3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kayaks for hunting  (Read 602 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Kayaks for hunting
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Been thinking bout getting a yak for hunting the wma`s around here on rivers. Due to drought the last few years I could hardly run my boat. Any of you fells use a kayak and what should I look for in one for carrying a small amount of gear and bow and arrows of course.Would use it for fishing as well.Anyone got pics of one.RC

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kayaks for hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
One of the best made for hunting and fishig is calded a walden scout (castlecraft.com/kayaks.  i've searched them out and it looks pretty highly rated. it runs about $600 or so.  There are pics on their web site.  There are various other makes that run anywhere from $500 to $1500.  i'm looking seriously at getting rid of my canoe to try one of these during the upcoming season. it looks like it could be fun or  a "cluster..." as we say in middle georgia.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Now those are some serious boats!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
I just read an atricle recently about a guy hunting bears using a Kayak. I think it was in a recent TBM. He did it all from the kayak, including packing out the meat. It was pretty cool.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
How do you transition from paddling to shooting without the game spooking?

Or is it just a paddle in get out hunt then paddle back?
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Wilderness Systems  make some really nice boats for a decent price.

I have a Pamlico 120 and am very happy with it. It should serve you pretty well. It's very stable, can be fitted with a rudder, has a large cockpit and plenty of storage space and can be had for under $600. It's even rated for some mild whitewater. There are faster boats and prettier boats but the Pamlico is a real workhorse and a great boat for general use be it just tooling around, fishing or hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Rc, i too have been thinking of a kyak or canoe for reaching some unpressured whitetails. i am looking at a hybrid right now that i might make. check out burlycanoes.com and check out the "wee lassie 2"  the lightweight of a kyak and more storage of a canoe...

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Most shallow draft fishing kayaks w/ a planing type hull designed for poling in shallow water will have little capacity to handle any weight. Much more than your own bodyweight and it will be PITA as you'll be dragging the slug down the river. A well designed displacement hull canoe w/ a seasoned pilot can manage some fairly low water while having the capacity to carry gear in both bulk and in weight. I'm a veteran whitewater canoeist, kayaker and squirt boater who has covered many miles in all kinds of water. I use a 16foot Dagger Legend which is designed for whitewater but it will also handle tight situations in lower water while hauling a good deal of gear and game. It is not a super stable platform for standing while fishing but it will get me and my stuff through most any situation involving water. If it is not enough water to get my canoe and load down river, there will not be enough water to get your fishing kayak and load down river.

Daddy Bear

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
I have had quite a few kayaks, both sit-on-top and closed cockpit.  My kayak inventory is now one boat, a dedicated sea kayak - 17'8" Current Designs Caribou S. This boat is awesome for long distance trips and fishing the Gulf, but it is not my hunting boat.  My hunting boat is a Bell Magic 16' in Kevlar ultralight layup.  Not as fast as the kayak, but a pretty darn fast canoe.  Used this boat last year to get my stand and gear into river swamp Apalachicola forest hunting areas and was pretty happy w/it.  I cannot imagine trying to get a stand and gear into these areas in a kayak.  Wouldn't work for me.  Good luck if you kill one with getting it out in a kayak.  Once again we're talking personal pref, but I've hunted and fished enough w/small boats to know what I like.  Check out fast solo canoes for hunting is my advice.  Tge
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
I have had quite a few kayaks and other small canoes, etc..

My hunting float boat is a Poke boat. I use it deer, duck, and goose hunting. I can stand up it it if I'm careful, and I can bring the dog if I need too.
I have a maxi poke boat that I bought used.
 http://www.pokeboat.com/

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »
I would think that a canoe might be a better choice. Don't get me wrong, I really love my kayak but it would be a chore to haul a deer on it. I don't think the gear would be any problem but packing a critter out could be troublesome.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
Those Poke boats look pretty cool. I've never heard of them. Man are they light!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »
John those Alpackas look real nifty!
Why don't you tell us a bit about your experience with them...which one do you own?

Phil
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
I own a Ocean Kayak Prowler in 13'.  It is available in Olive green.  It is a sit-on-top model which I like because the entire hull is essentially seald and if you would happen to roll the boat won't take on any water.  It is stable enough to shoot 12 gauge  super mags out of at passing ducks and geese.  I use it fish out of as well and I beleive it is a great craft.  Keep in mind a longer craft glides better and you'll get around better but a shorter boat is more manueverable.  I plan on hunting a couple of islands on the Susquehanna this year for deer.  I used my boat as a duck hunting platform last year and it worked great.  Incidentally while drifting down creeks trying to jump shoot ducks I got pretty close to within bow range on a few whitetails.  I may further explore this potential at some point.

Sorry I kind of rambled on with no specific direction.  PM me if you like as I can talk yaks for quite a while.

Greg
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I guide trips on the Allagash waterway up here in Maine and I would have to put in another vote for a canoe. Way more versatile, especially with meat on the ground, plus if you want to go in and place stands or camp and hunt, you'll have the capacity to carry your gear and a deer or bear.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
Phil, I don't currently own an Alpacka.  One of my best friends up in Anchorage owns one and uses it to run whitewater.  He's an animal - rock climber, big wall ice climber, marathon runner, competitive skier, Class IV and V kayaker, etc.  He has lots of outdoor experience and when HE says that the Alpacka rafts are serious pieces of equipment I listen.  

I'm thinking about getting one because the high-mountain valley where I moose hunt has a braided stream that runs through it.  If I take a moose upstream from the landing strip I can carry a 5# inflatable raft/boat and then use it to line heavy loads of meat downstream back to camp.  At least that's the idea I am considering.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
i own a Malibu X-factor. it is 14 1/2 feet long and 32 inches wide. holds 600 pounds with enought storage for everything. easily can haul out a deer with it plus all your gear. it is extreamly stable and will paddle better them a canoe. i hate canoes so i dont one to be one sided. This is a sit-on-top style yak so it is much eaiser to get in and out of. good luck.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:56:00 AM »
I have a wilderness sytems Ride. Very wide and stable. I can stand and cast when I flyfish for reds on the flats. Could easily hold a small deer. it's a sit-on-top, easy to beach and get out of quickly

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
I've been thinking the same thing Robert.  Like you, I usually haul them out on my back.  I think a sit on top model would serve well.  Let me know what you come up with.
Take care, Marty
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©