3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lyme Disease Vaccine  (Read 544 times)

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
Lyme Disease Vaccine
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Was just looking thru the june/july issue of "outdoor life" and came across a short on pg.20..the center for disease control and prevention in fort collins co. has come up with a vaccine they used on mice to try and it was 100% effective..don't foresee a problem making a transition to humans..anybody else hear anything about this???
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lyme Disease Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
If true, that would be great news. There's been quite a few cases in my area to include both me and one of my sons.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
There was a vaccine that was discontinued in 2002.  It wasn't very longlasting and there were some other problems with it as well.  The maker cited low sales as the reason for pulling it.  Gotta love Big Pharma.

There was a study going on a few years back vaccinating mice against it to try to reduce the number of infected ticks... kind of treating it ground up.  I think that was somewhere in MI, but I never heard anything else.

The University of RI is working with a group in Pakistan on developing up a vaccine of some sort, and Stony Brook patented something that could potentially be used to make a more effective vaccine.

I don't see anything on the main CDC website or the Fort Collins site (the CDC's Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases).

Nothing looks to be in clinical trials right now, but I don't have all the links on the home computer to check.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Oh, I was also going to say Big Pharma is going to be extremely hesitant to develop, test, and market a vaccine for a disease that is relatively easily treated and that the general population has an extremely low chance of being infected with.  Add in the substantial liability risks, high clinical trial costs and low expected sales and you've got a 'no-go' from the start.  It's a damn shame.

Here's a map showing the reported cases in 2006:

That's me, right in the middle of the solid blue (Lyme, CT is a few minutes from the house).
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
anyone ever wonder why there is such a concentration of cases in the long island conn. nj area...
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Ticks all over Long Island.  The place is infested.
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Not likely to see a vaccine come back. (there was one as previously stated). Pharm companies find it more profitable to just keep us on antibiotics.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 03:28:00 AM »
My daughter-in -law (1) got lyme from Missouri ticks; and that was 20 years ago.
 There it seems are nearly 300 different varities of lyme; some are not identified on regular tests.
 My daughter in law has gotten to the point in treatment that the doctors believe the lyme is gone.
 But the treatment that kills the lyme is taken over a long time; as the dying lyme gives off toxins.
  The toxins are what she is dealing with now.
I am not certain one vaccine will stop it all.
  I have to wonder why a disease would mutate so fast; and not lose its potentcy on humans.
  If you think you are sick from a tick bite; make sure ALL the tests for it are done- as the quicker you attack it; the better chances you have.
  How did the Native Americans survive it; do they now get sick from it?
  SMM
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »
I have Lyme Disease.  It's believed to be systemic and after a long treatment I'm in remission.  I get a checkup for it annually.  IMO, there is no effective vaccine for Lyme Disease.  Early diagnosis and the right treatment is vital.  A blood test for Lyme is a waste of time.  What got me cured was a visit to a Natureopath doc with a Vega energy computer and LOTS of natural herbs.  After over a half year of suffering I was dramatically better within 3 weeks.  Don't mess with Lymes, and don't expect to see a "bullseye" or a rash - wasn't any for me.  Antibiotics are the LAST RESORT for me, for ANYTHING.  They can do way more harm than good.  Curse those Western docs and their damn pill pushing and the perks they get from the evil drug companies!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
Everyone who spends time in the woods (or the garden, park or anywhere else) would do well to check the CDCs website on    Lyme Disease  and check out the link to 'other tick borne diseases' as well.  Ticks aren't the only problems either.

Lyme disease is caused by a specific bacteria that can be carried by blacklegged ticks.  These ticks are in their highest concentrations where the most cases are reported, but can be found in nearly all of the US.  The rest of the country has other types of ticks that carry different bacteria that cause a bunch of other nasty problems.

Not every tick carries the bacteria and not every bite results in an infection.  Though Lyme Disease is caused by a specific type of bateria, there are a number of different strains, each with it's own little quirks (same with E.coli outbreaks too... ever wonder how the CDC tracks down where the E.coli originated from?  Each strain is slightly different genetically).

The damn bloodsuckers can carry a bunch of other little 'bugs' that can cause serious problems and present many of the same symptoms as Lyme Disease.

A blood test is only reliable in the later stages of an infection, and by then your chances of comlications goes up.

