3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The "concept" of camoflage?????  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "concept" of camoflage?????
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Ever notice how well a deer sees another deer. Remember we are trying to hide from them..

How well they hide from us, even though they are basically a solid shape only tells us how bad we are at seeing them.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
As Curt said, "For all you guys wearing plaid and thinking your not wearing camoflage....."

Well Curt, This is very true!!! But, It's not about "blending in"..... It's about "Bucking the System"!!!!!  :biglaugh:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Good info. from alot of hunters.  Four days ago had two deer four steps from me sitting on the ground.  Wearing old military bdu pants and sticks-n-limbs longsleeved t-shirt over some layers.  Stuck one for the freezer after trying to draw on one for 30 minutes as they moved closer and closer. I walked up on a friend wearing this stuff which made a believer out of me. Blessings to all.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:

2) Why is it that most big game animals can "dissapear" into nothing.....and they are solid colored?????

(Now this should be going for a while LOL)     :bigsmyl:  
i dont want to touch the ASAT question. Lets think about this. Can an animal disappear anywhere. NO NO they cant. Are they solid colored No not really.

Now lets think about this. An animal know where it color works the best to it advantage. Right? If you spook or it is alarmed it is not going to go somewhere that it knows that it can be easily seen. It will go somewhere that it knows will work to its advantage. Hence cover. It wants to break your picture of it. Now if a deer or elkk puts sticks in front of it it gets harder to see. Now you know why ASAT works too.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
Alittle more interesting reading.... :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
Let me start with I personally don't care what you wear.  You can wear a thong and a kilt if that's your thing.
But if you use what you think is best to look down on others because they use something different you're nothing but an elitist and a bully.
Second, I've had deer, pigs, elk, bear and other game look right at me wearing Jean's and an earth tone t shirt, and when I didn't move and I had the wind, they moved on unspooked.  However I didn't try to draw a bow on them and I know from the ones I've tried to they don't always stick around for that.
I kill a lot of animals.  Two kinds of bows. Rifles, shotguns, airguns.
Even most of my modern bow kills are 15 yards and less because I hunt the same set ups with my trad bows.
My biggest problem with not killing more is I take work too dang serious and after 50 hours work I get lazy and stay home.
Movement (lack of) is key.  Background and fore ground cover is key.  Wind is key.  Drawing on an animal not alert and doesn't see the draw is key.
Worrying about if I pay for camo and you pay for plaid is interesting.  To say the least.
But then again I'm actually friends, business partners and landowners with guys who hunt with modern bows exclusively. 
So guess I'm a heretic anyway.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
Wool blend Pendelton shirt.  I really think the material is important.  You can put a great "camo" print on a nylon sheen material and just ruin the flatness.  "Glow & Sheen" is very prevalent in some of the more modern "camo" clothing.  I really like Ed Ashby take on camo...

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2020, 02:51:22 PM »
Yes the under armour type materials don't have dull, blend in effect.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline gnome

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Losing arrows since 1966
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »
WoW.... a 10 year jump from post 83, to post 84, with the same guys posting.....  :clapper: 

.....one thing that hasn't been brought up is UV.... if any of your clothing "lights up" under a black light, game can see you....

.... it's worth spraying your hunting clothes and gear with a UV blocker...
The currency of War, is not money, but the lives of our sons and daughters. Spend wisely. ~ gnome

My opinions come from experience, 𝚌̶𝚘̶𝚖̶𝚖̶𝚘̶𝚗̶ ̶𝚜̶𝚎̶𝚗̶𝚜̶𝚎̶, and scar tissue. ~ gnome

IQ is accepting truth when you see it, while not believing everything you see. ~gnome~    (see Luke, 12:1)

Proverbs 21:9,19

Offline ty_in_ND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:57 PM »
WoW.... a 10 year jump from post 83, to post 84, with the same guys posting.....  :clapper: 

.....one thing that hasn't been brought up is UV.... if any of your clothing "lights up" under a black light, game can see you....

.... it's worth spraying your hunting clothes and gear with a UV blocker...

One more thing to add: I think deer can recognize a human face if they're close enough to you, so wearing camo face paint or some kind of face covering (or even a hood/bucket hat) helps.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2020, 11:28:39 AM »
Perhaps we could use this sort of concept to "mask" our appearance.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©