3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight tube issues?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight tube issues?
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm finding it difficult to attain a finished arrow weight where I need it without using the weight tubes.  The problem I've had is that when I stump shoot the impact drives the tube out the back causing the nock to blow out.  Has anyone found a trick for keeping the tubes in place, possibly gluing them just at the end?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Weight tube issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
cut them a 1/16th shorter and put a spot of super glue at the back end, leave the nock out till that superglue is dry.

Should stop that nonsense for you.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the response Ray.  I wasn't sure if the superglue was too brittle to stop the rearward motion or if it could be cleaned out to remove the tubes at some later time.  I can get a shaft that is a lot heavier, but they're $45 more per dozen and I'm already loaded up with weight tubes around here!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
I have found the trick to the tubes is that they have to fit perfect from back of insert to back of knock. Any slop at all will cause them to blow the knock out.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
Another way is to run a tap all the way through the insert from the front to the back. Then thread a piece of 5/32 brass rod and cut it to length to get the weight you are looking for. When you screw the brass into the insert put a little locktite on the threads. Presstoe no more shifting weight. The Tap and die you well need is 8/32.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I gave up on them and use the short brass tubes that go in the front now. 100 gr brass inserts are on all of my arrows now.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
One more thing to go wrong IMO, tried it and didn't like it.  

Now I play with my carbons so that I can put heavier points up front.  The brass insert system mentioned above sounds darn good too.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
The problem I'm having is I can't get an arrow with enough spine to allow me to use any extra point weight.

Dano-I cut them so they fit tight and they still push out  when I hit something really hard.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
Whoa man, how much weight are you pulling?  Most people can't find carbons weak enough, this sounds like quite a unique problem.

B/W building out the arrow shelf, shortening length of arrow, maybe even trying a dacron string if you are using FF type, seems like something should work.  But then again, I only play in the 50# pool, so I won't be much help here!  Good luck my friend.

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 11:54:00 PM »
That was my problem, also, NJ...I started cutting them NOT quite to fit and glueing.

I, like others here, have moved away from weight tubes and use the brass inserts and steel adapters to get the weight I need too.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©