3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: More newbie questions, broadheads, quivers  (Read 173 times)

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
More newbie questions, broadheads, quivers
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
Hey what do you guys prefer for a Quiver ? I have a cheap hip quiver that I use for practice that is sure handy for getting your arrows out quick, but I don't know if it would be so good in the woods. What about broad heads ? I've followed the big debate on the silver flames and I do think they might be a little expensive for a newbie like me. Also do you line them up with your nock so there vertical (straight up and down)? How do you achieve this with screw ins ?

Thanks, John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: More newbie questions, broadheads, quivers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
It does not matter how the head is screwed in.  Some people like them horizontal, so they do not see the broadhead when they shoot.  The Magnus stinger is a very good choice of broadheads.  I perfer a attached quiver on my bow.  You can get these most places.  Black Widow sells a very good strap on that I use on one of my longbows.  3 Rivers also has some nice selctions of qyuivers.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
I just won a new EFA quiver (Eagle's Flight Archery) on the St. Jude's auction after the recommendations of several guys that I hunt with.

Before that, I really didn't care much for bow quivers. But after trying the EFA, I am sold! Their new "Talon Grip" strap system holds the quiver rock-solid. Heck, I can't move it if I try. It also seems to have quieted my bow down a bit, I guess because of the extra weight. And it also has improved my shooting slightly - again, I guess, because of the added weight.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
Quiver is all subjective.. Find one that will fully cover the broadheads (for safty) and hold between 4 to 7 arrows.  
I've never liked a quiver attached to my bow. Depending on what type of hunting I switch between my GFA and Catquiver III. Both are superb and well made.

Broadheads--- any well made two blade that you can get crazy sharp will do the job.. Ex. Zwickey, Magnus, Eclipse...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I use a hip quiver I don't remember the brand It's a simple type you get at cabelas works fine for me. As for broadheads I've used magnus and bear razorheads. I can't comment on the subject of the big debate I'll let others tell you the virtues of them.
Aim small miss small

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
I use Thunderhorn small-fry quivers on all my bows. They handle 4 Snuffers just fine. I am not a back/hip quiver person. If you're shooting thin skin lean animals any head will work but, if you're hunting animals with a heavy or thick coat and a winter fat build up 'please' use a multi-blade head.

jus my 2 cents   :archer:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
I use EFA quivers on all my bows. I like them do to fact that they are light, and hold 4 Simmons with no trouble.

Also use a Cat Quiver 2.5 for stalking at times especially when it is hot and I need to carry extra water plus I can carry some extra arrows.

There are also lots of other quivers to take a look like Safari Tuff's new quiver, the GFA, Thunderhorn, Great Northern, and of course there are many more. I would take a look at what the sponsors offer to see if something catches your eye.

As for broadheads take your pick: Magnus, Zwickey, Stos, Eclipse, Silver Flame, Muzzy Phantoms, Snuffers, Simmons, Wensel Woodsman, and the list goes on an on. Plenty of good broadheads out there and I know I did not even come close to naming them all.

Right now I used 4 blade Muzzy Phantoms, Magnus Stingers, and Simmons land and razor sharks. At times I have all three broadheads in my quiver.

You could even go as far as having different heads and weights for different game.

As far aligning up broadheads if I use 4 blade heads I line when up with my fletching since I shoot 4 fletch. With 2 blades I line when up diagonally with upper part of the head on the right side of the shaft, and the lower part on the left while still being lined up with those two fletching. I gap shoot and this allows me the best field of view. Hope that 2 blade description was not to confusing.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
There are a million different choices, and opinions when it comes to broadhead choices and quivers. I have a detachable quiver for my longbow, and recurve.. As far as broadheads go...Well... Im not going to open up that debate.. I personally shoot the magnus stinger 150 grain 4 blade screw in with my recurve, and my longbow I will be shooting the 160 grain grizzly mounted on a tapered hickory shaft.. Good luck, and let us know what ya choose.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »
I like the looks of that EFA quiver. After consideration, a bow quiver will probably be the way to go for me. A lot of times I'm carrying a fanny pack and until I get confidant with my bow I'll probably carry my pistol. I guess I'll just have to pick a broad head and go with it. You guys have given me some good choices.

Thanks, John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©