3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trouble at Compton's  (Read 474 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Trouble at Compton's
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I just knew if I drove down to Compton's today there'd be trouble. I just knew.

Leaving my driveway, I thought, maybe I should hit the ATM for a few $100 bucks, just in case I find a deal I can't pass up. You know, insurance. I struggled with myself, but thought "hey, what are the odds of finding a bow I can't pass up?"
I know I can always sell a bow in my rack on the Tradgang classified's to finance a new bow, in the rare event I find a new must have bow, right? Right?

So, about 40 seconds into the Compton's vendor tent, I found myself staring at a 58" Thunderstick Mag 42@28. I've always wanted a 58" Thunderstick Mag, low 40's@28.
I feel taken advantage of, because Jim Reynolds said "feel free to shoot it all you want". Well I don't know about you, but giving supply to an addicted person will never help him from his addiction. It's just not fair! Anyone know a good attorney specializing in longbow addiction?

Needless to say, I took a deep breath and knew I could control myself, I'm not a weak child, afterall. So I calmly said "yes, I'd love to shoot it."

I gingerly waltzed in the drizzle over to the Compton's "test" range, for a quick 3 arrows and then I planned on thanking Jim and going about my business.

Ah, but here's where the trouble arouse. On the 1st draw, the 42 pounder felt like melted butter, with no difference between the first inch drawn and the last.

*#@$ Compton's and Jim Reynolds!

After shooting 30 some arrows, the palm of my hand reflexily tapped the wallet in my pocket. Yup, it was still there.

My inner demons then had a very short deliberation. I've always wanted a 58" 40 something Thunderstick Mag and now I have one in my very hands. And it's pretty. And there's no wait for Jim to build one for me. And there's nobody to talk me out it.

*#@$ Compton's!

As I drove home with my new bow in the front seat of the truck, I knew I couldn't wait to adjust the brace and nock point and test in my basement range.
Upon shooting the bow in the basement, I glanced over at a set of unused bowhush and hush puppy's and came to the very quick conclusion that this sweet shooting, butter draw, quiet bow was going to be in my hands on the first day I hit the woods of the Michigan archery season.

*#@$ Compton's!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trouble at Compton's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Congrats!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Hope you find some help with your addiction.
For GOD so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. JOHN 3:16

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
We need to know more! Pictures would be helpful as well as a discription of the woods. Thank you.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Yep they're like BUTTA like BUTTA. My 56"er was an amazing little bow.If you closed your eyes you would have never knew it was 56"s. Smooth as a 64" longbow right from  first draw to anchor. Hey what woods? How's Jim doing?

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Life would be pretty boring if we didn't get into a little trouble now and then.....

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
just exactly HOW long were the  inner demons in deliberation??   :biglaugh:
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Congrats he got me for a second bow dam him.This was my first time at compton and had a blast.I was standing thier when you bought it.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I figured while the wife was in New York at a Ringo Starr concert, I  could spend a few hundred on "STUFF". SO I did.  Feather grinder, Michigan Bowhunter 60th Book and a Fred Bear book.  Great time again.  Grandsons shot until I had to drag them off the courses.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Jim likes to say, "Its easier to get forgiven than get permission." Nice move on the Mag, good stuff.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Longbowben, were you talking to Jim (with a buddy?) when I came back into the booth with the bow to buy it? I assume so. Too funny.
The brace ht was too low (Jim agreed) and the practice arrows weren't perfect. But once I got home and set the brace about 7.5" and shot it with my CX 150's with 250 up front...boy, it's sweet.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Great choice of bows and the forsight to bring insurance money with you my friend! Own a 56" TS Mag. Great bow! Good luck with yours.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
I bet your demons could beat my demons in a battle of wills  ;)
My demons are crap! They don't even deliberate any more, they all gang up & shout 'BUY IT!!!'

You must have some pics to post by now  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
Without photos, It never happened!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline speedbump

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »
What happens in Compton stays in Compton LOL
TGMM family of the bow

Green Mountain Longbow-Morrison Arapaho, Groves

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
in my oppinion you deserve a pat on the back. YOU LASTED 30 ARROWS! that is huge control. my demons don't even let me get past the first picture. you are on the road of recovery for sure. congrats.
matt
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
I'll try to get photo's soon. Our digital is on the fritz, The battery seems to die after the first pic. I guess we have to probably buy a new one.
That purchase I'll have to think about! LOL

I guess I'd have to describe it as a flat finish hunting bow with osage limbs and a paduke riser, which Jim says he doesn't use much but had a piece floating around.
The woods are nothing outwardly fancy. She's a beautiful girl without makeup.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Mojostick, yes that was leatherneck and myself.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Glad to hear you had a good time Bob. Jim is a good friend and one of the best bowyers in the business. I witnessed Jim take advantage of many guys like he did you, he even told em he was running a special half off on all of his $1,400 bows!  :D
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Put yourself in harms way and you're bound to get hurt.  Nice move on the Reynolds bow, they're some of the finest out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©