3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow weight?? How much is too much  (Read 395 times)

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow weight?? How much is too much
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
My hunting partner and I have been playing around with heavy arrows as of late for hunting. Right now I'm shooting 705g carbons, weight forward out of a 56 @ 26 Whip longbow (12.59 g per inch). Journayman is debating between 730g,, 54 @ 29 Widow PMAX (13.51 g per inch) or 800g (14.81 g per inch) and we want to know at what point do arrows become too heavy? Keep in mind hunting distanced is 15 yards or less. I believe in expect the best but plan for the worst, Has Dr. Ashby done any DOEs on arrow weight?,,Thanks for your input,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow weight?? How much is too much
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
Dont remember if it was O.L. or Ashby that said the heavy arrow benefits peaked  some where between 11-12 gpi.

Eric

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
IMHO....there is absolutely no need to shoot arrows that heavy at deer....but that's just me.....

I truly respect and admire the work Dr. Ed has done on heavy boned,thick skinned critters. But I believe way to many guys are taking this too far by crossing this over into everyday,"normal" bowhunting.....JMHO
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I agree with Guru.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
According to the good Dr. Ashbys' reports and some of the older literature I have read, the short answer is "Yes" - arrows can be too heavy. The variables were not so much in the formula, but based on the shape of the arrow, the strength of the bow, the concentration point of the weight, etc. The general consensus is that maximum penetration can be obtained by a long arrow with a nock end tapered design with 12 gpi as an average. This arrow will not be fast but will hit heavy.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
I believe you are speaking of grains per pound (draw weight) rather than grains per inch (draw length).  Anyway, an 800 grain arrow out of a 54# bow is quite heavy.  I shoot 800+ grain arrows, but out of bows drawing 70# to 80#.

Mike

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
How much is to much? when your accuracy suffers at the long end of your shooting range.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
I am wondering the same thing. I had been shooting Gold Tip 5575 with 350 grains up front out of a Hill Wesley at 55#. I just purchased some CX Heritage arrows and set them up the same way as the Gold Tips with a 100 grain brass insert and 250 grain head. They shoot beautiful with the same feel of the cast as my Gold Tips. They  looked like they were flying faster than the Gold Tips. When I weighed them they were 730 grains. I shot them through my chrono. This is what I got.

Sitka Grizzly stick 580 grains 173 fps, 39 foot pounds kinetic energy and .45 momentum. 10.55 grains per pound.

Gold Tip 5575 650 grains 165 fps, 39 foot pounds kinetic energy and .48 momentum. 11.82 grains per pound.

CX Heritage 750 grains 158 fps, 40 foot pounds kinetic energy and .51 momentum. 13.27 grains per pound.

It seems like the kinetic energy didn't increase that much but momentum did. I know kinetic energy is based more on speed than weight. I am going for elk in Sept 2009. The CX Heritage at 730 grains was by accident, but the arrows fly so nice, the cast seems the same out to 30 yards (haven't shot these beyond yet). I would have never thought about going that high in arrow weight. Will the higher momentum of the 730 grain arrow help me out to 30 yards on an elk.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Oops I had a mistake in the last post. The CX Heritage were 730 grains.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Arrow weight is too heavy when the trajectory is no longer acceptable. That might be 8gr/lb for some and 14 for others. It'll vary between bows also.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Well assuming you hit the right spot the extra weight might help.One thing for sure however the flatter trajectory of the 580gn arrow would make hitting a 30 yd spot easier. :)  Hitting the spot is what bowhunting is all about.When it is all said and done no matter what else you do it all ways comes back to that for a good kill. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
If someone wants to uses Dr Eds advice about ExFOC and single bevel BH methods then that is good.  Even if it is not necessary for most North American game it will still decrease the margin of error in a hunting situation and increase the amount of successful hunters and decrease the amount of wounded game.  When it comes to increasing the percentages of taking game there should, at the very least, be nothing overlooked if not utilized.

Obviously everything such as arrow weight has to be taken only to a point.  Like so amny other things there is a law of diminishing returns.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I agree 100% with Guru.

IMHO a 400 grn or 800 grn arrow will both shoot through a deer's ribs.Both will stop if they hit in the ball of the shoulder joint.

A guy says I'm only going to shoot 20 yards and under so a heavier arrow doesn't drop very much at that distance.Now you get out hunting and see a good buck,you think he is about 20 yards but he is really 29 yards,what happens now?

I say go out and shoot a round of 3D with your hunting arrow.You only get one shot at different yardage that you don't know.That should tell you if your arrow is too heavy.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
According to that study in Traditionl bowhunter.  10 to 11 grains per pounds gives you the best all around performance.  I say if you have confidence in it use it.  I am sure the extra weight is not needed for whitetail but there is nothing wrong with preparing for the worst case.  I beleive you should shoot the quietest setup that you can accurately shoot.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by O.L. Adcock:
Arrow weight is too heavy when the trajectory is no longer acceptable. That might be 8gr/lb for some and 14 for others. It'll vary between bows also.....O.L.
AMEN!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
In one of the latest TBM magazines there was an article that addressed something like this, and if my memory serves me correctly the "peak" of efficiency was around 11.2 gpp.  I don't know if this works for every bow.  I personally shoot around 10 gpp.  Just my 2 cents.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Frank, there is a lot of good opinions here,   :smileystooges:   however you cant go wrong with Doctor Ashbey's research.

@ 15 yards as you stated, you could shoot  1,000grain arrow with EXTRA extreme forward of center and there is no down side, only pluses.

1st: your bow will be dead quiet.
2nd: your arrow will stop for nothing and I mean nothing.
3rd: @ 1,000 grains the arrow only needs you to put it in motion and it will do the rest.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
If you misjudge distance you misjudge distance.  What's that got to do with arrow weight?  It's just as easy to shoot over as it is to shoot under.

OL's answer is probably best...  But personally I agree with the King!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to shoot with a good friend from W.V. at Cloverdale sat.He was getting ready for a Cape Buffaloe hunt and was shooting 900+ gr. arrows. He let me shoot two at a target ,67# Tree Cust. Bow longbow, and was I impressed.Only shot at 12yd. but did they shoot nice!!Talk about quiet and smooth shooting and perfect flight.Shot two of his buff arrows and one of my 580gr. and pulled them all with one hand. He,s shooting 78# and would like to have shot his bow but I draw 30" and would prob. only get it 1/2 way back.I f you guys ever get a chance to shoot a heavy arrow , try it, you'll like it!!!John B.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
If you will notice, the people that have only negative things to say about heavy weapons (bows and arrows) are the same guys that try their best to get by with as little arrow and bow weight possible.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©