3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbons w/ feathers??  (Read 181 times)

Offline P.W.Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
carbons w/ feathers??
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Hey all-got a Q for you guys!!??
I have some easton 7595 arrows that have vanes that're coming off of the arrowshaft...do you think that I could get good flight if I re-did these arrows with feathers instead of vanes?? I tried one and it was shooting great off of my 60lb recurve, but maybe that was a fluke??? in your experience, if you have done something like this...how did it turn out???
thanks,
Derek

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbons w/ feathers??
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Derek,

Feathers are the way to go.  However the 7595 shafts are way too stiff for your 60# curve.  Might try hanging 300 gr or so out front and give them a try.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline P.W.Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
so thats why they're so darn stiff...That's what I get for trying to listen to the #)(&)^&# arrow manufacturers...anyway, what spine carbon shaft would work with this combo??? and the arrows don't seem stiff when I shoot them, only when I flex them by hand??? I have 125 grain points with inserts weighing around another 150 grains...do you think this'll work? I'm shooting off the shelf of the bow, and the shelf is padded with leather and has a leather strike plate...
Derek

Offline Aim High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Derek,
Wondered why you got so few responses but see that you only posted an hour or so ago. I'm new to Tradgang, this may even be my first reply - but I must.
I'm that guy! I shoot carbons w/feathers, off the shelf. Mike is right about adding weight to the front. I shoot 125 field points or 125 Wensel Woodsman Broadheads and have a 75 gr. insert. These work great w/ a recurve 45-55lbs.
Then the arrow is the Beman MFX Classic 500 (9.7gpi). I tried several before settling on those however they're not cheap, and I think less expensive models would work.
Last thot, is the leather on the shelf smooth?
This is more for hunting situations but I learned the hard, way that in cold weather, leather and carbon are not friendly. When you draw the arrow will make a horrible scraping, hissing noise(and the deer that's at 9 yds, broadside, with the sun in its eyes, will turn and run away!).
Anyway,
Good luck!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved
body, but rather to skid in broadside,  thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
WOW-- What a Ride!"

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
I shoot Gold Tips (35-55) with 100 grain inserts and 175 Garin Field Tips with three five inch feathers and they fly great out of my longbows that range from 51lbs@28" to 59lbs@28"

Offline P.W.Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
AIM-...yeah the leather is "smooth as a baby's backside"...no discernible grain patterns and is very supple...oh and I think I have the heavier version of those arrows somewhere...I'll just have to dig 'em up!!
STICKBOWMANMI-I'm shooting the heavier gold tips (55-75) out of my 60lb 'curve and am getting dead center flight...it might help that the arrows are cut to 30" instead of 28"...and I'm using the same basic set up...(125 grain points,150 grain inserts, and 3, 5 inch feathers that are parabolic cut...)
thanks for the replies...anyone else want to weigh in?
Derek

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Feathers with carbons?   Darn tootin'!  Home ground wild turkey at that.

Fletch tape and a glue tip for good measure!

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
SOS,

Good looking arrows brother!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©