3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads... how wide is too wide?  (Read 945 times)

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads... how wide is too wide?
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I'm a newbie to bowhunting.  I am looking for a broadhead for turkey hunting and I wanted to find the widest cut possible to hopefully avoid the bird getting very far.  I am looking at Simmons Tree Sharks with the bleeder blades in (190 gr.).  These are a 2" cut - awesome!  But, is that too wide?  A well placed 2" broadhead should be devastating, but can I expect such a wide blade to fly well?  How about penetration on a turkey?

Same Q. for deer?  I'm shooting a longbow, drawing about 52# at 29", with about a 500gr. total weight/31" carbon arrow.  Can I expect a 2" wide broadhead get full penetration on a deer, out to say 20 yards, or is that just too wide to expect pass through with a moderate draw-weight setup?  If a wide broadhead is indeed good for turkeys, should I go to a more modest width head for deer?
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads... how wide is too wide?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
The simmons will work good on turkeys. for deer I believe I would go with an Interceptor or my choice a Magnus I.RC

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
The Treeshark works great on deer, shot a 125# field dressed doe last year 18 yds. quartering slightly to me with 47# Super Diablo w/568 gr. carbon including 295 gr. Treeshark w/adapter, went through her like butter...when it exited it took a ball of fat out the hole with it as big as a softball almost, looked like you sprayed blood with a firehose where I first hit her, she made it about 60 yds total...if your arrows are tuned right penetration wont be a issue.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
If your arrow is tuned too your bow correctly 2 inches is not too wide,Treesharks are a good head.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:32:00 PM »
For Turkey you need this one.  That's what they were designed for  :bigsmyl:  They are a bit hard to find though  ;)  ...Van

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Van,

What kind is that head
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm not sure but I think it's one of those big honkin' Silver Flames!
Bret M. FullER

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
it's a Pearson Deadhead  :)

I have an unopened pack  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
I would still need one of the OLD Deadheads with rounded vents! Van, you did this teasing the other year too - I certainly remember! That's a little unfair, isn't it?!

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I do not understand bleeder blades.  "[dntthnk]"  It seems a good chance it would catch on a deer rib and not offer sufficient stuff to bust through.

It seems our best chance of a pass thru and double lung would be missing a rib or two with a narrow broadhead rather than hang up a little bleeder on the way between the ribs.

Now turkeys I can see getting the widest thing that will fly and that would include a bleeder blade to be included.
  ;)    ;)  
Paulie
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
That might be boarderline too wide for deer, don't know, never shot that head at a deer before so I can't say for sure.

Originally posted by Legolas:
I do not understand bleeder blades.     "[dntthnk]"     It seems a good chance it would catch on a deer rib and not offer sufficient stuff to bust through.

If you can't bust through the ribs of a whitetail and get to the goodies with a 4 blade, you've got problems other than the bleeder blades.

I've shot well over 50 whitetails with 4 blades and I understand bleeders completely.

I've NEVER got 'caught' on a rib.  Seems to me you can't get caught on one based on all my experiences. The only time I've not had pass throughs were when the off shoulder/leg bone was hit.  A properly tuned whitetail set up should snap or cut through ribs with ease and blow slap through a whitetail.

Also, not sure why the bleeders would be subjected to 'catch on a rib' when they are usually considerably narrower than the main blades.  More times than not, the main blades are going to to the rib cutting/busting.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
I agree with Terry.Also most broadheads cut ribs on deer instead of busting them.I have broken ribs with the muzzy chisle points but with cut on contac heads they just slice through deer ribs. jmo

I would use the treeshark without bleeders on turkeys.Those quills and the way a bird gives on impact makes it hard to shoot though one. Unless you shoot a pretty heavy bow you prpbably are still going to leave the arrow in the bird. I would not need bleeders with my bows.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »
With that setup, assuming a properly tuned arrow, you'll shoot through deer unless you get into some heavy bone up front.  And if that happens, no head can be guaranteed to penetrate.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
Falk, sorry  :(  Wish I had some to spare  :)  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »
I've killed several deer with the treeshark and equipment almost identical to what you specified and have been amazed at how well the treeshark penetrates. The shots I made went in high behind the shoulder and came out low - complete penetration but not a 'zip through'. That kind of shot goes through a fair amount of bone but the Treeshark handled it nicely. I personally wouldn't use the Treeshark out of any bow less than 50 pounds - but that's just me...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Yeah James....here's a rib, not a normal rib, but one from a 260# whitetail buck I shot with a Sasquatch.  The head cut it in half and the head continued on exiting and poking the off leg elbow joint.  64# MOAB and a 580 grain Trad Heavy.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Not sure I'd go over 1 1/2" wide two blade with a sub 50 pound bow.

I've killed a pile of stuff where the bleeder cut two ribs in and two ribs out. Of course that was with a mid sixties to seventy pound efficient bow... and the bleeder was plenty wide at that.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Charlie's answer would definitely be a safe bet answer.

I'd also like to add to my other statement....'a normal 4 blade, not an extremely wide one' for a normal whitetail set up.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 06:32:00 AM »
Terry,
Thanks for your experienced input. I have not shot bleeders cause I just could not think of pushin a  razor blade thru a bone. In the real world the dynamics must be different...You do shoot a fast powerful bow. Don't know if I still would want bleeders on a 50 -sub 50 lb. bow. Lots of people get pass thrus with 40+ bows but I bet they didn't hit a rib or shoulder on the way in.

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Yeah Paul.....under a 2 blade would probably be best....and you could still use a decent cut width as well.

I think of a Broadhead more like a knife than a razor blade.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©