3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kayaks for hunting  (Read 601 times)

Offline prayerbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kayaks for hunting
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
If you want a really good expedition quality kayak/canoe that are extremely stable I suggest looking at a Kruger.

http://www.KRUGERCANOES.com/

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
you don't need one at my place!!!  just come up and help me do what you do!

by the way--now i think a pair of good waders will do better than anything in the river!

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
been wantin one also but too poor
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline SDTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
If you are dead set on a kayak go with the Hobie Outback.  The Hobies use a pedal, not a paddle system to propel you through the water.  I have the longer Revolution for fishing the ocean kelp beds in San Diego.  I have used both the Outback and the Revolution for hunting ducks.  I agree though that a canoe is a better option than a kayak becuase you are able to hold more gear/kill than a kayak.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
RC(hawgmaster) - I had a canoe. It was about a 75 pounder - to heavy for me to handle loading/unloading/walking to the water comfortably by myself.

I sold it and bought me a Wilderness Pungo 12 foot Kayak so I could paddle by myself and be able to load/unload the boat by myself. Also so I can carry it a hundred yards or more to launch it in out of the way places. . I think it weighs 30 some pounds..It had a fishing 'kit' added to it - rod holder, cool little anchor and paddle holders. I've used it in lakes, rivers, mild whitewater and the sounds with no problems. I know a guy who uses his to play in the surf with. It's very stable - you can't hardly turn it over if you tried.

You will get a little wet using kayak paddles. For you kayak experts, maybe I don't know what I'm doing is why I get a little wet... But, you could get a cockpit cover(thats what I call it) to help seal where you sit so you won't get wet.

I think a Kayak would be just the ticket to slowly easing along some of these low rivers and listening for hogs. Also doesn't take much water to paddle in. It's also a hoot to fish out of..Let us know what you do...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, I`m wanting something just for me to be in. Any critter I kill then or now for that matter I bone out and put in a backpack and with these south Ga. critters rarely will you have more than 75lbs of meat unless you kill`m two at the time like Marty does..I want something I can move on land easily because there are some awsome oxbow lakes close to the rivers I fish that you will not get a boat in any other way.I plan on finding some around here somewhere I can try out but I would really like to be able to paddle upstream a short distance and I`m thinking a canoe would`nt work too good. I also would like to get some "game" stickbowman together and plan a two or three day river trip.We could park a truck or two at the end of the trip location and hunt some very prime critter country for a couple of days camping on islands in between. Just a thought.I`m basically wanting an affordable 'Alaskan" adventure right here at home.We ain`t got Moose but we got swamp rhinos.RC

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
RC, I like your attitude ..."swamp rhino" and all.

No one has mentioned the SPORTSPAL canoe. It is light and has large capacity. It has extra rollover protection with the sponsons on the outer edge. You can stand in it to fish....

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/canoes.htm  

http://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

either company might be worth a look...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
How about a pirouge?  web page  

I have one that is only 12'. It takes a little getting used to but I have never turned it over. I have fished out of it a lot in small ponds and swamps. Can go in about 4" of water.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
RC, you should think about building your own. I can truthfully say that it is easier than building a bow. (just takes a little longer :-))
 Here is one called the Mill Creek 13'. You can totally customize it the way that you want with electronics, dry storage, sailrig and more. draft of just a few inches, 36 lbs. , carries 350-400lbs. I have built 3 mill creeks for other people but I plan on building another one for myself sometime soon, for the exact reason and hunt that you are describing. The open cockpit makes these much more practical for flat water paddling, but they still have a skirt if it gets nasty.

The boat below is my first boat, still paddling it. built 15 years ago, 18ft,60lbs, still in great condition.
Ill be taking it to blackbeard island again this december. Its not the best for operating in very tight quarters but unbeatable when you get in the rougher stuff.

fully loaded with 120# of camping/hunting gear.*6 days worth)

the killer combo, camping, paddling, fishing, hunting.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I am waiting on a Jackson Kayak Day Tripper 10.

http://www.jacksonrec.com/

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
THis is a great thread.  I have always entertained the thought of a boat trip for hunting and I have followed this thread with interest.

Phil, that is a very interesting design on the jacksonrec.  Be sure to tell us how you like it.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
It all depends on what you are hunting. If it is big game, I would think a canoe is what you should use. Kayaks just don't have enough room for hauling anything large. I have a Chesapeake kayak like Brent D's and have done a good bit of fishing with it. But now my 4-yr-old boy is getting interested in fishing and boats. For that I have an old wood and canvas 16 foot canoe. It take a little work to handle it solo, but it can easily carry a few hundred pounds. You can't beat a kayak for speed and there is good storage space under the decks. But there is little room for moving around on the water or hauling large bulky items, such as deer, etc.
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Offline Islander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally kayaks were for hunting with atlatls being used for throwing darts and less often heavier spears. Eventually guns were used from kayaks. Bows were not used for hunting from native kayaks. One of the best native kayaks is this one , should be able to fit 400lbs of walrus meat in it no problem

http://www.traditionalkayaks.com/Kayakreplicas/1938YKdelta.html

If I were to use a kayak for shooting a bow from then it would be wide , stable , have an open cockpit. Sounds a lot like a canoe!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks fellas. I`m not gonna be shooting from the boat just gaining access to remote hunting spots and having a buch of fun .RC

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
I hear yea RC, that what I would like to do also. IF these dang gas prices every go down I might be able to save for boat.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I took the front seat out of my Old Town Loon, works pretty good, next on my list is a Mokai, basically a jet kayak, uses a 5hp Honda.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Old town predator 11 foot canoe... i cant see a kayak working too well for hunting but i have hunted many times out of a canoe.canoes are also more stable
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
Keep in mind that many of the hunting kayaks (such as the custom kayak used for the bear hunt that was in TBM) are moreso decked canoes by design and share the same basic characteristics of their displacement hull canoe cousins. These are far different to the planing hull plastic kayaks designed for shallow draft which will have little to no load capacity beyond that of the pilot. I'm of the opinion they'd be worthless for big game hunting.

Other than navigating open sea (such as the bear hunt in TBM), you would be better served choosing a well designed canoe for hunting big game in out of the way places. I've lost count how many times I've been quickly hit by foul weather and I cherished my ability to flip my canoe along shore to make an immediate temporary shelter for me and my gear. This ability alone trumps any benefit of a closed deck. If having a deck over the canoe is needed for whatever reason in fresh water, you can easily install a removeable sray deck. Though I see no reason as a good open canoe design w/ a good pilot would have little difficulty navigating most any whitewater you'll ever encounter on a big game hunt. The open sea is a different story.

Daddy Bear

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
I have a Loon 138 kayak and a Mohawk 16' rolex canoe. They both have there strong points but for hunting, I would go with the canoe. Old Town made a solo model a while back and that sounds about perfect for what you want it for. Then again, I read about the guys out west who fish thrasher sharks out of kayaks. Talk about a ride and a half! Buy time you land a big thrasher, you may be miles out at sea and need to get the fish up on the front of the yak before heading back to shore. Dragging a big fish behind a yak will be like running in 2 ft of mud! Guess pulling a raft behind a yak would work in a pinch.

JL  

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
I like the looks of the walden scout, that is a nice kayak. Would like to try a kayak for unting, around here be good for slippin (or drowning!)

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©