3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: COMPTON...It doesn't get any better  (Read 837 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
COMPTON...It doesn't get any better
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
I've been to all of the Compton Rendezvous and this year it was a great time as usual. I was sure because of the high gas prices that the attendance would be down a lot, but we only had 40 less campers this year and the registered shooters were actually up a little.

The weather was in the mid 70's all weekend and cool at night for sleeping. We had a brief shower Saturday afternoon that passed over quickly and another quick shower just at pack up time on Sunday. Other than that you couldn't have ask for better weather.

I was glad to see Glenn again this year. He stopped off at my booth on Thursday when I was setting up and we had a good chat. He is truly amazing...at 96 years old he is sharp as a tack with his sense of humor intact.

Denny Sturgis stopped by with Rod Jenkins and introduced me to him. Rod has been coaching Denny on his shooting. I was glad to hear that because Denny really needs all the help he can get.    :biglaugh:

The Ladys Frying pan toss always draws a good crowd.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: COMPTON...It doesn't get any better
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Ron, as always it was a great time.  It was good to see you, Roger, and Gregg again.  My wife is pumped for the MTB shoot this weekend in Grayling and so am I.  Hopefully next year the whole family will make it to Comptons.  

I have to start planning my next Shrew bow to pick up at nexy years Compton.  My dad mentioned that to me on the way home.  The last 2 years I picked up new Shrews at Comptons.  He asked what I was going to do next year!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
It looks like I need to plan a vacation around this!  My wife is from Michigan (Kalkaska) and we get back to see relatives every couple years--I just need to work on my timing.

RonP

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
I agree! Doesn't get any better. As stated above was nice talking with you Gregg and Roger. I had my eyeballs on that double carbon Shrew, but it was the wrong hand and The Boss would have skinned me alive if it had been a righty.  :bigsmyl:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
A VERY enjoyable weekend to be sure.  I sat in the vendor's tent most the time with other Sitka Gear reps and also peddling my book My Neck of the Woods...and the hours just flew by, talking to people that share the same passion as I do:  going afield with a stickbow and sharp arrows in hand.  Got reacquainted with many I'd met before, met a bunch of great new folks as well.  Good food, unlimited 3-D ranges (I did sneak out to shoot a couple times), great weather for camping, TONS of vendors of traditional items, lots of icons there (incl. Glen St. Charles), great activities for kids, plentiful food incl. free chili the first night, auctions, raffles, a campfire gathering with discussion about the sport, and the unveiling of a very impressive Archives record book, etc., etc.  A very friendly and festive atmosphere.  What's not to like?  

By the way, a Jerry Pierce bow given to GSC was auctioned for $6,000 or $6,100.  Incredible.  

I wanted to especially thank the board members of Compton.  Having been involved on a local and/or state level in such endeavors, I know how much work is involved there.  I was just in awe of how much work the Compton Board puts in EVERY DAY at the huge event.  They all deserve our thanks and support.

I also think they deserve our membership dues!  (As does PBS and others).  So I urge you to support Compton, an organization that is doing so much for us.

Bryce Lambley, Fremont, NE
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Ron -- Thanks for the summary and photos. You'd best watch your health, though, as you're looking downright skinny next to them younger fellas!  :jumper:  Mexican beer and Mexican food ... that will get you back on track. Dave

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
My wife and I had a great time, we planned on being there just for the day Saturday but we had such a good time we changed our plans and came back Sunday morning. I did miss church Sunday morning because I stayed up to late for the campfire talk as I slept in and I soon found out by some that sleep was not an excuse for missing church. But none the less we had a blast.

This was the first year that my wife was able to travel to Compton and she enjoyed it more than she thought she would.  I beg her to stick around for the campfire chat and she did give in.  After the campfire talk was done and we where driving back to the hotel she had a big smile on her face and I ask her what that was about.  That's when she said now I understand why you like the campfire talk so much.

