3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Older guys respondes sil' vous plait.  (Read 391 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Older guys respondes sil' vous plait.
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
Please no, "my uncle used to  say!"   Or, "I've heard this or that."   I want to hear from those who used the old Hilbre points, either succesfully or not.  What were issues for you, what were myths.

The reason is:  I heard all of the horror stories, for the past forty-couple years, of them being junk heads, so I never used them. Nearly all of those stories were hear-say, or because the heads came apart when striking hard objects....like rocks.   :knothead:    I have been shooting one head now for three days into hills, stream banks, soda cans and dead stumps, and it has held together.

Talk to me about real experience with Hilbre heads....those with the nylon ferrule.

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Older guys respondes sil' vous plait.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
George,

I still have a couple of arrows that I made in 1958 with the old Hilbre head on them.  I had the two-blade and 4-blade.  Shot a deer with one.  Only had a slightly curled tip from a rib, if I remember correctly.  
Real hard to use hot-melt on...I have an example of that also.   :eek:  
I believe they are illegal in a few states because of the "plastic/nylon" ferrule.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
yeah man, I've killed a few deer with them. Don't really remember any failures per say. Only had a few and when I used them up, i dug out a box of black diamonds that I had. Not for any reason other than I already had them.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
When I began chasing Tennessee whitetails in the late 60's, I had some of these, but unfortunately I did not have a chance to take any large game with them. They did not come out of the package very sharp and these bleeder blades made it VERY difficult to make them sharp.   :confused:  

I still have three or four in my archery stuff.

My older and "more experienced" cousin derided me for hunting with them    :knothead:   and convinced me that the Bear Razorhead was much easier to sharpen and was vastly superior.   :thumbsup:  

These heads are just short of 3.5" long and have a true needle point. I used them on rabbits and squirrels, but can never recall a failure (since I probably never missed my target.)  OK, I lied...I just never hit a rock I guess.    :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Some additional photos:  I recently got a dozen that are virtually new, along with ten of the old Arrowmate 4 blade which were also nylon ferrules but with more flexible blades.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I only ever shot one and practiced with it a bit, I finally left it in a tree in Michigan, it might still be there, it never bent, but with the nylon ferrule there was no pulling the blade out of a tree!

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:48:00 PM »
This threat has my attention, of course! I always liked the Hilbre (for looks) and the Super Hilbre too. Classic design and the composite construction was at one time en vouge and certainly seen as "high tech" for "top notch" equipment ...
Anyhow, here is a small picture with a row of different models:

l-2-r: barbed Hilbre, semibarbed Hilbre 2-bld, 4-bld, Super Hilbre 4-bld, big Super Hilbre 4-bld

The treated ferrule would screw on a tapered wooden shaft, so no glue needed for the one hunting shot. Makes instant replacement in the fields a matter of seconds too ...

edit:
ah, btw: I apologize for posting here at all because am below 50

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
I have a couple 4 blade with the "nylon" ferrule on some old cedar from Kinsey Archery when the "old man" came up with some dark green paint that looked for all the world like a plastic finish.

I believe, George, that it was Jim Rebuck that told me that the earliest Hilbre had metal ferrules.(??)

I shot one into a terribly rotten stump... and it totally blew up! Never used them again...that was over 40 years ago.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
The "Rumour" was that the plastic ferrule got brittle in cold weather. I've never shot one.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
We tried them years ago on ground hogs, did not hold up well.
John

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
George,

I have used them, only animal I shot with one was a pig and it did not do well, the blade came off and the arrow bounced back to the ground with the ferrul still attached, very pissed off pig, had to shoot him again with an Ace super express. Got rid of the ones I had after that.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Picked up a few from Robin Hood Archery out of New Jersey in the late 60's. never got good flight from them, tough to get razor sharp with the bleeder and the turn off was the pointed tip.
Also found they didn't hold up real well....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I'll reserve them for whistlepigs only....no use tempting fate.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
I never seen one of them heads. You folks must REALLY be old....RC

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
RC, I resemble that remark...  :saywhat:
Lon Scott

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »
Who let that "pup" from GA in the Sr. Center?

:rolleyes:    :goldtooth:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
getting old sure beats the heck out of the alternative  :bigsmyl:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Dang Falk – Didn’t realize they manufactured so many different heads. Are there any more not pictured? Also, how much does the "big" supers weigh?

Back in the day, I shot what I thought was the regular 4-blades, but after your post think maybe I was then shooting the 4-blade supers cause I don’t remember mine being semi-barbed.

Thanx for sharing the photo.

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
In the sixties I admit that I lacked the talent or the knack to get a sharp edge on them.  Always liked the way they looked, but we always fell back on the old razorheads when it came time to hunt... easy to buy because most sporting goods stores carried them, and always easy to sharpen.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
I'd rather be getting older than being six feet under!  :scared:    :eek:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©