3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help! bow building allergies-  (Read 165 times)

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help! bow building allergies-
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
I am having an alergic reaction to fiberglass I believe.
I have been working with wood all my life including some exotics and have never shown any signs of allergic reaction. Infact the only thing that I know that I am alergic to is Poison ivey type plants.

I make about 3 laminated bows a week. I use smooth on glue, acetone for cleaner, bamboo core and all the diferent types of exotic.

I wear a respirator and lab coat while sanding and I have a very good cyclone central dust collection system.

I get the normal itching on inside of forearms, but also my eyes will swell up overnight and I develope a mild rash on arms.
Would conclude it to be Fiberglass exclusively but I can get it on days that I'm not sanding or coming into contact with fiber dust also.

I have some special lotion designed to block fiberglass coming and also a powered vent hood/helmet coming. Maybe this will help. It is tough to wear so much protection because it is hotter than haities in my non cooled, So. Georgia shop but I'm not willing to give up bow making yet.

Any Help would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline shantam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help! bow building allergies-
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »
you might be allergic to the epoxyglue.
did you wear surgery gloves during the glue up?
did you get a drop of the glue on your skin?
i know a couple of boatbuilders whom becom allergic to epoxy.
if i do my bowbuilding classes,its one of the first things they learn,stay away from the epoxy.
if you have it on your skin,wash it away with warm water and soap immediately.

i hope this helps

shantam
bowbuilding is fun

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
People change over time and can become allergic to things that never bothered them in the past.My guess is it is a certain wood instead of the glass bothering you.Glass is mostly just an irritation thing.I have never seen anyone that was really allergic to it like some wood types.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Try getting rid of the acetone, its terrible stuff and you can use denatured alcohol for cleaning glass and lams.I don't know if it will help with really oily wood like coco because I've never used it on them. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
I do use gloves and have very little contact with the glue. I was wondering about the ascetone though. I use it daily where as I don't come in contact with glass daily.

As far as alergic reaction, I should just say that my eyes swell up and my arms itch and develope little bumps.

Thanks guys
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
James is right on... Over time you can become allergic to things that never bothered you.

If I had to guess this is a "new" wood or some wood from a different supplier. I've cut western red cedar all my life. We ordered in two new units cheaper from a new source(for house siding) and this stuff was poison to me. I would lay in bed a night and it hurt to breath. Crazy; but a $40 mask fixed me up. Hot to wear but I can breath now.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline chessieboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »
So for every day come into contact with only one of each of the elements. For example Mon touch and sand bamboo. If no problems Tues mix some epoxy and down the line.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©