3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In my sons honor/memory  (Read 2501 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: In my sons honor/memory
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks katie! But as luck would have it, again I saw not hide, hair, nor shadowy form of a deer. I was entertained by a huge flock of starlings. There had to be atleast 2000 birds in this group. I believe they were playing scherades (sp). First they were a black cloud, then they were leaves on the otherwise bare trees. But my favorite game was the black wave. They landed in the small field a few at a time and as the last ones landed the ones at the back would fly forward of the pack in a wave like motion.

They would land in the trees around me and I could hear "things" dropping to the dry leaves. Wondered when I would catch one on top of the head. When they took off in unison it sounded like a wave crashing into the shore.

The wool is doing a good job of keeping me warm. I had three layers on last night. My husband was tilling the fields up wind but nothing came my way. The very best time to hunt that spot is when he is harvesting the crops in those fields. I had a dozen deer around me the first year. And last year he drove that bruiser to me that savagely attacked a tree not 10 yds from my hide!

I was hunting 40 yds down wind of a fresh scrape and rub. And I was out plenty early. I'm thinking about trying public land, and I'm always trying for landowner permission.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Barbara
Sounds nice. I use Chartreuse feathers with a chartreuse wrap to make them easier for me to see.
Tom

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Put a chartreuse tracer on that also and you will have a combo that looks like a lazer light!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
I saw an eight point buck 200 yds from our yard tonight on the property I hunt at about 5pm. I had to work but called in sick. Worked with a sick co-worker on Sat. and Sun. and guess what! It's the first deer all year that I've seen on this property in the day light.

He wasn't a monster but was still exciting to see.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
BEST OF LUCK!! GIT 'ER DONE!!
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Thanks Harv!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »
I hunted a few times this weekend with no luck. Took a couple of shots at squirels and missed low. Turns out my tied on nock had slipped up. Put on a sturdier serving type nock so that shouldn't happen again. I would hate to shoot at a deer with it like that.

Milt Been of Wildcat Canyon Archery sent me the arrows I ordered when I wasn't sure I was going to get my primitives going. He sent me nine arrows free of charge because he couldn't get them footed like I wanted. And he used some crimson barred feathers he was saving for something "special". What a guy!

I posted pictures on another thread but here is one shot.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
WOW!!!!! Bona those are real nice  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
When I got home from work yesterday morning I got online for a few then showered and went to the woods. I slept for about three hours and then hunted. All I saw was a ground hog. It nearly walked over the toe of my boot, going back to his den that I found the other day. I should have reached down and touched his fur as he walked under the log I was sitting on. Have I mentioned how much I like this Shaggie coat?

I was expected to go to a birthday dinner so I had to leave just before magic time. My husband came back on the four wheeler to get me. I decided to play a little so I didn't move. He couldn't find me til I waved at him.

I have next week off. I plan to devote a lot of time to the hunt. I have invited a fellow trad bow hunter to hunt with me on this property. He had told me the owners had offered to let him hunt it but he had turned down the offer because he knew that I hunted it. He was pleased with the offer. Turns out he doesn't have much land to hunt on. We will probably do some tag team calling. He invited me to use his bow forms and such to make a fiberglass bow quite some time ago and I just kinda got a hanker'n to make a glass bow so I will be doing that but probably after deer season.

The weather here is going to turn cool and rainy next week so with all things considered, I'm expecting some good hunting!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline blueline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
You go Gal!!! The time and weather are right!!

Blueline
Blueline

Mahaska  66" 47 @ 29
Morrison 58" 54 @ 28
Bear grizzly 58" 45@28

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Good luck!  Hope this is your week.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Your gonna connect Katie, you got a little boy pray'n for ya! That's so sweet.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
I hope you get lucky with it and in doing so remember only the good things about the time you had with him. Good Luck

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
That is just awesome. Thanks for sharing a little bit of your hunt. Jawge

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
I haven't been on for an update because there hasn't been much to tell. Bunnys, sguirrels, and birds up close and personal with me in my shaggie suit. No deer. Until last night. No shot offered but good to see my quarry. Young buck at twilight came my way but turned off the route that would have brought him past me. He went through a small patch of trees in front of me but too far and stopped for only a second looking my way when I used my grunt tube. Tried doe bleats too but didn't take the bait. (So to speak). He toyed with my emotions for several minutes, going so far then turning and coming back again. Ended up exiting stage left. I have a plan to be there tonight but further down the line at a spot before he likes to turn off. He's made a trail there so I should be able to find the spot I want. Where I set up last night had tracks, droppings, trails and rubs. First time hunting this area. My usual place is getting worse. The neighbor further north just put up some fence bisecting the area I hunt.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Just some side notes:

I will not be taking my son's bow out tonight. It's raining pretty good and the finish turned white in a few spots from getting wet some how while I was in Illinois.

I was joking with my husband about getting a sign about the number 4. I told him to use the number 4 if he played the lottery at all yesterday. He played the daily 4, chose the numbers 1313 because of a receipt after buying gas, which if you notice adds up to 4 and 4. He didn't win. But the winning number was 4313! The buck I saw may have been a 4 pt.

I had a bad dream this morning about hunting the buck I saw last night. To make a long, weird story short. He turned out to be a moose. I woke up wondering how much trouble I was in. We don't have moose in Indiana, let alone a season for them!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
If you don't have a season for them, then chances are there is no law protecting them.  I say, shoot the moose!
Maybe it means a "moose like" buck will be heading your way this eve.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
"I say, shoot the moose!" Katie

I like the way you think Katie!

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything. But I plan to keep trying!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
That is how it's done, Bona. You will connect, because you have the drive!

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
I have an old man that lives down my road.  He swears up and down that he has seen a moose in his yard many times.  I am thinking it might be my monster buck.  But have to take him on his word and hope it is a moose in Iowa!  He,he.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©