3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: zwickey eskimo  (Read 1274 times)

Offline J Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
zwickey eskimo
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
zwickey eskimo: how good are they? i hunt white tail deer and want pass through performance. last year i used ww and they were fine but i need the penetration. thanks ahead of time.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: zwickey eskimo
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
With a long history of kills that goes back longer than a lot of us have been on the planet, you can't go wrong.

The quality is excellent and the steel is good. Factory edge is not as refined as some others.

The Magnus II is very similar in size with equal quality with a much better factory grind on the edges. Also comes in a wide variety of weights, vented and non vented.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Eskimos have piled up tons of deer over the years.  Tough, dependable, and super-easy to sharpen.  That also describes a lot of others on the market today.  Try one, and see how they fly for you.  The older folks that refuse to shoot anything else feel that way because of the confidence they have gained with the Eskimos over many years.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
Ditto what Charlie said.  I've used both in the smaller, 5/16 version.  The eskimo is 5 grains heavier out of the package -- 115 grains, versus 110 for the Magnus II in 5/16.  I believe the 11/32 are about 125 grains each.

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Furthermore... I agree totally with Charlie!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »
they are awesome, i hunt muledeer with them and they work great. they sharpen up awesome with a lanskey and as far as i have seen they fly great out of most any bows. for the price and performance in my opinion they can not be beaten.
Shoot Straight

Offline J Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
thanks guys- i was planning on using the grizzly head but aquired these with a package deal from a friend at work which included 5 trad bows 2 dozen arrows and misc tips heads glue ect for 150.00. i couldn't pass it up.so i just figured i would use the zwickey since i have them. one of the heads is a little rusty, figure i'll use it to practice with.i know the broadhead topic gets pretty thrashed over on here but still interesting to read the stories and stuff.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
Paul Schafer used this broadhead. And that is really all you have to say...
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
point alone will not give you pass- through. With that said, I have shot the eskimo's for years and love them.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I have used them on bear, elk, hogs and tons of whitetail deer. They are designed well. Need some sharpening out of the box

Offline Hogtamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
Look at the thickness of the tip of the Eskimo...you'll never bend that on an animal.  I've used most all of them and IMO they don't get any better than the Eskimo.

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I have to disagree with you hog tamer. They will bend if they hit bone squarely. I have made the tips into a "tanto" point with a bastard file and that seems to resist the bending more.  The magnus 2-blade, especially the newer ones bend really easily.

You might try the Zwicky Delta heats. Heavier thicker steel that is HARD to bend. Need sharpening out of the box though.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
The Eskimo is the 30-30 rifle of the broadhead world. Proof positive that the original was just fine!
After 44 years of bowhunting, with all of the choices out there today, I STILL keep several Eskimos glued up and ready to go at anytime.
One of the best things is, they are relatively inexpensive.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I've used them on a few dozen deer w/o bending a tip. I'm playing with other heads because I'm a fool trying to fix what ain't broke. Biggie summed it up pretty well.
DonD

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
All I use are the Eskimo's. They fly perfect, sharpen easy and are tough.

I've had all pass throughs on deer and one black bear using my Zwickey's. They were on the front of a heavy 680 grain arrow.

This is what a Zwickey does. They just "work"!!

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Yeah, you just cant go wrong with em. Probably one of the longer standing heads on the market.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I heard that the Eskimos are what Fred Bear used and that's what the Bear Razorheads were designed from. I plan on hunting with Eskimos this fall.
Not only are they good heads, but they just look good too!
Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
I've taken over 100 animals with the two blade Eskimo. None better in my opinion....
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline J Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
started shooting the eskimo tonight and they fly straight. wondering about the spin of the arrow. if it spins going through the deer? gotta be. some thoughts on this...... it is impacting differently than it is when sitting on the bow.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
Not sure if the broadhead twist through the deer...wouldn't think so. However, it certainly spins in the air due to the fletching. The avatar shows a 850 pound 8 x 7 elk killed with a complete pass through with a Eskimo out of a 57 pound bow. Never any penetration problems if they are sharp.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©