3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bows that feel lighter  (Read 454 times)

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
bows that feel lighter
« on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
I've seen on here that once in awhile someone will say their bow feels lighter in draw weight. That being from materials, design or whatever. What bows have you all shot that feels alot lighter in draw weight?
Aim small miss small

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bows that feel lighter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Unless we are talking about stacking, my experience has been, bows that feel lighter are just that.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
My Whisperstik Mojo 56" is 58@28, same as a couple of other bows I have, but it feels lighter than the others. It's the only recurve in the bunch and draws  more smoothly, IMO.

Others that have felt "light" were a Fedora 560TD with bamboo limbs and a Palmer that passed through.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Maybe a better way to say it would be it draws smooth enough that it feels alot lighter in draw weight. So yeah maybe a bow that stacks the least.
Aim small miss small

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Are we talking about what is written on the bow or what we have actually scaled?

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
What you actually perceive in feel. If it actually scales at #55 but it feels like a #50 or #45.
Aim small miss small

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:44:00 PM »
Two bows come to mind that felt lighter than they where: all of my Habu bow's feel lighter than they are marked, and my Adcock feels lighter.

Are they lighter? I don't think so, there just supper smooth drawing, that's why you pay the big bucks for them.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
I could go down a long list of bows I've owned and shot (as most on here can).  I won't bore with details but there aren't many that I haven't tried, especially recurves.  I've heard of this phenomenon many times and I can honestly say I've alway regarded it as hype.  I've had some that, as mentioned, had a very smooth draw (like the silvertip) and that makes a difference.  

Just two days ago my Dryad Orion recurve arrived and it is the first I've owned to feel like it draws less weight.  I mean it.  Mike called before it shipped and we discussed weight as he was doing final sanding.  It came out 50@28" and feels almost just like my (very expensive high quality - name omitted) 45# recurve.  I believe it is the static tips that lend a smooth and stack free draw, I dunno.  I PM'd Mike yesterday to tell him this same thing.  Now I'm a believer.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I shot a couple bows a few years back that didn't feel the marked weight. If they were drawing that weight or not I don't know didn't scale them and yes I draw 28" actually about 28.5". One was bear suer kodiak marked #65 felt like about #60. A saxon american longbow marked #65 felt like a #55 very smooth. And the other two were Howatt hunters, one a #65 felt like around #60 and the other was a week ago was scaled at #90. Now I can't say just how much the #90 felt like cause I've never drawn anything more than #65 but it didn't feel like what I figured #90 should feel like.
Aim small miss small

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with how much preload a bow has.  I had a 50# Griffin that was extremely smooth and easy to shoot.  The polar opposite was an A&H ACS that was also 50#'s, but felt like a lot moren due to the stiffness of the draw.  I had a lot of trouble shooting it because of that.

My other example would be a Morrison Shawnee and a Morrison Cheyenne.  I've had both with recurve limbs, and the deflexed riser of the Cheyenne seemed to create less preload.  It was easier for me to shoot, too.

Just my thoughts.

Mark

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
most any Black Widow recurve with bamboo cores, RER Arroyo, and for ILF limbs, Win&Win  Win-ex limbs.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
My Black Widow PSA V and my ACS/CX are two of the smoothest drawing bows i have pulled. I think with there smoothness and the way they load throughout the draw curve instead of all at once at the beginging or the end makes them feel 10 pounds lighter than they are marked. When i recived my Widow 3 years ago i had to put it on a scale, I just new it was lighter than marked, it wasn't
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
As wtpops said a bow with a lot of early draw weight will feel smoother and to some less weight because they gain weight more gradually in the draw.  (example: maybe 2# per inch instead of 3)  This is why recurves feel smoother than straight longbows and why highly R/D hybrid longbows are so popular.  The reflex/recurve gives us that taunt string in a braced bow.  Chad

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
I shot my bow and then a friends Sovereign Ballistik static recurve.  I started to tease him about his lower poundage bow until he showed me that it was the exact same poundage as mine.  My Ballistik will be here in about three weeks!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
My Firefly is exactly the same weight as my other three bows but feels less in the draw because it is so smooth!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Howard Hill Wesly specials all feel smoother and lighter than other bows of the same weight. RC

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Larry, hit it for me. The RER Arroyo with its static tips make it feel almost like it has a let-off. Mine is 54#s at my 28.5" draw and it feels 5#s less for some reason. Shawn
Shawn

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
i believe that how a bow balances in someones hands has alot to do with feel - feel through draw and at full draw. including hand placement, grip, nock height, placement of fingers on string. everything added together for each person makes the same bow feel different to each person. and when everything comes together for a particular person and bow, then the bow just feels balanced and easier to shoot. the bow pulls evenly on both limbs.  possibly feeling "lighter than actual weight".
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Black widow PSA, for me, is the smoothest drawing bow I have ever owned, It "feels" lighter by a few pounds so much so I have weighed it against my other bows of the same weight to be sure it was marked right...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Bear Heart, you won't be disappointed with your Ballistik, I have 2!  As a rule of thumb, Static tipped bows will feel lighter than a long bow or working recurve due to the leverage from the tips.  I know there are exceptions, but I am talking of the pure mechanics of the design.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©