3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: That one bow.....  (Read 1753 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
That one bow.....
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Does anyone have that one bow.....you know the one that just happens to shoot right where you want it,first time every time?????

I just love shooting old Bear recurves.I have a small collection and I just love to grab an old Bear,string it up,and go fling some arrows.

BUT.....It's usualy "hit or miss" no pun intended   :banghead:

HOWEVER.....I have a Mikuta longbow that is just magic!!!!! It seems that more times than not,I take that bow out back and pound arrows into the kill zone time after time. (and when I miss it's perfectly clear that it was MY FAULT!!!!!)

I know you folks (and myself included) feel that you can never have "too many" bows,and some folks buy and sell/trade,to make it easier to afford "new" bows. BUT.....

How many of you have that one bow.....that is so much a part of you that it would be like getting rid of one of your kids.....or your DOG!!!!! How many of you have that one bow.....

Tell us about it!!!!!   :coffee:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: That one bow.....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
You've seen mine on many occasions, Chuck. That Montana I carry just seems to "fit" me somehow. Only time it doesn't impress me is when I'm having an off day or have done something stupid in the tuning process, and we all know who's to blame then...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Mine would have to be my old Appalachian Archery Middle Mountain longbow. It's not the fanciest, the fastest or the most costly bow on my rack, but if I need to put the first arrow in the kill zone, that's the bow.

My new Whisperstik is catching up fast, though. I just went out and put the first arrow, cold bore, in the center of the lungs from 26yds. For me, that's better than usual, BTW.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I sure do, it's my whisperstik.  It is the only bow I've picked up and shot accurately, and first off.  It's a great feeling bow.  Smooth and quiet.  And it's more of a joy to shoot than a challenge.

That way I can concentrate on the spot more than anything else.  And the nice thing is,

It hits it.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Chuck, you know I have gone thru my share of bows, but for almost for almost 2 years now I grab my RER Arroyo. It just fits me perfect and I shoot it better than anybow I have ever owned. I have another RER coming, their new recurve and Kevin is gonna go out of his way to copy the riser on my one-piece so tyhey will have the same feel, they will be my go to bows. I have been keeping one BH tipped arrow in my quiver and every evening right at dark, rain or shine I go out and shoot it at my 3D deer from 15-25 yards. I have not missed the kill zone in close to 2 months. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
I've owned and shot so many bows that it's hard to pick just ONE. Maybe if I were a better shot the decision would be easier.  

I suppose it's the bow I've never had.
Lon Scott

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »
Can I pick two???

First is a Rogue longbow by SKY archery. This bow shoots where I'm looking everytime. Earl Hoyt knew how to make a bow.

Next would be my Black Widow PGA. The best shooting recurve I've ever owned.  Confidence is a great thing. With either of these bows I know that as long as "I" do it right the arrow will go exactly where it needs to.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Yep, Put a new string , rest and side plate on. Set my brace height. First two shots of the day at 18 yds. She's a keeper

A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Toelke whip. The handle just fits me right the first time and every time.

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
MJB is that an elevated feather style rest you have on the shelf?  If so that looks like a good idea.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Pullonmylimb Yes it is Nice and quiet. Thanks !
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
LoneWolf Kayapo Recurve....cant say enough. It's like magic.

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
Like my friend Shawn Lenord I too have gone through several bows until I found the Toelke Whip. A long bow that (at least for me) shoots better than any recurve I have shot or owned, awesome finish and performance and quietness that cannot be beat.

Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »
Although I feel I shoot all of my bows the same the one that gets picked the most is my all Zebra Wood Brackenbury Quest, just cannot seem to miss with this bow.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
Ive shot the same bow for sixteen years. It's one that I plan to pass on to one of my sons, but i just cant seem to get myself to hang it up. There are so many memories in it and I built it to fit my hand and its an extension of me. Shoots like a dream. Its a hybrid...slight recurve with longbow style limbs and shoot off my hand. Birdseye maple... no accents no frills, a simple beauty.

I love my bow...

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
This is a timely topic  because I was just thinking the same thing.  Have been out shooting most of the afternoon and spending time with my four bows.  However no matter where the shot is, how far (up to my 35 metre range), no matter what arrow - I just cannot get the consistancy time and time again like I can with my Fox Royal Crown.

I knew this would be a special bow when I ordered it - however it is much more than I hoped or dreamed.

Unfortunately it makes some of my other bows look downright ordinary.  Was thinking today have to thin the herd and one is about to be moved on.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I've had a number of bows, been bowhunting since the early 70's..  The bow that seems to do it all for me is an A&H ACS CX.

Enjoy whatever bow it is that fits your style.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
Aside from building some self bows this is my 'one bow' plus back up in case of too much monogamy!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Chek Mate Kings Pawn Deluxe.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Just got it this last week.  Dryad Orion recurve.  I strung it up, set the nock and my first shots all hit the mark (15 yds).  I've had beginner's luck before so I put the bow through a couple hundred arrows now and it just keeps doing it.  If I concentrate and pick a spot the arrow finds it.  I've had others that I could shoot well but this one makes it feel easy.  I hope I don't change because I know this bow will perform.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©