3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: reality  (Read 536 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
reality
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
I'm kinda curious about how many folks would be confident most of the time to shoot a BH tipped arrow at a game animal.Ya know the one where a life is at stake and it's your first cold shot in several hrs......

While many of us would love to have a 30+ yrd effective range the reality is probably most of us don,t.I'd hafta pass more times than not and I'm not that bad a shot.

So in reality would you take the shot most of the time or even half the time ??

Oh yea rack size isn,t supposed to matter I've passed on a 12+pt @ 10 yrds because I didn't see the shot I needed.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: reality
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
if its not within 20yds there is no way, too inaccurate any further out
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
Hey Tom,

Like you I consider myself a pretty decent shot with an effective range close to 50 yds.  However, when it comes to hunting I'm extremely conservative.  I absolutely will not shoot unless I am 100% sure of the shot.  Most of the time my hang-up has to do with the body language I'm observing at the time.  If there is any possibility that a deer will bolt, even if he is only 10 yds away....it's a no go for me.  On the other hand, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 50 yd shot at an undisturbed deer.  Cold or not.  My longest killing shot so far has been 47 yds!!!  The buck walked 10 yds and fell over dead.

Did I answer your question correctly???

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline BLACK WOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Yes...I would...but it would have to be an ideal situation...just as all the shots I take at big game animals have to be. Whether it's 5yrds. or 40yrds. I have to feel confident in the situation and my abilities.

I much rather close the distance than take the 40yrds. shot but if the right shot presents itself and I feel that it might be the only opportunity I'll get...I'll take it!

Ray  ;)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
I have shot farther then 20 yards at 3ds, but personally, I would pass.. 20 yards is my "comfort level". The closer the better. If I'm not comfortable, then I will not shoot.. We owe it to the animals we hunt. Bad shots will unfortuntaly happen, we are only human. So I do whatever I can to make sure its "right" before I take a shot... Great thread   :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Not really sure if I get what your askin? but if you mean would i shoot an animal I was hunting within my effective range and the correct shot presents itself even if i havent shot an arrow in a couple hours, then the answer is of course. Thats what I set out to do when i hit the woods with bow in hand
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
I would and have but NOT even close to half.

Very good call on that body language Brett    :thumbsup:   They can and will move at the shot if they already suspect somethings up.Body language tells a whole bunch.

My longest shot on a whitetail was 65yrds and he never moved till the arrow got there.In hindsite I was lucky and wouldn't do it at again at this stage of my life.It takes way to long for an arrow to travel that far.

So does that mean at least half the time it's a go??For me maybe 10-20% of the time at best.I just gotta know I'm gonna make it.....of course after ya let him walk ya almost always nail the leaf that was there at his feet HAHAHAHAHAHA

I personally prefer that yardage that gets joked about so often (17.3 LOL) Maybe I,m not that good a shot I guess even though my BH's fly darn good well beyond that 30yrd mark.I'll wait till I know and most of the time thats far less than 30yrds....thats my reality and I'm okay with that

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
I hardly consider range anymore. If I have an opportunity and I'm confident, I kill him. If there's any doubt in my mind or I have to think about it at all, I don't shoot.
Afterwards I may try to consider how far he was.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
I practice out that far... If it "felt" right then sure I would in a perfect situation. No brush in the way, animal is calm and not moving.

If all was right I would shoot the animal.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Swampbuck, What BH are you using? Wood, carbon, allunminum arrows?
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
"Not really sure if I get what your askin?"

Guess I was wondering how many of us actually HAVE an effective range that hits the 30yrds mark or more.I,m not talking those hot days when ya could shoot an arrow into the sky blindfolded and still hit the bull.

I see a fella wanting an effective range of 30yrds that hasn't been shooting that long.Sure that'd be great but in reality I personally think it's a lofty goal for a beginner and a hunter in particular.Sure it can be reached and why not try for it and more but the reality is that most of us won't be there for a long time if ever.

To shorten it up is your effective range,the range at which you'll conifdently shoot at game from most of the time out to 30+ yrds?

Most of the time mine is not.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
The number of yards does not matter to me, Ive pased on 10 yard shots and taken 35 yard shots but i have to be 100% sure i can stick an arrow in the vitals before i will release the arrow on any given shot. For me each one is differant.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
I'd take it under good conditions.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
"Swampbuck, What BH are you using? Wood, carbon, allunminum arrows?"

Not sure what that has to do with one's effective range LOL If stand hunting I use a BH of my own creation so that I know where to look for it after it blows thru.From the ground at this time I'm shooting the big 2 blade magnus with 125 steel adaptors bot on carbon arrows.I've had good success with thunderheads,satalite titans,razorbacks and wasp heads.also used all 3 types of arrows at one time or another.

Maybe I shoulda asked how often "good conditions" happen LOL Even in the wide open and broadside part of "good conditions" has to do with how we feel about it at the time.

For myself "most" of the time it's to far.I suspect that for most it's to far most of the time but thats just a guess....not always just most of the time    :D

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
I'd rather take a 30yd shot than a 20yd....
30 yds is a favorite distance of mine....
    And the reason I Beaver hunt is what this post is all about....
    Being cold no warm up shots and you have to make a shot....Beaver huntin is the best practic for Hunting....
    Plus you add in darkness and moving targets....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
Tom I do it almost every time I shoot an animal, I know what range I'm comfortable with and I know what shots I like. I will wait for the right shot and when it comes i take it, I shoot as much as I can and even more during season, especially before I go out, most times I sit for many hours in the cold waiting for that shot, that is why I shoot lower poundage bows so when I'm cold and stiff I can still get her back. Made that mistake during my compound days when it was cold, it was a lesson I never forgot. So to answer your question if it's the right shot I take it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
No disrespect intended but the topic is "reality".
Being "100%" sure of a 50 yard shot or a 35 yard shot seems unrealistic. 99%, maybe. IMHO.
Brian  :campfire:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
I dont think in terms of yardage either. Every situation is different. What I do know is that every killing shot Ive made felt perfect. I know that feeling and I know the feelngs that led up to those shots. If I feel it I take it. If I dont feel it I dont take it.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Perhaps I'm just a tad too cautious LOL

I remember yr before last eyeballin a doe @ 30yrd(app)slightly quarting away with her vitals open perfecty between 2 large trees about 15 yrds out

First thought..."Man if you were foam I'd pound you"
 I,m pretty dang sure I'd have made the shot and on foam it's not likely I'd have missed the kill zone....my go button didn't go off and she walked away

The plus side of being picky about shots is that if ya wait for just the right shot there's a good chance you'll hafta "hunt" longer to get it.I like the hunt more than the shot and contrary to what some think the hunt is over once ya commit to the shot...then it's shooting

LOL horatio thats funny.....There is no such thing in this game as 100% to many things can happen beyond our control

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I spend way more time watching than shooting :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©