Thanks to all the staff from Compton's and all the hard work the Berrien Sportsman club did!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »
Irish and i had a great time at Compton's.  This was my first one and it couldn't have been any better.We stayed with Dave Stinson, ' hunt it" who sets up one of the finest camps around.  Got to share some great meals with  the Bison pack boys and the Morrisons" Dave also out did his self for the dinner with DAve winning bidder CJ, the ST. JUdesauction high bidder.' .  Beer Lobster, Moose steak and angelo's special salad along with Zarda baked beans from Kansas City. Cherry cheesecake for deseart  No one left hungry and all were smiling.  Great job Dave.can't wait for next year's event. This is a "must see event for anybody interested in trad archery.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
We also had a great time. My wife went along for her first time and she loved it. My kids couldn't get enough of the 3d courses and the kids range. I felt totally comfortable with my kids going to and from without our supervision. Comptons does an outstanding job promoting traditional archery for the kids. Both, my 10 yr old and my 7 yr old got very good instruction with emphasis on safety.

Ron, it was a pleasure to introduce my daughter to you, she holds you in very high regard  :D  

The church service was awesome, as was every event we took part in. We plan to return.   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
Well the event definately lived up to the hype. We had a blast! My lip is still sore from anchoring so much. My hats off  to all the folks who put this event together. Especially to all the ladies who were up at 0300 every morning so I could eat a wonderful breakfast. An all you can eat buffet for 6.00 bucks, I wanted to stay another week!     :knothead:    I wondered why nobody was in that great spot.
I even got a sneak peek of a youg lady from RER bows getting filmed for Volume 3. Now that girl could shoot!
Well I rambled on enough. Thanks again to all and hope to see youu all again next year. God willing and the creek don't rise.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
:knothead:    :banghead:    :banghead:  Blasted RAIN!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
I also had a great time. Both with the friends I brought along and the new friends I met, though briefly. This is the third one in a row for me with many more to come. What a great event!  :bigsmyl:  
                         R.B.
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Had a great time it was nice seeing Ron again it had been a long but i'll be there again next year for sure, also got to Rod also introduced me to Denny.

IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
It was the first time for me also, but wont be the last. I'll be there next year if I have to pedal my bike that 200 mi.!

Great time, Great people, new Northern Mist LB, new Shrew custom quiver and LOTS of shootin' , what a day!

Nice to see I didnt mess up your picture Ron/Mike.

Eric

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Stickshooter- We all missed you at the Pow Wow. But we all understood why. Hope all is well with you and your family. Next year is a new year.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I can never get enough of the Compton Rendezvous.  I've been there every year, but this was the first time as a "vendor".  I don't know how those guys can do that every weekend!  I am worn out...but it is a good worn out   :D  .  I was at the Sitka Gear booth with Bryce Lambley and Mike Mitten.  I don't think I have talked as much as I did this weekend in all my life.  It was great to see all my friends from far away and get to meet so many Tradgangers.  My son and I look forward to Compton almost as much as hunting season.  We did get to shoot a LOT this year...we skipped the evening festivites (except the chili contest...his favorite event even though he can't quite get over the hump to first place--he got 2nd this year) to shoot till we could see no more.

Mike M...did you get your order in???  I can deliver it   :biglaugh:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
I missed a lot of targets ate to much and drank to much and spent a lot of money.Boy i cant wait till next year.It was a class act, great job to all involved.THANKS
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
Hi Steve, not yet i'm having elbow surgery today it will be next week.

Thanks,
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
I had a great time as well. I brought my grandson along, and hope he was not to disruptive to all the knife venders. You know how boys are. Ha! Kevin Termaat of RER Bows has one of the nicest  families with great shooting skills. His oldest daughter just returned from the service as well. We owe her a debt of thanks.
mlmealey- Nice meeting you again.
Mike

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
What a great weekend.  Lots of shooting and vendors and catching up with old friends.  A big thumbs up to the Compton workers and the Berrien County Sportsman club for making everything run smoothly.  This is a must attend event every year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©