3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any thoughts on the Savannah?  (Read 511 times)

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
Any thoughts on the Savannah?
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Hey fella's ....I am sure I maybe in the wrong forum, but new to the site and wondering if anybody out there has any knowledge of the Martin Savannah? It's only 62" but does anyone have experience with this short longbow? I have heard good things and bad, but like many I am a working family man, and can't afford the tomahawk or black widow...any help would be appreciated. Eric
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline poodlehead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any thoughts on the Savannah?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
Eric, I have one ,it is the second savannah I owned . Excellent bow ! You will not go wrong and they look great.As fast and stable as any  custom. I owned alot of bows and enjoy shooting all kind of bows. IMO they get my vote. Dan

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
I like longbows, the more "traditional" the better.  Most of what I own are longbows, including some old pre-recurve Bear bows, old Ben Pearson longbows, self-bows, English longbow and I shoot them all.  

The Savannah is the best feeling, has the smoothest draw, is the easiest to string, and I shoot it more accurately than all the other bows I own.  I am using to hunt with this year.  The ONLY drawback to me is that it doesn't have the "history" of my other bows.

Other folks out there will have more info (and opinions), and they will be around shortly to let you know their experiences.  My advice is if there is any way you can try one, do it.  

RonP

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
IMHO, the Savannah is one of the better buys out there...the look and feel of it is great. The one I tried was a smooth, good shooting bow!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline econnell71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:17:00 AM »
Thanks poodlehead, that is exactly what I wanted to hear, I got one for 390. from a guy that just didn't like it, I got the bow, bow sock, selway slip on quiver and 5 carbons, Just hoping i didn't get stuck, 55lbs should be enough, That is what my other long and recurves are but just wasn't sure.

Portugeejn; I definately relate to the history of the bow, I would love to have it longer like the martin vision, it was 66" and is no longer in production..it shot so smooth....I am glad to get your advice on this matter...now i don't feel like I bought a lemon.
Martin Savannah LB 62" 60@28
Martin Vision LB 66" 65@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 55#@28"
Martin Hunter    62" 45@28"
Martin Jaguar bowfish recurve
Martin Rebel...who knows
"If you teach your kids how to hunt..You won't have to hunt your kids!"

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »
If you got all that for 390, then you came out pretty good!! Now go shoot it and let us know what you think!!
David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:00 AM »
For me it was the best of that type long bow I had owned or shot.  I had two of them, and really enjoyed them.  Now I've moved on to the Hills.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
The first year that i started to shoot and hunt with trad gear, I took three deer with a Savannah, there good shooters.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
I seriously think you could do a whole lot better.  Don't take this personaly or think I am bagging out Martin - to the contrary.  You asked for opinions and I will give mine!  I have said this before in other threads and folk who like Martin got offended, but no need to.  It is not a Witch Hunt, just my opinion.

There are many good things written about the Savannah - and some of them would have been from me.  The Savannah was one of the first Trad bows that I ever bought and that was several yrs ago.  At the time I thought it was a good bow.

In the interim I have ordered and sold so many bows have lost count.

I have to conclude there are many bows around that have higher quality of construction and are nicer to shoot than the Savannah - and a lot of them for less money!

When I looked down the strung limbs of the Savannah (eyeing down the curve of the limbs formed by the braced bow) I was shocked to see the rocky road to China.  No nice gentle uniform arc like my other quality bows.  Lots of square sections and bumps - unacceptable for a bow of that price.  Obviously a fault in the 'form' which should have been rectified at the factory but obviously was not.

I went to sell the wretched thing recently and noticed it has a big crack down the top of one of the limbs - on the back of the bow.  One could almost call it a split it is that severe.  I can't even give it away now.

My Turkey Creek cost a lot less than the Savannah and is worlds apart in smoothness, quality of construction and tack driving accuracy.

Even my Firefly which is the basic cheap model is miles apart from the Savannah.  I shall mot mention my Fox Royal Crown cause it makes the S. look agricultural at best and like a pile of ???? at worst.

