3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "2nd Annual Rough Mountain Rendezvous"  (Read 2496 times)

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "2nd Annual Rough Mountain Rendezvous"
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 02:36:00 AM »
Rob could you send me your cell#??? I'm pretty sure I can find the little store but am a little shaky after that???
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
I might be interested, I need more details.
Is this on public property. October or November?
John

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
its on nat. forest in oct.,john.not too far from where i live.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Got company that weekend.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
We are going to Ohio that week in October, wish I could make it.
John

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Just an FYI for you guys.  I don't know what it will be like near Rough Mountain but the National Forest near my house has no acorns.  I walked quite a bit Saturday and the week before season and I've found probably 5 acorns that were from this year.  What's odd is that my place, which is just 5 miles across the river from there has so many acorns it's a hazard to walk.  Not sure if it's elevation that had a heavy frost this spring or what but I couldn't find a good tree.  The good news is if you CAN find a bearing tree you are probably in for a good hunt.  Rob, have you been able to get any advance scouting in?

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
TTT  

How about a scouting report Rob????????

:pray:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I'm out. Babysetter fell through.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Springstutter is babysitting and that's all she wrote? C'mon, if I gotta work, you gotta feed me stories!

Killdeer  :coffee:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »
Rob (PaleFace) killed a 6pt.  Deer were seen but only one tagged.
Ron ( BigRonHuntAlot) was once again the camp chef and we all ate well, I brought venison BBQ and cole slaw.
The weather was sunny but mornings found frozen water in all containers, 29-34 degrees overnight.
I arrived Monday at 1:00 PM and stayed until Wednesday 10:30 AM.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2008, 05:35:00 AM »
It breaks my heart I didn't get to go.. Got any cool pics like you did last year??? Who all showed??

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by String Cutter:
It breaks my heart I didn't get to go.. Got any cool pics like you did last year??? Who all showed??
No pictures from me but Rob will post some I'm sure.
Those that showed up:
Bob Walker
Ron
Mack
Ed
Rob
and myself
Oh, Ed did shoot a small bear out of a tree that wasn't recovered.  I don't know how I forgot to mention that previously.  Ed does have pictures too.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Finally getting a minute to post some pics and the story.

Arrived in camp Friday evening and set up most everything in the dark. (always fun)!  Hey not gonna complain though, I was back in one of my most favorite places to hunt.  This trip made 38 years that I have been wandering around this piece of National Forest.  It would be be my 21st trip bowhunting Rough Mountain.  

Saturday was used mostly to finish setting up camp and to do a little scouting.  Sunday I made my way back on the ridge that was given the name "Rob's Roost" years ago after several successful hunts. I know some of you have this special place that just seems to have the good medicine.  This one is mine and I have had the fortune of taking a lot of game up there.  

Any way I got my stand hung and everything ready for Monday morning. Sunday we sat around the camp fire and enjoyed old friendships and new ones.  O' and of course there were stories rolling from past hunts and good times.

It was a late night, but I was pumped to finally get up on my ridge with bow in hand.  Monday's weather looked to be down right perfect. Mid 30's at days break with the highs just peeking into the 50's. The was cold when I first slid in, but soon felt warm and I drifted off to sleep with visions of that big buck dancing in my head.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Here is a picture from the site of last year's "Rough Mountain Rendezvous" camp site.  In the background is the southern end of Rough Mountain.

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Great stuff!  Sure am looking forward to "the rest of the story"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
the alarm on my cell phone went off at 5:00am. I could see the glow from a lantern in the cook tent. we were all pumped to get in the woods.  i grabbed a few snacks, a couple bottles of water for my pack and fired up my truck. the cab of pick up had just started to warm up by the time i reached my parking spot and with a few minutes to spare i decided to sit there and warm up a little before making the mile hike up to the top of my ridge.  

I have walked up this ridge so many times in the past that I can just about do it blind folded in the dark. the eastern sky was just beginning to lighten up as i reached the tree where my stand hung.

since this was actually the first time hunting on my own this season it took me a few minutes to get everything situated. By the time the woods began to lighten up i was ready. there is something magical about the morning woods as it wakes up. can't think of anything i enjoy more and this morning was no disappointment. it was a perfect morning. cool, bright, zero wind and the birds were bringing the ridge to life.
>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
I could go on about how the morning went and describe a wonderful day in the woods, but it wasn't to be a long hunt.  30 minutes after getting settled just as the sun was peeking over short mountain i heard the faint steps of an animal approaching.  like a ghost he all of a sudden was there looking in my direction.  talk about the ticker thumping, man my heart was about to jump out of the tree and leave me hanging.  i took a few deep breaths and regained my composure.  

at first it looked like he was going to walk across in front of me and then at the last second he turned back to his left.  at this point i knew i would need to stand in order to get a shot, so as soon as his head was behind a tree i stood up.

relax, breath he doesn't have a clue your there i thought to myself. he continued on his path and it looked as though he was not going to get any closer.  he was at my max range. take the shot now or it will be a missed opportunity. slowly i brought the bow up finding my sight picture and hitting my anchor the arrow was gone.

everything went into fast motion as he bolted back in the direction from which he had came and then the woods were quiet. Wow! talk about things happening quickly. I had been in my stand for about 40 minutes total.  

Knowing the buck was out of sight i climbed on down to take a look.  couldn't find my arrow, but there was plenty of blood and it was bright red.  i looked around for about 10 minutes for my arrow and then took up the blood trail.  the buck had turned once over the crest of the ridge and ran side hill for about 30 yards before turning straight down hill. when i say down hill i mean almost cliff straight down.  it was so steep that i had to actually slid on my butt to follow the blood trail. he had gone only about 15 yards before falling and then sliding another 20 yards before crashing into a small tree where he stopped.

wrapping my hands around his antlers and patting his big body brought back some fond memories of many great times i had had on this ridge and of the deer that i had taken as well as the ones that got away.  he was lucky #7 from my ridge, or i guess i was lucky.  he wasn't so lucky on this day.  

the drag to the bottom was nothing more than a push from around the tree and then a long 75 yard slide to the bottom of the draw. from there it was about 500 yards of labor to get him back out to the train tracks at which point i decided i was going to go get some help for the rest of the work.  

>~Rob~>

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
i offered up my ridge to the rest but had no takers so i decided to give the ridge a break and go out and hunt a little with my camera.  here are some pics of the surrounding area....

>~Rob~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©