3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: strung or unstrung...  (Read 426 times)

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
strung or unstrung...
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I like to try to shoot a min of 50 arrows every other day, if nothing else to keep my form on. Ok I'll admit it I just have to shoot every other day or I get grumpy!
Question? As a newbie I'm concerned about whether or not I should keep my bows (CM Hunter 2 and Falcon Special -- 55 and 45lbs) strung or unstrung.
AND if strung is ok and not damaging to the bows is there a good way and a bad way of how they shoud be stored when they are not in use?

shade seeker

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: strung or unstrung...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
In my opinion it's better to unstring them after shooting. Store them either horizontally on two pins or vertical hanging from the string.
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
I agree with tg, though a lot of folks will tell you they let their bows strung for years with no ill effects.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
If your shooting every other day I would leave them strung. More damage can be done un stringing and re stringing. Just my opinion.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm with MJB on this... If you're going to leave a bow for an extended length of time without shooting it, I would unstring it. But if you're shooting it often, leave it strung!  :D
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
I leave mine strung and hang it by the string on two j-hooks from the ceiling of my basement.  I unstring them over the winter or when I am driving to a bow shoot or hunting spot.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
I'm with MJB, and Leopard on this one. If you are shooting that much leave it strung. Once you know you are going to be down for a couple of days or switching to new bow then unstring it.

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
For some reason I don't like stringing and unstringing my bows. I fear having a loop pop off or I generate some limb twist or whatever.

So, if I know I won't shoot a bow any time soon,  it stays unstrung on my rack. Any bow that I like shooting....even only once a week,  stays strung.

I don't believe a properly stored strung bow does ANY harm to it. I also believe there is more risk of harming the bow stringing and unstringing it all the time.

Of course these are my own personal opinions.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Thanks all,

but how do you properly store a strung bow?

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »
lately I've just been keeping my two bows strung with the risers resting on a chair

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
My morrison stays strung all the time. Bob says it won't hurt a thing unless not using it for long periods. Then he says it still won't hurt nothing. I store mine in my basement hanging on two nails by the string perpendicular to the ground. Keep it out of the heat when strung.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Best way is to rest it across 2 pegs like this:

Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Tim,

I think you need to order another Shrew!   :smileystooges:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
Mike, I just added 2 more bows to the bow rack since that pick was taken.  One was a Shrew that I picked up at Comptons and the other was a Dryad BBO that I won in the St. Judes Auction.  

I think it is time for a new bow rack!!  :archer:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, wow what a collection.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Tim,

I had my hands on the one at Compton. I tried to smuggle it out but Ron caught me! He's a tad bigger than me so I put it back. LOL
Beautiful bow! Congrats!

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
Your glass-backed bows can be kept strung forever as long as they aren't exposed to extreme temperatures.  A selfbow or any other non-glass bow should never be kept strung.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Offline OKCtradguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
I have kept recurves (blacktail and Martin) and longbows (Centaur) strung for several years without any noticable difference.  Keep in mind that this is in an air conditioned home and stored horizontally.  They still shoot as fast (chronoed) as they did years ago and have no set to them.  Like jhansen said, I would not attempt this with self bows or non glass bows; I would unstring those after I got done shooting.
Glenn

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I think by the pics this question has been answered, but...should a strung bow be hung by the string or the limbs? I usually unstring mine after each shooting session, but when I do leave them strung for several days, I have been putting them on my horizontal rack by the limbs (string down) with no extra stress on the string.
I have no reason to believe this, but in my (simple) mind, stringing and unstringing wouldn't do as much damage or stress as repeated shots during a practice session (given I string and unstring them properly with a stringer)
Thanks for the advice in advance, it would be so much simpler if I just left them strung!
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline jhansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
I really doubt that it makes one bit of difference if you hang the bow by the string or place the limbs on pegs.  I suppose there could be a little more wear on the string from sliding it on and off the pegs.

The main danger of stringing and unstringing is when the archer tries to do it withoug a bowstringer.  More recurves have had their limbs twisted and damaged by improper stringing than anything else.  There's also the possibility of the bow "getting away" from you and causing you injury.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©