3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Bow for Andy - It's Done!!! With Pics!!!  (Read 1285 times)

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
A Bow for Andy - It's Done!!! With Pics!!!
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Last weekend was our annual "Town for Sale" town-wide yard sale. Since we were having friends over, we decided to take a walk around town to see what everybody had for sale, rather than hauling all our junk out to try and get rid of it.

At one of the houses my son Lee picked up an old recurve that someone was selling. I told him it was left-handed, but that I was keeping an eye out for a bow for him. (On a side note, I just bought him a Black Rhino longbow - should be here in a few days.)

I gave the bow a quick once-over, but put it right back when I saw that they were asking $35 for it. I did notice that it was an Indian Archery Warrior, and that the draw weight was 35#. I didn't notice any obvious problems with the bow - it just needed to be re-finished.

As we were walking around, I started thinking that it would be a decent bow to work on my form, and since it was pretty beat up, it would be great for bowfishing. So I gave my son $20 and sent him to see if they would let it go for $20 or less.

Lee came back home about 10 minutes later with the bow. He said the guy wouldn't go any lower than $20. As I was looking the bow over, I was thinking "now what am I going to do with this?" The finish was just about worn off on most of the riser, and it looked like it had been sitting in someone's garage for the past 20 years. But then, that's why I bought it - I wanted a bow that I wouldn't be afraid to bang around.

A few days later I saw a post on the PowWow about a 14 year old boy named Andy looking for a bow. He was looking for a left-handed bow of 30-35#s. So I posted that I had a bow that might fit his needs that I had just picked up at a yard sale. All I wanted for the bow was for him to pass it on to another young man or woman when he was done with it. I also told him that I would re-finish it for him.

Today I started sanding the bow down, getting it ready for a few coats of Tru-Oil. This is the first bow I'm re-finishing, so if anyone has any tips for me, feel free to post up. I'm also going to try my hand at radiusing the shelf a bit.

Before (notice the traditional White-Out sights?):

After an hour or so of sanding (all the time I had this afternoon)

Unfortunately, the pics don't really show just how bad this bow looked, and I didn't think to get any better pics before I started sanding.

I'll be posting some more pics as I work on this bow. I still have several hours of work just sanding it down. Hopefully when it's done, I'll be sending a nice bow off to Andy.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Bow for Andy - It's Done!!! With Pics!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Hey, if Andy doesn't want it my 12 year old would love it. Let me know price if Andy gets something else or doesn't want it.

Chad
For GOD so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. JOHN 3:16

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
That will be a great bow for him, he'll have way more memories of you then the bow.  You've extended your hand out to him, and I have a feeling he's going to feel your heart.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Sarah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
I'm jealous of this one. Looking for something exactly like this! A fine gesture, fyrfyter.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Back up, hoping Andy will see this.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
I would like to add that Andy is a Life scout who is going to pass his old bows to me so that I can get some of the Cub Scouts from my Pack into archery. I just emailed him to tell him about this thread. Great kid!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Andrew Kreppel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
I am Andy, and I love it!  It's amazing.  I can't possibly thank you enough, fyrfyter43!
RH 47@28 Darton Valiant SL
LH 35@28 Indian Archery Warrior

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
Great job fyrfyter!!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
Your a great guy Eric. How ya feeling? Send me a pm. Maybe we can get together this summer a do some shooting with our sons.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Glad you like it Andy. I'm hoping to have it ready to start rubbing in Tru-Oil by early next week.

Larry, sent you a PM...

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Got it Eric sent one back to you.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:00 PM »
Just saw this a great gesture Eric. That's the way the Trad Gang operates though. Great Stuff! Always try to make another Ganger Happy!

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Way to go dude!
Bret M. FullER

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
Last night I finished most of the sanding. I have a little more to do on the back of the lower limb, and I have to remove the glue from the velcro that was on the shelf, then finish sanding the sight window. Once that's done I'm going to radius the shelf slightly.

I'm going out of town for a few days, but hopefully by Monday I'll be ready to start finishing it.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Good on you! Great thing  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
Nice looking bow! Enjoy!  ;)
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Very Nice Eric

Offline Andrew Kreppel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
How's it coming, Eric?
RH 47@28 Darton Valiant SL
LH 35@28 Indian Archery Warrior

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »
Must feel like Christmas Eve for ya, huh Andy?

Eric, man that is a wonderful gesture.  I refinished a pretty beat up Bear for my neighbor's 14 year old son. Isn't it wonderful that when we bless someone with a gift, it is us who truly receive the blessing. Kudos on ya!
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey, Andy!

I have probably another hour or so of work before it's ready for finish.

I'm out of town for along weekend with my wife, so hopefully Monday I'll be able to get back to it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©