3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow spine: Carbon, aluminum & wood?  (Read 167 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine: Carbon, aluminum & wood?
« on: June 22, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
I have been shooting for a couple of years now, mostly woodies, and have a question I am sure that you guys will be able to help me with:

Do carbon shafts that spine, say, 45# @ 26" centres behave the same as aluminum that spine 45# @ 26" centres, behave the same as wood shafts that spine 45# @ 26 centres.?
If not, what is the difference and how can I determine which carbon or aluminum shafts to try when switching from wood?

Thanks

Red Dwarf

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow spine: Carbon, aluminum & wood?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
I shoot wood.  Some of my shooting buddies shoot aluminum and carbon.  Would probably be small differences for a number of reasons.  Even at the same spine, the physical weights of the shafts/arrows will be different, affecting the dynamic spine.  Also the shaft diameters will likely be slightly different as well, which affects how how closely the center of the shaft is to the arrow plate, i.e., the initial orientation of the shaft in relation to the bow sideplate and thus the amount of flex required to bend around the sight window -- the thicker the arrow, the greater the flex required.  I also feel, but can't prove, that the three materials are just inherently different and flex ever so slightly differently.  

Just like with woodies, you need to experiment with a few different size, weight carbon or aluminum shafts to find the best one for you.  Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©