3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tred Barta Shoots a Black Widow Recurve?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Tred Barta Shoots a Black Widow Recurve?
« on: June 19, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Well, didn't have a lot of fun over on the LW, so thought I'd play here because I know how much some of you guys like a Black Widow and Tred Barta threads…8^)

Happened to catch a rerun of a Tred Barta show the other day where he was bowhunting turkeys in South Carolina. They showed an older still photos of him shooting a coon out of tree with a recurve while coonhunting with hounds at night. The 2 pictures weren’t that clear, but the recurve sure looked like a Black Widow or a widow copycat to me…8^)

Thought I’d share for those inquiring minds…8^)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tred Barta Shoots a Black Widow Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Barta threads usually don't last long here either.  

Best of luck though!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
?

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
I like Tred!!!!! He's like any other "typical" Long Islander (i.e. NOT every Long Islander) who has more money than he jnows what to do with. He could spend all his time and money playing golf LOL!!!!!   :rolleyes:  

He shows people who probly otherwise wouldn't realize it,that there are some of us out here who actualy do use(and are successful with)traditional gear.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
I figure before it gets to a point that the tread “doesn’t last long” I’d add this.  I don’t agree with all that Tred Barta puts out but I do like him.  I think I saw his show for the first time in December of 2006 or there about and loved watching him go after things with his longbow.  So I get to evaluating my bowhunting/shooting (23+ years all compound) career and I’m looking at getting a new compound since I haven’t bought one since 1997.  Well they’ve gone up in price a ton so as I’m watch his shows I get this thing that I want to try traditional.

I didn’t want to just try it either; I wanted to go all in.  It’s Christmas and I got some money in gift cards to Cabela’s and they have a longbow that I like so I buy it.  I would normally get my compound out and shoot it starting in late July early August and be more than ready come October 1st. I bought that Savannah in February and shot it on average 5 times a week for the next 10 months.  I can honestly say that I haven’t had that much fun/frustration/exhilaration in years.  It completely consumed my every waking minute to shoot better and understand every aspect of shooting traditional. Still learning and still find myself frustrated with a smile on my face at the end of the day.

I was a guy that had to have every gadget possible on the bow and I found that I like just a bow and a quiver full of arrows.  I had some basic mechanics that transferred buy I hadn’t shot fingers in over 20 years so that was the biggest thing.  I cruised this site and asked a ton of questions and got great answers from great people, of which I appreciate greatly.  Along with reading a few books and a ton of articles I’m learning slowly.

So after 16 months of shooting I’m still learning a ton and shooting more than I would have ever done in my compound days, minus a few years where I shot a ton of 3-D all summer long.

So thank you Tred for igniting something I truly love, find very challenging yet yields rewards beyond measure.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Tred's OK, regardless which trad bow he shoots.
Lon Scott

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
He's doing what we all like to do having fun with our stick and string
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I saw the one where he is bow hunting for hogz, He has the guide take a nice hog with a smoke pole. Then He wanted to know how well his stone point would do, He got 6-7" of good penetration and said that with stone points you need a 50# bow or higher & that a 45# or lower bow wouldn't do good... Love him or hate him, He's a trad bow hunter that's on TV....

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
very outspoken and I dont agree with him all the time but i absolutely love his philosophy, just like I do with the Nuge as well.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Sure did take him a lot of shots to get that duck in the last episode I caught of him
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
I think the boy knows himself pretty well and is comfortable in his own skin. Who else has a show called "The Best and Worst of..."?  Some days he is on his game and other days his game is on him and he shows it all on TV.

If he was shooting a black widow, he is smarter than I had given him credit for.

:bigsmyl:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
I prefer to watch Fred Eichler, then Tred.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
Tred is the man!!! I do like him, he is  refreshing  his shows aren't all about the kill. I loved the rabbit segment within the hog episode hillarious  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  I have him as one of my friends on myspace. I see he now lives in eagle colorado. Great guy
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
I get a kick out of his shows.  Not the best shot or hunter I have seen (by a bunch!!) but definitely entertaining when he is on the hunt.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
I really enjoyed his "spot & stalk" Alaskan black bear hunt episode.....

He blew several stalks,and then built a natural ground blind along the beach.When the blind was almost complete,he DEMOLISHED it.(probly with a little extra effort for the camera) but he said that he started this hunt as a "spot & stalk" hunt and he would get a bear that way or not at all.....

Well, Tred didn't get a bear. Later they interviewed the guide,and he said that he could have put Tred in a blind and he would have had a bear in an hour or two. Then he commented "Well,he does it the hard way.....I've gotta give him that."

I like Tred!!!!! He's not perfect.....but who of us is?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
I thought he did get a grizz, a small one near a town dump? Maybe that was a different episode.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Tred is entertaining, its the Nuge that I cant stand to watch or LISTEN too.

"The beast is dead, long live the beast"....What the heck is that all about??

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
The griz was a different episode.

I really enjoy his show. sometimes he is a little over the edge and some of his hunts are just a little nutty(goose hunting for example) but he is very entertaining. He is very opinionated(sp) but I agree with him for the most part, so I don't mind his rants about ethics and sportsmanship.

I hope his show stays on for a long time. I would also jump at the chance to hunt with him.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
I can't get thru an episode without screaming at the tv. The hog show was disapointing. He had a good wind on the hog in the foodplot. INstead of getting closer and killing him, he turns to the guide and says I can't get this one...shoot him with the gun. LOSER!
Plus, he's tracking the hog with a pistol in his hand!
Trad bowhunter or tv personality?

Ask RC how many hogs he tracks with a pistol!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I didn't catch that one, big...you have to be kidding me? What was the pistol for? In case he ran into Al Quaida?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©