3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Personal standard that defines good shooting  (Read 793 times)

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Personal standard that defines good shooting
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
What's your personal standard that you use to measure your own shooting?

Some days, I do well to hit the bag at all. Other days, I'm pretty much "on" as far as my limited definition of "on" goes.

So, what does "good" shooting look like when you're released 4-6 arrows at the target?
Remember the Alamo!

Offline Leo L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Personal standard that defines good shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
generally about 3-4" @ 20 yds.  Yet to be completed.  But I can tell when I've released a good arrow because it does exactly what I wanted it to do.  Mimicking that 4-6 times, another story.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
If I'm looking for an accurate measurement of my current average I shoot the 300 round.It's 60 arrows that ALL count from 20 yrds for a possible 300.

Thats alot of arrows for some folks perhaps a half round is better for those.

It can be repeated anywhere in the world and is a standard by which you can compare yourself with yourself or other's if thats what you wish to do.

I shoot 230's on bad days 260's on good days and my best half is 139

Oh yea I pay attention to that all important first shot too but working on making 60 in a row count helps me to anchor that #1 shot
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Another reason I only shoot one arrow. You can feel when you make a good shot. Standing in one spot shooting arrow after arrow may help with your form, I won't necessarily even concede that, but in hunting situations, it doesn't matter if you can robin hood ten arrows in a row if the 1st one isn't in the right place.

Even if I'm not "dead on", I can tell if I'm shooting well.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Will someone post or link the scoring procedure for the 300 round. I used to do it back when I was a kid but I've since forgot just what each ring is worth and how many arrows you shoot at a time, and so on. I tried a search but couldn't find it.
If you're not first you're last

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Lytic,

An NFAA 300 round is shot indoors at 20 yards on the 40cm blue face. Scoring is X, 5 (outter white), 4, 3, 2, 1. Ends are 5 arrows each. Four ends to a game, three games to a round. A perfect score is 300 60x.

If memory serves, archers are allowed 5 minutes to complete an end, and after 6 ends the target position is changed from top to bottom, or bottom to top (double line tournament only). It's been a long time since I shot in an NFAA tournament, so the second paragraph may not be 100% accurate.

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dutchman:
So, what does "good" shooting look like when you're released 4-6 arrows at the target?
For me...I'm more concerned with how each of those shots felt. Don't get me wrong...I'm still concerned about where they are in the target...but I want every shot to feel perfectly executed...whether I'm shooting standing up, on my knees, using a reverse cant, on my back, etc. etc.

I know if the shot felt perfectly executed...it's going to be very close to the bullseye.

I personally struggle with target panic so when I can control my TP 100% of the time I rarely miss...but when it rears it's ugly head...it drives me nuts!

Ray  ;)

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Given we are talking about hunting, I believe Biggie's approach is the way to go. Accordingly, I think defining success when hunting is fairly easy - complete success is a recovered one-shot kill, complete failure is defined as hit, unrecovered animal, with a miss defined as a "do-over".

Defining my success when target shooting (or stump shooting) is more difficult - am I shooting my 35# 72" Tamerlane with "soda straw" target arrows at 20 yards indoors or my 60# 60" Super Diablo with 650 grain hunting arrows at 20 yards outdoors? Bottom line to me - each time I shoot I want to enjoy the experience and become more accomplished. I do have to say that there are times that becoming more accomplished means learning from my mistakes.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
i'm with Biggie....my standard is that 1st shot from whatever distance i choose at my 3-d target, i want it in the kill zone.  If it isn't, i try to visualize what kind of trailing job that's going to be!
That works for me.
Randy
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
I too can feel a good shot when it leaves my fingers.  I think a good group is 4-5 arrows where the holes can be covered by my hand, at whatever range I am shooting at.  My personal standard for good shooting?  A double lung/heart shot on the game of the moment is what I strive for and usually get.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
Want to improve your hunting accuracy.....pick a REAL spot not just the center of the kill zone.

I like fat wrinkle's    :thumbsup:

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Another reason I only shoot one arrow. You can feel when you make a good shot. Standing in one spot shooting arrow after arrow may help with your form, I won't necessarily even concede that, but in hunting situations, it doesn't matter if you can robin hood ten arrows in a row if the 1st one isn't in the right place.

Even if I'm not "dead on", I can tell if I'm shooting well.
Me too.  I like to walk around the yard with one arrow and shoot a 3-d deer target.  I take my time and tell myself "this is my shot opportunity at that buck of a lifetime".  I find that anytime I practice with only one arrow, I will shoot better and my concentration is better.  If I go out and shoot with a quiver full, I struggle to stay focused on every shot.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
For me, there's "shooting", & then there's "hunting".

Shooting, I start practice cold out about 30 yds or so, (same for hunting practice). Before injury, I considered 9 out of 10 (90%) in a 6" wire circle acceptable for that range. (1st arrow meaning everything). I also fling quills just for the fun of it, stump & leaf shooting, aerials, without thinking about the nuances of form etc.

