3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your Comptons story?  (Read 284 times)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats your Comptons story?
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Man what a weekend!!!! I left the house at 6am Saturday morning after a sleepless night. I got to Berrian Springs and  pulled into the familier drive that led to the Toys R Us for traditionalists. I met up with my MBH Governor, Rob Kruko and we got our booth set up. Right away the faces and sounds of a completely fun weekend had begun.

I really love this event. All of you who I normaly only get to chat with in here, it's a pleasure to see ya in person, shake hands and talk face to face. I feel like I have a giant group of relatives when I go to Comptons. A family of 1000!  I was fortunate enough to introduce a family of new comers into the Comptons event, and like me, they were hooked. We already have plans for next years event.

Rubbing elbows with some of the legends and hearing their stories on Saturday night is great. Some of the stories were very descriptive and I could almost imagine being there. Hopefully someday I will, God willing!  

B.S'ing around the campfire late into the wee hours of the morning, with archers who have been in the game longer than I've been alive, is what I look forward to. I usually have something to add during the coversations but I like to listen mostly. These guys will leave you with sore ribs the next morning from all the laughter.
 The 3-D ranges were awesome and despite the occasional rain shower, I shot until I had three blistered fingers. I did manage to make 4 consecutive heart/lung shots at the caribou which was paced off by witnesses at 53 yds and one heart shot at the big buck that was paced off at 50yds. Not bad for a country bumpkin,LOL! I will say that watching Sandie Karch shoot with the ladies that accompanied her was a great thing to watch. They were ahead of us through the blue course. Those girls can flat out shoot!!!!!!!   :eek:  
 Really looking forward to next year. So what did you all do?
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your Comptons story?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
arwin...sorry i missed this one...are you going to be up to grayling next weekend...i'll be there..talk to ya soon...steve
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Had a great time. Met more awesome people this weekend then ever before! Hit 5 of 6 aerial targets Friday night and won a free breakfast and more tickets. Gave the tickets to some young lads that were shooting and left while it looked like I knew what I was doing. Won 3 general raffle prizes, got whooped by a ringer from Wisconsin on the blue course, and had a blast!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Arwin, like you this is a shoot that I look forward to every year.  I think this is one the events that I can honestly say I dont think I will ever miss again.  It was great talking with you and shoot arials with you.  As always it was a great time.  Man I cant wait for next year!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Had a great time and the ladies shot behind us,they where very nice and yes she can shoot.It was nice to meet the gang.I will go again.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline mooshkat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Had a great weekend, did lots of shooting, i even tried out a super shrew to see what all the buzz is about, didnt do it for me, happier with my Dwyers. Met a few more people, shot with some new people and had great camping neighbors.
59 kodiak purpleheart
Bear takedowns A and B
59 Kodiak maple
Dwyer Original, Stewart Slammer, Bear Cub, TT Black Magic, RC Extremes, selfbows

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I took my 15 year old nephew along and he had a left hand Bear bow he wanted to sell. Well Glen St. Charles caught on to that and offered him 20 bucks for it. Way less than he wanted to get out of it and Glenn knew it. Every time my nephew would bump into Glenn he would offer him 5 bucks less than the last time until he was down to 5 dollars on Sun, He got a real kick out of that and will be telling that story for a long time to come.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
Great time.  My 12 yr old daughter is already talking about where we are going to camp nxt yr.  She really learned alot on Sat at the instructionals. The highlight of the weekend was meeting Ed Scott and buying two Owls; pictures to follow.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
I especially enjoyed the gentlemen who was serenading the vendor's campsite area late into the night which some excellent renditions of songs by Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash.  I was in my tent and don't know who this guy was, but he was spot on with both voice and guitar.

Met lots of great people for the first time and had a great weekend.  Those who've never gone need to give this a look.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
Capt James,

Sure is hard to resist Ed's bows after you shoot one.  Remember that next time.  Sure is cheaper if you just walk on by his table.
   :bigsmyl:

Waiting for the pictures.

I didn't make it this year to Compton's, but I'll be there next year...if the creek doesn't rise.
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Bodar Okie,
My wife said the same thing about "just say no" but Owls need a good home. Once I get home I will post some pictures.
Another highlight of Compton was meeting fellow Trad Gangers on Sat noon. Some good conversations and great to put a face with the posts.
Jamie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
Gene, you missed a good one this year. The weather was perfect, the food great and the people?...they were the   GREATEST!   :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Sorry I missed it, Ron.

We had "out-of-town" company...and my wife threatened me...again.   :eek:
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
I've been to every one but this one. Really hated to miss it.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
We had a great time also. Met some real nice people, shot a ton of arrows. I managed to get out with my wallet intact, but just a tad lighter. I even got to talk to Ron a bit about my moose antler folding knife, nice guy as you all know.

The weather was great, even with the little rain. It is just a great, relaxing atmosphere at this shoot. Traditional archers are the best.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
There were some swell times at Compton as usual. It had been a couple of years since my last one but it had only gotten better.

I shared food and fellowship at camp Simpson - thanks again Dave for the feed.

Visited with lots of bowyers and managed not to buy a bow, though I did drive up the bidding on an Ed Scott Owl Pennobscot War bow a bit at the auction.

But the highlight for me was shooting the 3-D courses with Doug S - a dang fine shot who drug my skills up a bit with the challenge of keeping up. One target stands out for me. It was a big mulie buck in a field. I stopped before the stake - a long way before the stake ~75 yards - and said, "If I come out to South Dakota can I get this close to a big mule deer?" Doug said yes and I let loose one of those storybook shots that found the mark after a long arc. "You do that again and I'll buy your breakfast," said Doug. Like a sandwich made by someone else, that breakfast tasted better than usual.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »
Due to my new work schedule I was only able to attend on Friday (had to play hooky to do that). Normally I'm there for the duration.  My buddy Doug drove and we had a blast. Managed to not spend as much as I usually do, but then again we were only there one day. Can't wait for next year, planning to get there extra early and stay til monday.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©