3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I want to hunt Hogs  (Read 457 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
I want to hunt Hogs
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Ok, I'm just going to throw this out there...I need an invite to hunt hogs, months this year that would probably work for me would be September or late November into December.

I've never hunted hogs before...but if any fellow trad shooters can help me fix this urge, give me a shout

larry

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I want to hunt Hogs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Tioga County in Pa has a high fence hog hunt.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Have you ever been? is it a decent hunt? I mean, I don't just want to kill one..I want to hunt them. where can I find some info on the place?

thanks, larry

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
How can a high fence "hunt" be a decent hunt?
C'mon Larry don't fall in with that group, slippery slope and all that.....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
I don't know Biggie, never been on a high fence hunt, in fact I've never done much hunting outside of the "back fourty". That's why I asked, I'm sure not looking to chase a pig down that can't get away and then slip an arrow through him.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I know its a long way, but theres alot of hogs on public land in So. Alabama.  Contact the Al. Dept of Conservation, about the Mobile Delta and some of the state and national wildlife Refuges/Management Areas
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Larry, We use to have a real camp across form that particular high fence. Don't waste your money.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Larry, I feel your pain. One of his years i'll make the trip.
In the meantime I'll just read every story. Lots of good people here and lucky to live where there are hogs. Few that come to mind:
TexasBubba had some amazing stories and pictures from a hunt in February.
Robert Carter is a hog whisperer. Worth reading every one of his exploits.
Skyler W's hog... OMG! Awesome kid too.
And there are those Cali monsters...    :scared:  I think those are posted on the dangerous game forum I believe (rightly so, I am sure.)

Also, check out the Trade-a-Hunt forum. There are a few listed.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Contact Ray Hammond here. I believe he`s doing hunts on his place in South Carolina now.RC

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:58:00 PM »
Can you come down to Mississippi ? we have them on public land not far from the house.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
Larry, If we can find a place in SC.on public or private land for free... You can pick me up on the way through Richmond Va. and split the gas and food.... I've always wanted to Hog hunt...   :)
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:57:00 AM »
I remember what it was like for me before I hunted hogs for the first time. I have now hunted them with dogs and by ambush and by spot and stalk. I have killed two in self defense. In some ways they are my favorite game animal. Some people even find wild pork to be the finest table fare of game animals. You're in for a treat regardless of where or how you pursue them.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Larry larry larry i just knew all the animals you shot were tied up or penned up. But you can go down to Cortland co and really hunt them for free, Therer are some in prebble i think . Give me a call and well find some contacts for them , Your one and only redneck freind ,Art

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Those near Preble are escaped Russian Boarstock from that caged operation of Contento's. DEC figures over 30 escaped and maybe more. They've been hanging between Locke to Preble and north to Lafayette.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
LOL Art that's funny besides I sometimes are a redneck hahahahaha

I know somebody that hunted in PA...said you'd get a shot for sure you'd just hafta walk around long enuff to find them.

If ya find someplace other than there I may be interested in splitting some gas.Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
if you are talking about 30 hogs on a sizeable bit of land, that can, for lack of a better phrase, be classified as a "pig in a poke"! Sorry, couldnt resist.

Hogs are ROAMERS- here today, five miles upriver in the morning. Finding 30 pigs on land of any size, without a fence, is going to be tough in a 3 day timeframe. Feast or famine, so to speak.

We have several thousand acres in SC and have over a thousand free range hogs on there at any given time I guess...and sometimes it's tough to get one there.

Seeing them, and getting in and getting a shot are two different things. It's fun, regardless of getting a shot, but everyone would like the chance to be successful. A free hunt, well you still are spending money to get there, place to stay, food etc.

I'm not so much plugging my hunts as I am telling you that if you want to have fun, you ought to consider someplace that has a HUNTABLE population, because in my opinion 30 hogs are not that.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
Hmmmm! Russian boar stalk you say. Now I want to hear more. I know feral pigs and javies can be dangerous but those "Russian Boars" are a different beast. Not a pig you'd want to poke the wrong way. It's a hunt or be hunted deal. Maybe worth looking for them. Hmmmm! Say some more.

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »
Call Curtis at 7th Age Bowhunting.  He has forgot more than most folks know about hogs.  He is a trad guy and a sponsor here.  I don't think you'll get a bad word from anyone who has hunted with him.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Aram:
Hmmmm! Russian boar stalk you say. Now I want to hear more. I know feral pigs and javies can be dangerous but those "Russian Boars" are a different beast. Not a pig you'd want to poke the wrong way. It's a hunt or be hunted deal. Maybe worth looking for them. Hmmmm! Say some more.
Those DAMNED commie Russian pig's!!!!! I say kill-um-all]   :scared:

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
hogdancer, I sure do appreciate the offer, Mississippi is kinda far, but I'll keep it in mind.

Now Art, you know I ain't never killed nothing that was tied or penned...well, cept that family of skunks that took up residence under the house, and even then I let them out of the trap first.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©