3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS performance vs. length ?  (Read 462 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS performance vs. length ?
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I've not shot any of the shorter A&H ACS bows. Is there a performance gain or loss with the different length bows, 62", 64" or 66" ??  

Thanks for any input,
                                    Pat

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS performance vs. length ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Pat, maybe John Havard will see this thread and chime in, as I know hes tested the shorter limbs on the shooting machine and will have hard numbers.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I just spoke with john and he said the shorter limbs will have 3-5 fps less performance, regardless of riser length.  i currently own ACS CX 66" 57lbs draw @ 28". Mine flat smokes and arrow without a peep. I decided to stay with my setup, it's only 6 months old.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Rod knows this mad scientist too well!  I'm constantly running the shooting machine looking for that extra little bit of performance.

Andrew's right.  The energy storage in our shorter limbs falls just a bit short of the 64" and 66" limbs.  While we will continue to work on the issue of storing maximum amounts of energy in our shorter limbs we figured that a nominal tradeoff in top-end speed was worth 10" shorter length for those who wanted really short bows (56" vs 66").  

Most really short bows from any bowyer store less energy than their longer stable mates - it's just that most folks don't notice or care.  Some customers want maximum manueverability and really short bows.  Since we're all about performance we want our customers to know exactly what to expect from all our bows - including the short ones.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Thanks fellas.. Appreciate your input !

Pat

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Pat, I own two 62" bows, one with 46# limbs by OL and the other 48# by A&H. My shooting buddy has three bows, all with 44# limbs by OL. Two are 66" and one 64". I shot all five bows with a 665g arrow.
62" 46# 156 fps
62" 48# 160 fps
The 66" and the 64" all at 44# shot 160 fps.
The longer limbs are definitely more efficient.

Keith
Keith Karr

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
I have a 66" that is 43 at 28.. And now a 62" that is the same poundage..I haven't weighed these bows on my scale but that is their marked weight. I shot 'em both through the chronograph yesterday.. I draw 29" so I'm getting 45 pounds or so from these bows. I used the same arrow which was a 31" Axis 400 with a 200 field point, total arrow weight was 540. I shot each bow 3 times and got exactly the same velocity which was 169,171,172.
Maybe the short bow is a pound or two heavier consequently giving the same velocity.. Both bows sure shoot well !!!
I think that's excellent velocity for a 12 grain per pound arrow..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©