3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stain for maple veneers????  (Read 437 times)

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
Stain for maple veneers????
« on: June 19, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I have some curly maple veneers that i need to stain that will be under clear glass.Can someone tell me what type of stain is compatible with smooth on?  I also need to stain the riser i will be using thunderbird sealer.  Any suggestions??  thanks

Stephen

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stain for maple veneers????
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Stephen use Alachol base stains or water base stains. 3-Rivers sells them, so does Bingham's. Don't use any oil base stains. Min-Wax also sells a water base stain. You can also use Rit Dye, I have heard that the food coloring they use on cake frostings works great on Bows and on Arrows, thou I have never tries any....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :)    :D    :D    :D

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the quik response. Now i gotta get busy on these bows.

Stephen

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Ditto on what One Shot said. I like alcohol based for maple. For best results tho with alcohol its good to flood the field you are staining then wipe off. If you just wipe it on it can get streaky because it absorbs and dries quikly and areas already stained will take more stain. Water based isnt as tricky because the wood surface will only take so much at a time.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Stephen, You may want to check out "Track of the Wolf". They are a muzzleloader supply place and have lots of different stains that are made just for maple. I know from using them that they realy bring out the curl. I am not sure if they are alcohol base or how they will work with smooth on. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©