So there you have it lads.  Only my opinion and not meant to offend.  Somebody else will read this and love Savannahs and think my Fox is a pile of effluent - it's still all good because that is what this forum is all about.

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
You obviously bought a bad one.  Have you tried working it out with Martin?  I have owned and shot many different "customs" and I'd put my two Savannahs up against any of them in fit/finish, handling, or performance.  None of them were as in-expensive as my Savannahs either.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
The Savannah is one of the better bows out there, period, IMO. You'll love it.

Good shooting!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I really liked the Savannah I had, and shouldn't have sold it. I would pick up another if the price was right. You did good. Enjoy.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Jhoneil1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I shoot my friend's Savannah better than I shoot my A&H ACS. That should count for something

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
I've had a Savannah for several years (I believe I purchased it in 2003). It's been an excellent bow for me. Looks as new and shoots as well as the day I bought it. The Savannah may not have the history as other bows do, but in my opinion  it's a great bow nonetheless.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
I'v had my Savannah for about 5 years and I love it. Fit, finish and overall quality are second to none. The limbs have some of the best looking  Zebra wood I have ever seen. Very quiet, very smooth and quick. You did real well on your purchase. Good deal.
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
I just love my Savannah,I think it is a great bow for the money.I like the grip on it better then my Vision and even my Bamboo Viper.I've kept my Savannah and have sold the other two.My Savannah cost me $370 new when they first came out and the quality was exellent.It's fast,smooth,quiet and good looking bow.Still have it and shoot it.

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

I love mine!! No, it's not as nice as my Centaur, but it is definitly a good, solid bow. I bought one as a "starter bow" , because I didn't know if I was going to like shooting trad. Yes, I've bought 2 other bows since then, but I'm keeping my Savannah!
Bret M. FullER

Offline Lytic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Haven't owned one but I've handled/molested a few in different stores and shot one about a month ago. I was surprised on how well it shot. I think it's a fine bow for the money.
If you're not first you're last

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
I just shoot mine last night for the first time in about 7 months…I had been shooting my Kota for the last 4 months.  It was very nice to say the least to send an arrow down range again out of it.  I guess since I’m new to traditional I don’t think 62” is short since most compounds are in the 30’s somewhere.  Last year was my first year shooting traditional but I’m learning a lot.  

I shoot Beman MFX Classics and Black Max 500’s out of it…bow is 50 @ 28”, I draw to 29.5” and shoot a 30.5” arrow.  I will be experimenting in the next couple of days with some Easton Axis 400’s and Beman MFX Classic 340 with brass inserts.  I have 3 of each and several different point weights to try.

I can say that it does have a bit more hand shock than my Kota but it is still smooth, I’m also going to dig out my chrono for some info…just the ballistics guy in me.

If you haven’t bought it yet there are several custom bows that are the same price and you could get just about any combination in wood you’d like.  I on the other hand had Cabela’s gift cards so that influenced my choice, it cost me less than $50 out of pocket.  Although I’d buy another one if I had the chance without the gift cards…just don’t have the extra money laying around at this point.

There are a few that pop up in the classified section here…I was considering buying a 60 pounder that was listed a while ago but decided gas was more important (actually my wife put her 2 cents in and it tipped the scale in the wrong direction).

I don’t think you can go wrong with one…I love the looks of the Zebrawood limbs and Bubinga/Ovankol riser’s.  

Good luck…I’ll be shooting mine again tonight when I get off.  Just need the garage and flood lights to see the target.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Hamish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »
I liked my Savannah it was my first trad bow also. But had a shoot with a Predator recurve 6 months later and i shoot heaps better with a recurve so sold the Savannah to buy the Predator. I would have kept it if i had more cash. Josh you may find the MFX 340's even with a lot of weight up front a bit stiff with your bow. I had a 55#@28" savannah and draw 29" i shot 30" MFX 400 with 100gr inserts + 125gr points and they worked well. Mind you i could be wrong. LOL.
Ron Pittsley Predator Classic 59#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©