3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Floodwater carp and other encounters  (Read 604 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Floodwater carp and other encounters
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
I guess you'd have to live in a cave not to have heard a little about the flood conditions throughout the midwest this year.

This is bad for a lot of folks and there's no doubt about it. I heart goes out the all of them.

But since I live back in the hills away from the mighty Mississippi (the river that's doing the most damage in these parts), I didn't miss the opportunity to take advantage of the rising water and find a few fish to shoot.

Bowfishing has it's own special set of cicumstances for bowfishermen and the fish come into shallow water for a number of reasons.

I'd been watching the advance of the river for quite a while and waiting for those special circumstances to arrive.

Each day I'd run down into the bottoms to check places I knew the water would fill first and was finally rewarded with a couple of winners.

This would be the first time I'd used one of my own recurves for bowfishing. In the past I'd always used some off the shelf, second string wonder or at the best one of my own longbows.

That had always worked o.k. but when I had a recurve that wasn't quite right for the guy I'd made it for, I was quick to drill it for a stabilizer bushing and fit my Shakespeare Synergy reel to a reel seat and screw it on the bow.

With the same grip and draw weight as my normal hunting bow, I expected and got very pleasing results.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Floodwater carp and other encounters
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
And those results would be.........
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Hmmmmm, gotta give Mr Charlie a little time loading pics with the new puter.

Did you pause for just a sec before drilling that riser Charlie. Pretty sure I couldn't do that to one of your bows.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I knew that the carp and gar would be coming in with the rising water, but in the early stages of the flood I was a little confused about the way the water was rising.

The Mississippi river bottoms in criss crossed with a patchwork of levee's and while the water could be rising in one place, just across the road it might be bone dry.

By scouting around I found where the water had come in right up to one of the back roads that followed the bluff which bounded the bottoms.

Even early on the water was making inroads anywhere the road was low.

I'd have to make the best of any shooting that presented itself since the fields that flooded were privately owned and I didn't have permission... though I'm sure nobody would have cared.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
What I know about shooting fish in flood waters is...
1. the fish follow the rising water into it's very shallowest reaches often progressing to the point that they end up in water that's only a few inches deep.
This leaves them exposed with backs out of the water and usually making quite a commotion as they move around.
A bowfisherman's dream!

2. The come into the fields for the abundant bugs, crop waste and other forage. Often you'll see them bust up through a raft of corn or bean waste making quite a splashing.
This action trows the bugs that are riding the flotsom onto the open space left by the breach and the carp return shortly to suck them with smooth vacuum mouths into wait bellies.

3. They also spawn in these shallow waters, though I've often wondered what happens to deposited eggs when the water recedes and the fish leave.
I guess the eggs hatch quickly and the fry follow the the same exit strategy as the bigger fish.... not being a carp biologist I wouldn't know.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
Hey Bud, glad to hear you're high and dry and taking advantage of the shooting opportunities! Git'em while the gitten's good.

We could sure use a little of that water, it's sure dry around here.

Pop
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
I posted along the side of the flooded road the first day and did pretty well. All told I took a dozen fish, shooting only at the bigger carp and letting the small ones swim and ignoring the ever present cruising gar.
Not much bigger than a hammer handle, the gar would be available to me all summer so I didn't waste my time on them.

For three days I returned to the roadside shooting gallery taking quite a few fish in the proscess.
As I mentioned earlier, the carp come into the shallows and spawn as well as feed. That means that there'll be a big female followed or even surronded by smaller males pursuing their amorous intent.
What that means to the bowfisherman is opportunities for multiple fish on the shame shot.
In the past I've skewered as many as 4 fish with one shot... they were very small fish! I almost pulled off 5 at once on one occasion but the arrow just didn't have the steam to fully penetrate the last fish and it slipped off as I reeled in the line.

I was able to shoot three doubles while working that road.

Each day passed with the water a little higher than the day before.

You'll find that when carp are in fields like this they will often find "trails" through brush and shallower water. Once you find a travel lane like that, it's a good idea to stay close by.

By watching nearby weed tops you can be alerted to moving carp as well and position ahead of them as a direction of travel is established.

The days down there were sweet and cool early, but warm and humid as the sun rose higher above the now distant river.

