3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows left in car trunks  (Read 321 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows left in car trunks
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
If you like your bow, do not leave it strung or even unstrung in the trunk of your hot car in the summer.
Two cases recently, one where a new bow was left in trunk, unstrung, when the guy got it out, strung it it delaminated, it was still too hot to be strung. Another guy left his strung in the bed of a pickup.
It delaminated.
Be smart, not hot cars, trunks or pickup truck beds in the summer!
John

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows left in car trunks
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »
It's actually something I was thinking the other day...will it damage your bow badly to leave it in a hot car - unstrung? EVEN if you leave it plenty of time, after taking it out of the heat, to cool down?
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I've heard of this happening more than once down here in the heat.  My question is, what do you guys do with your back-up bow when hunting in a hot enviroment?  For example, last year on a turkey hunt I brought along a back-up bow. I did not want to keep it in the truck due to the heat so I kept it tucked away in the tent and hoped nobody would come along and sort through the tent.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I wonder that too. Some of us like to have a choice when we get down the lane to the stumpin' grounds. Where do you keep the spare?

Will cracking the windows and using one of those sunshade things work? Or should I just make up my mind before I leave the house?

-Charlie

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Kinda what I was thinking Charlie.  I went to a 3D shoot a few weeks ago and wanted to bring a couple different bows to shoot the course with but the heat kept me from doing so.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Somebody needs to make (invent) an Insulated Bow sock....  :thumbsup:
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
If it has to stay in the hot car, be sure to let it cool before stringing!
Also make sure it is in a position not to let the limbs twist. Lay it flat. No pressure on side of limbs etc.
John

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Don’t have to worry about that hear yet still in 40ty and 50ty. I’m so tired of cold and rainy weather......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
One thing that worked for me when I shot compounds is a frozen bottle of water stuck into a soft sided case.  Those cases are pretty good insulation and a frozen liter bottle will keep it cool most of a day.

This would probably work for some take-down cases, but I haven't worked out anything for my one piece bows yet.

The insulated sock idea would probably work.  Or maybe plastic pipe with frozen bottles in each end.

How hot can a bow stand without damage?

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Is there long term damage to your bow if you leave it in a heated car, but leave it to cool down before you string it?
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Excessive heat AND cold can cause irreparable damage to a laminated bow. Wood expands and contracts with heat and cold. Even if an over-heated bow is left to cool down, one of two things can happen... delamination caused from bow reaching or nearing cure temps of epoxy and weakening those joints, or wood contracting causing stress cracks in glass.

A friend of mine had to hang up his favorite longbow because after not thinking and leaving his bow in his unheated garage for four days with zero temperatures, it warmed up and he strung and shot it. It felt funny to him and upon inspection, the glass running the length of the back of the riser cracked right down the middle for about 6 inches.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I always wondered about shipping bows in this weather.a bow sitting in the back of a cargo truck where it is hot enough to kill illegals left in there cant be good for a bow either..
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Stabow...don't expect a pity party.  It 100 in parts of the country..  "[dntthnk]"
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
When hunting / camping in oven-like conditions, I leave any spare bow in my mozzie-dome under the swag mattress early in the morning, where it remains relatively cool for the day.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline AllenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:
When hunting / camping in oven-like conditions, I leave any spare bow in my mozzie-dome under the swag mattress early in the morning, where it remains relatively cool for the day.
What's a "mozzie-dome"?

Thanks,
Allen

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
Great advice.

I just wish I had paid attention.

Here's a Duke Savora one piece recurve that I left in my camper trailer for a couple days when the outside temp was near 100 degrees.

When I went to string it late one afternoon after that time in the camper, I had a rude surprise.  The bow was in a flannel case and away from direct sunlight, but the heat inside was too much I suppose.  

Lon Scott

Offline 72highboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
I have been wondering/worrying about this recently also. Especially since I just moved to a place where it gets well above 100 degrees in the summer.

I understand that it is not a good idea to leave a bow in the car all day and get it too hot...but my question is what about a short time in the car? I am asking because I want to be able to shoot this summer and to do that I need to take my bow from my cool house to the cool indoor range, but it will have to ride in car to get there.

I have also been wondering about hunting in the extreme cold and what to do what with my bow. I might be able to hunt in North Dakota this winter and was wondering how to care for my bow in that type of cold?

Thanks,
Jon

I guess the obvious answer is to contact the bowyer and see what they recommend but that is way to easy   :bigsmyl:

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
what temps would you consider hot? and what temps cold?.....just curious....i store my bows in the bonus room above the garage...the room gets cold in the winter , never low enough to be the freezing point...but enough to make a glass of water cold if left in there during the winter...the room can probably near 80 in the hottest point of the summer.....no direct sun light....they are stored in a closet....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I started taking the bow I plan to shoot after work into the office in the morning, where it stays until I get-off. When I get home, I don't have time to row out to my boat for the bow, then back to shore to practice. I started this as soon as the temps got into the 60's. Lucky I work at a car service which is very casual. The guys think I'm some kind of Stone Cold Killer, or just Nuts.  I do need to "Kill" the stress of long work days, and nothing does it like sticking arrows in foam with a longbow! I just bought a 3 pc. for a back-up if I'm on a hot hunt. I reckon I can pack it if need be.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I figure if you wouldn't leave your dog or kid in that temperature (closed-up car, etc), it can't be good for your bow.

That having been said, I bet you could ventilate a truck box enough to keep bows in it, and I still wonder about the cracked-windows and reflective sunshade thing for when I have to leave one in the vehicle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©