3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowfishing arrrow snap back  (Read 1051 times)

Offline got2bowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
bowfishing arrrow snap back
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
My son and I really got into bowfishing this past year and are getting ready for the upcoming season.He is 10 years old and shoots a 30# recurve with a AMS bowfishing reel. I shoot the same reel and have taught him to twist the string around the arrow several times before nocking it so it will not get caught on anything and snap back on him and have had no problems. I have read about the cable slides for the arrows and was wondering if anyone can tell me the pros and cons of using this type of system and does it really work. His safety is the most important thing and I worry about the arrow coming back on him. All information will be appreciated. Thanks

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowfishing arrrow snap back
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
I use the slides and really like it, works fine.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »
Get one. Every person I know of that bowfishes uses one. I knew a guy, a few years ago, that didnt have a slide on his. When he shot the arrow snapped back and went right through his head. It killed him. I suggest everyone that bowfishes use one.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
i had one of the old school leader setup break and had the leader come back and bust me right under eyeball.. Im sure it would have blinded me if it had got me in the eye.  IM lucky dont wait for an accident get a safety slide.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Wear safety glasses at least.  There are some cool looking ones out there now.  We have them at work, sunglass anti reflective also, they are around.
  Good luck and be safe.  Personally to me the carp are not worth  the smell, let alone the safety issues.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
I always tied to the back and shot with 808s or synergys.  Its not a good idea to use the slide with a spin cast real.  At least thats what I think and many others.

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
I used the leader slide system for years and never had an incident.  I have had them wear and the arrow bust free.  I now use the arrow slide.  It works on the same principal, but is safer and more durable.  I use a "Bear" spinning reel or a "Bear" barrel type reel.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
The slides are the best thing goin!!! When you are at full draw, no matter what reel you're using, you slide the line  and slide, out to the tip end of the arrow, and it keeps the line out front, away from your bow, so it won't snag on anything at the release!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
The down side with a spin cast real and slide is if you forget to push the button or bump it and the bail shut you get the same snap back everytime.  If you tie to the back the arrow pops off the string.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Ams retriever reel and safety slide by far the safest. I have not found anything better and have had no incidents with arrow snap back since going to this system.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
I've used the both types of setups and am now a believer in the slides.  Just seems like the line stays under control a lot better.  Put me down in the retriever/slide combo.

Offline BONES 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I wouldn't think of using anything but a slide.The cable will work,but the slide is more user friendly.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Definately go with the slide with the retriever reel. They are the ultimate hi-tec fishing tool and they are so simple. Kind of ironic.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
If you accidentally bump the button on a spincast reel, either the arrow will fall of the string when you pull the slide to a point past the reel or if you manage to reach full draw and release, the reel still has a drag system that will let line out. remember thjet a spincast reel does not lock the sring in place but has a drag system.I use the slide system and the cable before I got the slide,The slide works bettewr for me.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline got2bowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the info I will be ordering a safety slide system. Good luck to all bowfishing this year.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm glad to see you're going to go with Safety Slides. Personally, I won't bowfish without them. One snapback is one too many. It's just not worth the risk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©