3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ordered a couple of books  (Read 296 times)

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Ordered a couple of books
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
"Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia"
The Bowhunting and Bowmaking World of the Nation's Top Crafters of Longbows and Recurves
(Hardcover) - Revised Ed.
by Dan Bertalan

Is this one any good???

and I also ordered

"The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 4"

to complete my set.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ordered a couple of books
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
Great book.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Don't have that one, but I liked his first one.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
1-MS: if you could write what you thought of dan bertallans book back on this thread after you read it I'd really appreciate it.

I'm just getting into bow making and I've read some really conflicting reports on that book. I didn't want to drop 90 bones on "more unnecesary fun" or whatever its called so I was gonna get Bertalans book but I read a review on amazon (could've been from anyone), and it was very derogatory. It said half the bowyers were out of business one year after it was written. That was 20 years ago. All the endorsements are 20yrs old, and one of the main endorsements on the book was 20yrs old and reprinted w/o permission and the guy said he wouldn't have ok'd it.

It was enough to discourage me from dropping 40 plus shipping on it. But I'm curious if it was just one particularly mean spirited individual with an amazon account because I've also read that the book wasn't a "how to" but that it was full of useful bowyer tips. Which is what I expected it to be. I wasn't under the impression it was the book on step by step building the worlds best glass lams.  

So let me know what you think of it because I can't find anywhere to flip pages locally. Thanks man.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
Pygmy, your right in saying that its definitely not a how to book, but a great book none the less.  Each interview looks at who the bowyers are, how they got started, what they like to hunt, and old hunting stories.  It also gives insight on how each of them build there bows.  It is an excellent book in my opinion, and I've enjoyed reading it immensly.  I'm going to go back and re read it and document some of the tips they mention.  You can find the book cheaper if you want a used one, there are plenty of used book sites other than fleebay.  I picked up my copy of the original edition from another member here.  I don't think there is much difference between the two.  The list of bowyers is the same.

As far as Jack Harrisons book; I just bought mine from the bowyers journal website as they had them on sale (not sure if they still do).  The book is a wealth of information, and if your serious about building bows I think $70-$90 dollars for a resource that will help you build the best bows possible, and in great detail is a must.  

If you want to learn the basic steps to build bows, your best resource is the Binghams dvd, and sites like this one.  The buildalongs are priceless.

Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Bertalan's book has been one of my treasures.  I have really enjoyed it.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Swamp Pygmy,

I'll let you know what I think once it arrives.
I'm the kinda of person that likes to keep it simple.

You can preview some of the book here....

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=sYBT1c2NKVoC&dq=%22Traditional+Bowyers+Encyclopedia%22+&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=K4feJTK0iD&sig=jbYxihPWWs3QPJgXeVLsBSuCC5s&sa=X&oi =book_result&resnum=2&ct=result
Dustin

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
oh thank you.

I looked at that link.

Is the book just stories of bowyers and from bowyers? It doesn't appear to have hardly any actual building info at all.

I thought it would be bowyers talking different opinions on bow designs.

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
I'm beginning to think it may be....I'll let you know once I get my copy.
Dustin

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
Dan Bertalan's book contains mainly write ups about each bowyer featured.  Kinda like little biographies.  Its a good read but not much as far as how to info if that's what you're looking for.  There are some no longer in buisness bowyers in the book, but the 2007 edition has a chapter that covers that and gives brief updates.  Swamp Pygmy, where in South LA are you located?  I picked up my copy at the Barnes and Noble in Metairie.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
oh really? wow I'll have to check that out.

Bow building is such an obscure craft to tell you the truth it never even dawned on me to check other places than book section of major hunting stores.

I travel between new orleans and the northshore (hammond, mandeville, and lacombe) a pretty decent amount. In fact I'm going to pass that store in the next couple days if it hasn't changed location from the flood.

I'll have to check the barnes and books a millions and stuff over here too. I should've checked. If they don't have that they may have a bowyers bible I can flip through.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
They carry the Bowyers bibles also.  Good luck.

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Swamp Pygmy,
     I got the book and scrimmed through it, it is as the title says but should read "Encyclopedia of Traditional Bowyers", but the title is miss leading and also was the review I read.

"Expert bowhunter and archery traditionalist Dan Bertalan has compiled the most complete bowmaking text available today.  By traveling coast to coast and consulting America’s top bowmakers, he has gathered the best information on how to build your own recurve longbow, improve your hunting skills, care properly for a bow, and more. Including descriptive photographs, diagrams, a complete glossary of terms, and reviews of particular bows that include draw/force measurements and hand-shot arrow speeds, this illuminating book will provide hunters, collectors, and others with invaluable insight into this specialized world."

He may have "gathered the best information on how to build your own recurve longbow." but he doesn't share it with you.

It once had the title "Bowyers of North America", or something to the effect and should have stayed that way.

It is a book about different companies, how they got started and what not.

There are some pics of guys working so you will a few different forms or something else that will make you think.

But Ii wouldn't spend the money on it there are alot better ways to get ideas and the how to's.

One being right here.
Dustin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©