3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Texas Javalina Hunt "The East Texas way" (* with pictures *)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
This past weekend, me and the gang from East Texas went to South Texas on a javalina hunt, in McMullin County. Very nice place.

Lots of fun and plenty of ribbing and joking. Good friends have a hellava great time.

The picture below in of our group. Bunch of ugly old men, except the good looking one in the camo do-rag. LOL!

Starting from left to right is as followed:

David Shepherd, aka "daveycrockett"
Me, Mike Burch, aka "RAW HIDE"
Edward Hurt, aka "Bocephus"
Edward's son John Lee, aka "Never shuts up"
and Ole John Hurt, aka "LUCKY MAN"

I'm not to good at telling stories about the hunt, so maybe some of these guys will fill in the gaps of how the weekend hunt went and maybe remind me of some stuff I haven't said.

First off, we seen tons of animal, deer javalinas, coyotes, hogs, and so on. Everyone in camp seen animals and had opportunities.

I made two different stalks on javalinas and both time failed. Either they heard me or they were gone in the thick South Texas brush before I got to them.

The on Saturday evening, I spotted a heard of ten javies and slipped within 30 yards from them and squatted down in some brush and waited until they got closer for a shot.

At about 20-25 yards a boar finally gave me a slightly quartering away shot and I took it. The arrow flew true and within 20 yards he was down, BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Can't say enough about the damage a Snuffer will do.

The javalina weighed in at 48 pounds.

The equipment I used was a 60", 60# @ 30", Great Plains B-Model one piece recurve, carbon express heritage 350 with total weight of 175 grain snuffer on the business end. The total weight of the arrow and broadhead was exactly 600 grains. The arrow didn't even slow down until it was about 10 yards past the javalina.

This is a trophy for me. My first javalina. I thank God for opportunity to stay calm, pick a spot, and let her fly.

I also want to thank John Hurt (LUCKY MAN) for bringing me along on this trip and the rest of the guys for the great time.

Here are some pictures of the javie and me after the kill at the camp.

I will add some more pictures to this thread as I get them uploaded.

Mike

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Texas Javalina Hunt "The East Texas way" (* with pictures *)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Here is another picture of the gang and a picture of me, just kicked back and waiting for the evening.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Great Job! On both the hunt and story.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Did you get to use the Thunderhorn Boa quiver ?  Doesn't look like it on the bow.  Little piggies are a blast.  Even though they are not pigs, technically. Cousins to the muskrat.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »

Oh by the way, I edited the first post. The javalina weighed in at 48 pounds.

wudstix, David (daveycrockett) had it on his Black Widow longbow. I had a Selway slide-on on mine.

Mike

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Hey man. Where in East Texas are ya'll from. Athens here. I have 300 acres of river bottom thats just crawling with hogs, and I just can't seem to get all of em. lol

Offline Texas Tinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
coldsteel...I know a fella that can help you with that problem.   :bigsmyl:

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »
Rawhide, you can't not have a good time in camp with "Lucky Man" and I am sure his Kin are good people too. Congrats on the Javie, I hope to make it down there and chase them with 'ol man Hurt sometime soon.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
Coldsteel,

I also know of someone that can help with your problem.  :wavey:    :jumper:
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
awesome some day I will make it down there and do some hunting for those things.

looks like a blast
St. Joe River Bows

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »
Congratulations! Now you're hopelessly hooked on javie hunting....can't think of a better addiction. Good pics and thanks for sharing the adventure you and your buds had.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

coldsteel, we are from and around Lufkin, just give us the word and we can help you with them hogs!   :help:  I can't wait to go back and chase them again.

Here are a couple of pictures of the enterance hole the snuffer made and a picture of the cutters of this javie.

Thanks, Mike

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
Congrats Mike,   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
I was thinking that sure was a porky Javie hanging there! Nice job. We shot several of them last year down near Laredo and I was convinced they didn't even have any blood in em!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
Good Job Raw Hide. Congrats on your first peccary/javelina.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
For those who have not experienced South Texas, make sure you do sometime. The country is wild and full of game and February seems to be a great time of the year for chasing javies.

We had great weather and a couple of awesome sunrises.

There is nothing quite like coming over a rise in a road and  seeing 10 javies 150 yards away vacuming the road for those golden kernels. I closed the gap within 30 yards but they either saw or winded, a 260# gray headed fellow with a goatie can only blend in so well.

After getting on the same group right at dark and closing the gap to 20 yds or so, I had a shadow in the prickly pears that needed to take 3 more steps but as the sun went below the horizon all that was heard was snapping teeth of a McMullen county bristle pig. His sixth sense made him fully aware of the 42# Widow PLX and the ACC tipped with a 130 STOS that I had tension on.  Was'nt his first rodeo but a ride I'll talk about for awhile.

Going back in March with 2 good friends from Southern Maryland to include (TP) Tom Parsons the Bowyer of Kimsha Archery.

A great time with good friends and a brother and nephew who are counting the days until February 2008.  

God is good and we should be thankful to enjoy all he provides.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey Boys!!!! Sounds like a great time for sure!!!!

Dandy Javi RawHide!!!!! Great shot. Those Snuffers will do the job for sure!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
Thanks Guys

I want to introduce you all to some convict looking ole boys. They look like they just broke out of prison to go on this hunt.

First, this is David Shepherd (daveycrockett). You all should have seen him jump and scream when I snuck up on him and pitched a stick through the brush and it rolled between his feet. Funniest thing I've seen in a while.   :biglaugh:  

Here is ole John Hurt (LUCKY MAN) This man takes care of everything, from the travel arrangements to cooking. He's certainly on the ball. Makes some damn good deer chilly too. Shep says he will make someone a good wife. LOL!   :biglaugh:  

This is Edward Hurt. Good ole boy. No doubt, he's from the backwoods of Louisana.

Mike

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
Ole Lucky Man always takes care of things, good huntin bud there! I ca'nt wait to get down and chase them javies with him in March. Up here we all call him Cheif cause of his navy days but I continue to call him cheif cuase he was the last of the mohicans ( good hunt'n pard ) when he left and moved south. I'm really looking forward to sharing camp with him again.

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
Thanks Mike and John T.

March can't get here quick enough, and I'm thinking it will probably become an YEARLY event.

Every November I hear Maryland calling me to chase whitetails and since I can't deer hunt here in Texas the 1st week of November I guess I'll have to keep an eye on plane tickets.

I've still got a list of other Texas hunts that will take a few years to complete. " HAVE A GREEN PONY and HE LIKES TO RUN, especially South "

I like most need to take many more pictures than I do, treasured memories that last forever.

Shoot straight and track hard.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©