3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Airline travel warning  (Read 361 times)

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Airline travel warning
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:52:00 PM »
I fly a lot for hunting and business and I think the airlines generally do a better job than they are given credit for, but this week I changed my mind. My usual checked baggage is a large Cabelas guide bag and in 100's of flights it has only been measured as "oversized" That is with one or two compact arrow cases and a takedown recurve with and extra set of limbs and hunting gear for most trips. This time the AIRTRAN baggage agent decided the only 2/3rds full bag was "oversized" and pulled and stretched it in each direction individually until she got it to measure 69", 8" oversize. I suggested that she measure it just as it sat there, WITHOUT forcing it to be oversize as by her method it would have been oversize even if it was empty! The bag only weighed 39#'s and I only checked one, so apparently Airtran has decided that they WILL get extra $$$ from their customers by any means, so they charged me $29 and their customer service offered me a $25 discount for a future flight, pretty good business scam, charge customers $29 each way for an bag that isn't oversize and give them $25 to fly Airtran again. I haven't had it happen on any other airline, but if you plan on flying with a gear or duffel bag checked, I would strap or tape it up to its minimum size, so they can't force it into being oversize.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Airline travel warning
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
That sounds like something that should be taken to the Better Business Bureau, and a complaint lodged with the appropriate authorities.

For an agent to work at getting a piece of luggage to reach the "oversize" measurement, might be considered "inappropriate" behaviour.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Had the same thing happen on a return flight to Guam one year, same bag that has gone on numerous trips with no problem. All of a sudden it was oversize and they charged me $495.00. Ticked me off but nothing I could do but pay as I needed my bag. To top it off they did not even measure the bag. The ticket agent just said it is oversized.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
i would not have been happy about that! i would have put up a bit of a show for the supervisor and manager.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
tradtusker, I wouldn't protest too hard. I did once in Atlanta, called the guy a bonehead. (or something like that) I spent two hours in an interrigation room.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
ALWAYS ask to see the supervisor in such a case!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Yep better too spend a few bucks on cinch straps and make it smaller before you get into trouble.  With the Patriot Act; you could end up being hassled pretty good for loosing your temper.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
It depends on "who" you get at the counter. I've been on a bunch of flights in my lifetime. Never had any issues because I plan for them. My carry on could not be pulled by a tractor to make it oversized. If told it was oversized I probably would pull a "biggie" and get taken to the bad room with an official...LOL
Coming home from Alberta in May without thinking I had packed some dirty clothes in my big duffle. Going up it weighed 48#'s, that day it weighed 56# which was 6# overweight. I cussed/yelled a bit and started to throw things all over the floor at the ticket counter trying to save myself the $50 overwieght fee.. I wasn't mad and the people behind me could tell while they laughed at me being "thrifty"..LOL
The ticket lady started to giggle and told me "honey, it's alright I don't have to lift it"!!  Oh yeah everything went back in and to customs I went.
The airlines are going to get thier fuel money somehow. My bear hide & skull were packed in a rubbermaid. This was my 3rd checked bag and cost me $84.00 dollars to get it home.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I was probably right on the edge of going off to interegation when she said the bag was oversize and it was a $29 charge, up to that point I was positive that she was going to say it wasn't oversize, which it wasn't. I have no problem with the airlines making a profit, but just raise the price of the ticket so we know what we are paying, this was just criminal. I would have insisted on seeing a manager, but this wasn't at the regular counter and I didn't have time to wait an hour for one to show up and be in a mood because they had to walk all the way over there. If they are going to treat customers like this then they should go out of business.

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
We had a news article on TV up here a couple weeks back and many of the airlines are looking at extra charges like these to dum up more revenue because of rising fuel cost. They were talking about 150-300 dollar increases for bagage handeling and other trumped up charges.

gald I don't fly.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »
I think JDS3 is right.... it all depends on who's at the counter when you get there.  One thing for sure, they've got the power.... and they know it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »
Thank 9/11

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
your right Biggie, not a good plan to end up in the "rubber glove room"
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Biggie -- Those unfortunate airport security folk are working by the hour, bored to death. I'm sure they found you most entertaining ... and maybe a bit scary!  :bigsmyl:

Rick ... in today's world, anyone who travels with a bow would find it a good investment to buy or build a take-down, which can fit in any "legal" bag for no extra charge or scrutiny. Until we cut the world population in half, things ain't likely to get much friendlier. Oh well, "they" are saving me lots of money I don't have, forcing me to hunt almost exclusively near home any more. The "greatest generation" was not only great ... they were lucky (in some ways). Dave

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
Dave, I only travel with takedown bows and they are always in that bag. I read somewhere about 20 years ago that they estimated the human population was three times what the planet could handle. I used to be able to hunt right behind my house, not any more. Not sure where I will be hunting this fall.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
I predict two or three legacy carriers and the price to fly any place one way in ssome cases will be $500.  I have advocated a hard golf bag for airline travel.  You can get your take-down, arrows, and most of your gear packed tight, but lightly.  airlines are used to dealing with them and they are good protection for your gear.  Saw one advertised in Big 5 for about $60 two weeks ago..
Always OK to politely ask to see a supervisor.  They are not really in charge, but can affect local policy.  I'm getting ready to call my cousin in MO in 10min ,in to arrange a bow hunt there ssince I got a deer tag only this year.  So I'll be followong my own advice-I won't have trougle getting out of the airport I manage, but may on my return trip-so I know the pressures and the rules.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Airtran pulled the same stunt on me the last time I flew to Florida for a winter pig hunt.  First airline that ever measured the bag and charged for oversize even though it was not completely full.  On the return flight the same carrier checked it in as norml.  Go figure.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
There are reasons I refuse to fly that have nothing to do with worrying about plane accidents.  This thread reinforces my reasons.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
I mail my Bow and arrows and hunting gear, in the samllest box possible, to the outfitter and then back to myself after the hunt is over. I also have mailed my clothes back in the suit case in a box. and taken my meat hide and skull in two boxes measured and weighed so as to not be oversized or over weight. I donate some meat to the outfitter for a wild game dinner for next group of hunters to get the weight down. Mailing stuff worked out to be a lot cheaper but that was back before they raised shipping rates. 5 years ago a small box(under 5 pounds) to Australia cost about $9.00 now is about $40.00. If they are charging over $400 for an extra bag it may still be cheaper to mail. And the funny thing is there is a good chance the mailed item could be on the very plane you are on anyway. :bigsmyl:
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Cinghiale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:00 AM »
Some secondary airlines meke it regulary...In March i was in Red Sea ( Egypt ) with the same luggage at the hourney there and back.

They charged me 30 Euros ( about Us$ 50 ) for the same lugagge when I was returning back....This is a blackmail..I 'll never flight again with that company.   :readit:

In memory of my old hunting partner Silberio : VIVA MARIA !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©