Hunting, it's 1 arrow rounds for practice. In the field, it's just basic honesty. I ask myself 1st, can I make this shot with a least a 90% certainty of success? I do NOT take bad shoots. A clear unobstructive view, full broadside, or maybe slightly 1/4ing away, animal's head turned away so I cannot see it's eye(s). Only then do I release. I don't get to take many shots, but I do get to hunt lots so over a season I get a few in.

2 longest shots I've ever attempted were 27 & 23 yds. 95% of my shots are taken at 18 yds or less. We all set our own standards & limitations for ourselves. My personal respect & love for the critters I hunt dictate my standards. But I'm lucky, I can get close to most critters, I learned to stalk long before I ever learned to kill. Shooting is just 1 part of the hunting package.

I do not bash people that have different standards, & I don't mean to bash here. But I did cringe when reading another thread about penetration & saw a pic of a deer arrowed with a head on chest shot. I simply cannot make that shot with enough certainty. That is my choice. He made a fine shot & made the kill. That was his choice, fair enough.

Another example was the evening of the last day of elk hunting, clear full view of a broadside 6 point bull @ 40 yds. Never entered my mind to even nock an arrow. A successful stalk was unlikely, but that is the route I took, (I did have faith in my stalking ability though, always do...LOL). I cannot shoot out to 40 yds. with a 90% certainty, my limitations & I stick to 'em for hunting.

Good shooting hunting is more about making good decisions than it is about the shot itself, for me.

As for the question, "So, what does "good" shooting look like when you're released 4-6 arrows at the target?". It looks a lot like "confidence" that I can take to the woods.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
For me, there's "shooting", & then there's "hunting".

Me too thats why I like stickbows better it force's by it's very nature to make the hunt last longer."hunting is getting ones self into position where a choice to or not to shoot  is made.

After that it's shooting.....

nice to see that 6" standard which is far better than the paper plate crap ooops sorry 9" groups so commonly talked of because of the kill zone size.

More than good enuff allows room for error and Mr Murphy loves bowhunters

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I was in the ZONE one day and shot 4 broadheads into the target at 17 yds and could take my index finger to thumb and encircle the group around the shafts.  I felt Holy and enlightened. .

If I could do that every time with trad gear I would be enlightened...

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
I like to walk out and pick a spot on my bedded buck target at 20 yards and hit with a couple inches of it. One shot and one shot only, I may pick an eye and ear or a spot on he rump. I can do that 90% of the time so I am ready to hunt. Punching paper i may have a different method but for hunting that is how I practice. I may do that 8 or 10 different times throughout a day. I agree with Biggie that is why I really only worry about the first arrows, if I shoot more than one it would give my mind time to adjust and that is not how it works when hunting, well maybe sometimes!  :bigsmyl:  Shawn
Shawn

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
I like the one arrow practice routine, but I don't take myself too seriously on the first arrow because I usually launch it as soon as I round tht corner of my house and the targets are about 80 yards away.  Looking for the first arrow is good excercise and casuses me to take the next 30 shots from five to ten yards.  Then I go inside and have a cold drink while watching hunting shows on tv.

Seriously, I do generally use one arrow when shooting for practice by myself and I try to make each arrow count.  I expect to be inside the kill zone on every shot inside 30 yards and within a few inches of my actual focus spot.  

Reality is that I almost always do that inside 15, usually do it inside 20 and am more inconsistent than I would like to be when I stretch out to 30.  Confidence is important though and like Kingstaken says, I think it is important to "know" you can make the shot.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
A shot in the kill zone everytime is good enough for me. If I had my wish, I would shoot ping-pong sized groups from 80 yards but right now I am happy with a killing shot everytime from whatever distance. When hunting, I don't care if the shot is in the heart, lungs, or both, they all result in a quick, clean kill. Don't get me wrong, I always want to hit exactly where I am looking, but as long as I keep it in the kill zone, I will accomplish my overall goal.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Great thread!! Im happy to see so many's focus on the first shot.

I happen to be an alcoholic (twenty five years sober thanks to the good Lord!) and the only thing in my human weakness that I can do of my own volition to stay sober is to not take that first drink. The first is the only one that matters. After that its all down hill.

I feel the same as many here that the first arrow too, is the only one that matters. Im a bowhunter and I have yet to get a second shot on an animal after missing with the first. AND, no two shots I have ever taken were exactly the same.

It only goes to reason that in practice, I would not shoot more than one arrow at any given range or angle.

Good shooting for me is walking through the woods sober, hitting whatever I shoot at within the limits of my effective range, outside of which I will not take a shot at game.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
Its when ur in the zone-if u ever been there then u no what is.

My summer routine is 3 arrows at different distances
an pre hunt only 1 arrow

:archer:   Biggie sums it up-only the 1st counts
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©