3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: STRUNG BOW?????  (Read 1655 times)

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
STRUNG BOW?????
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

Thanks to all who reply.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: STRUNG BOW?????
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
i wouldnt,
dont know why,
i'm just peranoid the limbs would get worn out.
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
I've got bows that have been strung for four or five years (maybe more). No peceivable changes. Still solid shooters and scale the same as the day they were new.... talking about fiberglass laminated recurves.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Unless I'm transporting it somewhere, mine usually stays strung.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
I have a Ben Pearson Hunter that was given to me 3 years ago. It had a nasty ratty linen string on it. When the guy gave it to me, I said you strung it with that string. He said it had hung on two pegs in his basement since he bought it and shot it once and hung it there. That  was 1967, I had a new string made and it has been strung everyday since 1967. It is markede 50#s at 28"s but when I scaled it, it was 52#s. I peeled off the old strike plate and under it read 52#s, so no it will not hurt a glass bow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline weasle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
i leave my bow strung unless I go on a trip with it were I need to unstring it. "some times" your string will stretch a little but that is easy to refix your brace height.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
The most danger for recurves especially is during stringing and unstringing (modern glass both sides).  Don't know about longbows with their deeper wood cores.  But leave the curve strung unless the law says you can't!    :thumbsup:

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
For many years Bob Lee kept a strung Red Wing Hunter hanging over the door of the Wing factory. Every so often he would take it down and check all specifications. The last time I know of for sure, it had been strung for twelve years with no measurable change in draw weight or arrow speed. The bows I'm reqularly using at any given time generally remain strung until I have to transport them on some long trip. Never had a problem yet.

Ed

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »
I have two that are always strung ready to go...If its a quality bow it prob doesnt make any difference , but what does is heat , humidity, temp changes...like if ya left it in ur truck or car in the summer , forget it all bets are off!!! always check ur loops on ur bow!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
What Shawn said if you leave them strung like I do hang them horizontal on two pegs or two nails no problem just no sun or high temps.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Oh a wise man once told me you could do more damage to a bow constantly un stringing and stringing a bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
I just won a Chekmate at Shawn's hunt. The info that came with the bow from the factory said I can leave it strung, or unstrung.
I have also learned that stringing and unstringing can twist a limb if a stringer isnt used...I will be leaving my bows strung, unless transporting them....and for that Im thinking of getting a lockable case.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
Glass backed bows you can leave strung. All wood bows should be unbraced when not in use or they may take a set.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
I once asked Norm Johnson ( Blacktail Bows) about leaving a bow strung Norm told me If you are shooting the bow a couple times per week it won't hurt it at all to leave it strung. He said most damage to a bow is incurred while stringing or unstringing. He was talking about modern fiberglass bows. I have regularly left my Blacktail & Fox bows strung as long as I was using it a couple times a week & haven't seen any change in weight. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
Wonder why OL suggests unstring when not in use???

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I have a Schafer Silver Ghost recurve that has been strung for probably 11 or 12 years.  No perceivable difference in the way it shoots now from when I first got it.  It is my bowfishing rig.  
During our fall hunting season, I leave my Robertson Overdrive td longbow strung from September through mid-January with no ill effects that I can tell.  I wouldn't leave one in direct sunlight this way however, as I've seen a couple come "unglued", literally.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I leave mine strung for years on end. No hurt no change in draw weight. It is all up to the man who ownes the bow.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks gents for getting back to me with your opinions and suggestions.
I think I am going to keep it strung for now.

thanks again, Ray.
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline John57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »
I used to unstring when ever I was not using the bow.
Then I heard the string or unstring argument so many times I decided to leave my bows strung an see what happened.
Other than transport.
Martin dreamcatcher,Martin mamba,Samick longbow,mid 60's bear recurve.
All strung for the last 5 years,no sign of,,,,anything,,still shoot like the day I bought them.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
I also leave my Jack Kemph stelth strung as does Jack his shop is full of strung long bows and recurves and flat bows so if it ok with him its ok with me   :D
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©