As Rob unfortunately has found out, some people have problems for years after the bacterial infection has cleared up.  The exact cause is unknown, but the chances of it happening go up dramatically the longer you have the infection!  Antibiotics are the best way to get rid of a bacterial infection quickly.  Your body can do it alone - and does on a daily basis - but when something comes along that really challenges it (and this bug does) your immune system starts to act a little funny.  There's credible data that suggests the lingering effects are autoimmune in nature.

When your body has a bad infection (like the late stages of Lyme disease) your immune system is really cranking, trying to find some antigen it can make antibodies against so it can fight the infection.  Unfortunately, when your immune system is stressed that bad, it starts making mistakes, and can start making antibodies against things that aren't a problem, or worst case, part of your own body.

After that response has died down - either on it's own, using steriods or natural remedies (some of which resemble steriods) - the cells that caused the problem don't go away.  They are there waiting to see something they recognize so they can start the process all over again.  Allergies work the same way (this is also the basis for how vaccines work).  These cells can stick around for years or even a lifetime.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
I to am in the 'dark blue'...spent half a spring day  spraying permethrine on my hunting duds for spring turkey.....but only made it out once....

a couple of the spots I hunt...every day tick check before I get in the vehicle finds at least 2 or 3 of the buggers (and thats not counting the number I pull off WHILE hunting).  that, and pulling a tick off my 5 yo last fall...got me pointed to the permanone stuff...hope it works.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Mark Hedges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
If someone were to plot the population density of the northeast it would look a lot like that map, so that is probably one of the reasons why NJ, Conn, Long Island, etc. have so many cases.

Mark

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
Jersey has high cases of it because of the land being made in to sub-da-visions, the ticks just walk in the doors or get them when they are doing yard work.... the mice (deer) ticks are so small ppl just don't look hard to find them.

If you get down to the real carrier of Lyme, you will see it comes from the field mice, Not Deer...IMAO they are being called the wrong thing.Mice ticks is the right wording.

American Indians didn't get lyme or know what it was till the late 1800's early 1900's. They most likely used plants to help fight it. They did know what plants to eat to help with different kinds of sickness.

I do believe Lyme came from Europe when the White ppl came over....

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Hey Hickstick,
What is permanone? I have used permethrine and it is very effective but have never heard of permanone.
Builder
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Rob, just out of curiosity? WHat were your systems at first. Thanks.  BILL

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
just a brand name of permethrine....sure its all the smae stuff....
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bullfrog 1:
Rob, just out of curiosity? WHat were your systems at first. Thanks.  BILL
Right elbow soreness that got worse, sports doc said it was tendinitis, prescribed and took enough anti inflammatory drugs for over 6 months to affect my kidneys and have constant cramps, other joints started aching, never had the "classic" tick bite signs, blood tests showed nothing out of the ordinary.  

My wife dragged me to a Natureopath doc, I thought it was quack medicine and a buncha BS - specially when I was Vega machine tested, what a joke! - but the joke was on me, he knew what I had within 15 minutes (Lyme) and prescribed the right herbs and supplements.  I was still a big skeptic, but that changed within days as I started feeling better, and within 3 weeks I was about 75-80% "cured", the remainder of the symptoms took about 4-5 months to kick outta me.

If you have any persistent joint soreness that doesn't seem to be responding to anti inflammatory drugs, get thee to a Natureopath who's versed in reading a Vega body energy machine/computer.  My Natureopath doc's location is one town away from Lyme, CT, and he's worked with thousands of Lyme patients, all "cured".  Fighting Lyme with herbs/supplements is the way to go, it takes longer to kill the bugs but it's safer and the more natural way to affect your body and system - stay away from anti biotics whenever possible!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Rob, what is the vega test...

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
Rob, what is the vega test...
The Vega is a German made computer that measures and compares your body's energy against known bacteria.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I have to respectfully disagree with Rob on this.  The longer the bugs are in your body the greater the chance of getting the long term complications.

The vast majority of cases caught early and treated with antibiotics have no long term symptoms and are normally cleared up with just a week or two of an oral antibiotic.  I'm not a fan of taking drugs either, but there are a few instances where it's a very good idea, and Lyme disease is one of them!

A misdiagnosis or something else that delays treatment is where you really start to have problems.  Letting the bugs multiply, go through their life cycle and progress into later stages of the disease is nearly certain to give you some long lasting and potentially very serious symptoms.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©