The constant splashing of thousands of carp was puntuated now and again by the trilling a Red Winged Blackbirds doing their own thing with the local bug populations.
Here and there a Great Blue Heron flapped lazilly along transporting my back to the time of the Thompson brothers and their quest for that great bird.
In the distance bright white Cattle Egrets stood in the shallow blue waters waiting patiently like the fishermen they are.

While I would have loved to have waded out and stalked the thashing carp I made do with what I had... flood waters are pretty nasty in reality carrying all forms of waste material and garbage.

By the end of the third day my roadside shooting had slowed. I was thinking seriously about changing locations on the last day. When a saw something out in the deeper water that made me fall into Cattle Egret mode.

A couple of wide shallow wakes moved slowly in my direction as if some large object in no particular hurry was moving just below the surface.
As they moved closer I could see a large whirlpool like hole open in the water and as they moved even closer the white rim of a baseball sized mouth became apparent.

From experience I knew that they were Bighead carp and they certainly were bigger than the common carp usually found in these waters.

Finally I could make out the tapered bodies of the two fish angled down into the dark water and I made ready for the shot.
Fish may seem stupid but as you get close to them you must be aware of not making any sudden movements.
That may seem like a duck soup shot can suddenly turn into a hasy and often noisey, departure of the target. It's good training for bigger stuff!

The bow was pointed and I had tension on the string. I was glad to have ahold of the familiar handle and even happier to have the 67# at my beck and call... large fish are difficult to penetrate when you hit them in there solid parts. Which is something you should try to do to prevent twist off and rip outs.
A head or gill plate shot makes for a more controlled situation.

I slowly drew the bow to anchor and settled there a moment before letting the heavy fish arrow slip.

The white shaft arced out the ten yards and connected, then disappeared in a whirl of foam and froth as the line peeled merrily from my reel.

It took some doing to land the powerful fish. At first I just held tight and let him fight agains the heavy line and a reel drag that was cinched down good and tight.
Finally I drug him through the roadside brush and the safety of dry ground.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Gary,

Wish I could send some your way. We've certainly got plenty to spare.

Curtis was telling me how bad the drought is down your way. Mom nature can sure be a puzzle at times.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
looks like your makin the best out of a bad situation. Congrats on the fish
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Charlie! That's a nice sized fish! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
Looks like good recipe for lots of fun Charlie.   :thumbsup:
hunt it

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Looks like great fun. Nice fish and, as always, an even better story. Thanks for sharing.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Good Shooting Charlie...great story.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Great story Charlie! Thanks for sharing.

Glad you and your family are safe.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I was just listening to NPR and they were talking about serious flooding in Foley. Good thing you moved up on the hill!

Great telling and fine shooting. Love to read your stories, only can you please drag them out over a couple of days so I can savor them more.

Wonder how CK's plans for a new bowfishing boat are progressing... maybe this winter we can see what water they have left in TX.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
It sure is fun to get some shooting in this time of year isn't it?   Thanks for sharing Charlie.

Offline Boar Hog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
neat pic's and big ole fish

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
I guess you guys thought I was done.
  :biglaugh:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
There was a lot of traffic on the road considering it ended in unpassable water. Just the locals doing a little sight seeing to satify curiosity about the rising water.

That's how I got the picture of the big head carp. I asked one of them to take the pic for me.

I was having a hell of a time setting up the camera, setting the timer and wrasslin that big ole carp into position before the shutter snapped. I won't show those pics and it's just as well that there was no audio either.

Another sight seer stopped to jaw and told me of a place where he'd just seen carp crossing a flooded section of road... "they're everywhere!"

Well, I'd heard that line before but decided to cruise over to where he suggested just to see.
I knew exactly where he was talking about and had soon loaded my truck and was heading over there.

Where the road ended at the water turned out to be right by a friends house. I'm sure it's underwater now, but he's smart enough to have flood insurance and will be alright.

Parking across the road from the house I walked down to a causeway that crossed a big lake. Normally it would be twenty feet from the road on top to the water below but now it was flowing over in a pretty strong current.
Although it was just 6 or 8 inches deep the carp and gar were crossing and laying EVERYWHERE!

The carp weren't even that spooky and the little gar were downright trusting.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Go get'em Charlie!!  that last pic right there is Bowfishing heaven.  Kinda wish I still lived over on the St.Louis side of the state.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©