3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woo-Hoo NV Tags !!!  (Read 443 times)

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
Woo-Hoo NV Tags !!!
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
The mail came over the weekend with my and my neighbor's boy's tags for unit 181-184 in NV! The units are not great but local enough for his parents to feel comfortable.  Excited and a little nervous myself as this is our first archery hunt- me trad and the boy w/some wheels.  
The season will run 8/1-9/5 and since I just moved here from CA and the desert heat and terrain worries me some.  We're hoping to get 3:2-niters during the season and maybe even a 4th.  And if we still skunk, he has more oppts for any-weapon in the following months. Any last minute recommendations/wisdom from you seasoned southwestern muley TGers is welcomed.  I've already been advised to take twice as much water as we think we'll need/outing.  
Thanks Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woo-Hoo NV Tags !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
find water-start your search there.

do not camp on the water

our experience shows early morning should find you high-bed the deer and stalk them-rest in heat of the day.

evenings should find you lurking on trails to water-again-don't spook your water source-not good to keep all animals from watering.

we'll be in area 141
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Skip,
Thanks for your insight- especially not spooking  all  the animals from water while searching for our own quarry.  
As noted, we planned on 2day/2night outings.  Is 10 gallons of water and extra cooler of ice at camp good or should we go w/more?  Looking HOT out there!
Good hunting on 141.
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
You should have lots of water-5 gal per day per person.  Use a NEW weed sprayer for a quick and refreshing shower.  Shade is the key.  erect a shade tent and keep your cooler in the shade at all time-takes a bit to figure sun angles,  I am casting about for some guys i know who hunt that area-I've never been in it.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Roadkill, thats good advice.  Find the draws with water in them, get high and watch em come up in the morning, puttin em to bed aids tremendously in the hunt.  

Make sure they are in bed before the stalk begins.

Spend 10 times (relative) the time glassing as hiking.  Good luck!  should be fun bein a role model and all.  won't be long till he's trusting his instincts with a piece of wood.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm ignorant about Nevada hunting.  Are your licenses for elk or deer?

That is definitely an early hunt.  Out here in Colorado, in the unit I'm hunting this year, I'll be more worried about staying warm and dry at 10,500+ feet in elevation.

Mike

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
Skip: Thanks for the water details.  So I guess I should have doubled my doubled estimate. LOL

Elkbreath: Thanks for your confirmation but what is a "draw"- a land feature?

San Juan Slim:
Mule deer tag.  We are high desert here and I suspect it will be mid 90s to 3digits during the day and dropping around 30 degrees to 60s at night.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
My area-I just did a map exercise-is about 5800 to 7000 feet. Last year we had close to 100 in the day and it dropped to 60 in the night.  we had losts of deer to sspot as we had an alpha field.  I worked the ridges once and it was full of deer.
We draw for tags in April, notified in June and begin to hunt in Aug-luckily I'm in an area I know well enough to hunt.

The mountains you're in are about the same but I cannot tell you where the water is--and that's the key.
If you drift by the Archery shop in Reno-on Rock in Sparks, I'm there on Sat and can help you with your mapping. I used to teach mapping in the Marine Corps so i can get you on the dot quickly

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
I have a neighbor who flies small planes and wanted to take us up to scout.  Unfortunately, he checked the maps and found that most of the airspace in our unit is Naval and though we are allowed in, he's not too anxious to have a top-gunners buzz us. If you can get any info from your buddies and pm me that would be very helpful.  Current schedule w/wife and kids make it tough to get up there on Saturdays.  Thanks. Quinn

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Hey Skip,
Were you able to wrassle any info from your buddies about #181?  The boy next door got back from his Boy Scout trip this weekend and was very excited to hear that we might be able to get a little info on our unit.  You can PM me too.
Thanks
Quinn

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
My firend went to Italy for another week-I'll talk when he returns

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©