weigh in at 300.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©