3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quieting a Vortex  (Read 283 times)

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Quieting a Vortex
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
I recently acquired a 60" RER Vortex in a trade. It's a decent shooting bow but I could use some help making it really quiet. I have it braced at 7-1/2" and have my fur silencers spanning the string from 12"-14" from the loops. Shooting a 520 gr. Arrow and at my draw length the bow is at about 50-52#.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quieting a Vortex
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
JCJ I owned a Vortex. Sound was never an issue. It was an in stock bow,Camo actonwood with boo cores. With   the original string  I threw a set of Cat Whiskers on it. Fast quiet and hit where I looked. What string is on her? A low strand fast flight type string on some bows make them sound like a bass  guitar. The good thing about the Whiskers is you can play around and slide them up and down to turn the bow.For a 60" Vortex I think the brace height is a little high though. I forgetwhat my brace height was on mine. But I know RE recommends a lower brace height on a shorter Vortex.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I have owned 2 and they were both whisper quiet witha set of catwhiskers.  I shot 10 strand D97 off of them, my brace was around 7.5"s as I recall. Shawn
Shawn

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
Check RER web and it shows a 60" Vortex brace height should be 7". I owned one and it was very quiet. Do you have a bow quiver on it? I had beaver balls on mine. I loved that bow! Try the wool string like Terry G. sells on each loop down about 3" also. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Part of the issue is the custom string it came with which is only 8 strands. I'm also shooting 10gpi arrows and I know if I went to 11 or 12 gpi that I could get the bow really quiet.

I just came back in from shooting and slid some cat-wiskers around and saw some improvement. I've got a stock string coming from RER and will see if that helps.

I also shoot a 66" Big River R/D longbow and it just makes a soft "thump"  upon release. With the RER I'm getting more of a "twang".

Once I get it quieted down, at 60" it should make a heck of tree-stand bow.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Agree with what others have said.  Mine is very quiet with 10 GPI.  I would back off on the brace height a little.  Only have a stock RER string and a very small amount of wool yarn as silencers.  I bet you will love that bow.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
I have owned 5 Vortex bows. all VERY quiet. you need to make sure you have a 10 to 12 strand D-97 string then, set the brace at 7 to 7 1/8"s. use rubber cat whiskers and put them 11-12"s from the string grooves. I shoot/shot all of mine with a 10gpp set-up. your's is well within that so your arrows are fine. now make sure your nock height is correct.

the next thing is your release. are you split or three under? is your release smoooth? what type glove/tab are you using? a thick/hard glove or tab with a bad release will make noise and to add to that....a three under release makes more noise than a split release.

consider all the advice given here and in no time your Vortex will be VERY quiet. I know mine are "whisper' quiet and I love'em.

good luck & good shootin'

Offline T.A.C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
JCJ,
 My Vortex is 62" 59#@28" Ziricote riser with ash veneers. I have one very lightweight (my lightest) beaver fur strip centered 14 3/8" from each loop and brace height @ 7 3/8". And it is whisper quiet.  Great bows, good luck with yours.
Terry

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
Ive owned 2 Vortexs and catwiskers did the trick.

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©