3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The next PBS banquet??  (Read 364 times)

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
The next PBS banquet??
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:19:00 PM »
Does anyone know where and when this will be held?

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The next PBS banquet??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Isn't it Nashville Tn?
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:34:00 PM »
Nashville Tn. It's always the last weekend in March. Bi-annually.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
Nashville, 2010

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
Guess I need to start planning a trip to Nashville in 2010.  Hopefully I'll be moved back to East TN by then.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
It should be a good one, a days drive from half of the country, three major interstates cross there and its very close to the airport!

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I thought they always switched from east to west each year.  I figured since it as in Pittsburgh last time it would be somewhere farther west this time.  Apparently that's not how it works.

Mike

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Nope...it doesn't.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
SJS, I can tell you a LOT of effort goes into selecting the location and its not possible to make everyone happy. The idea is to give the most members a chance to have it within driving distance, because a lot of folk will never go, if it means flying to get there. So since most members are in the east and midwest, thats where most of the banquets are, with occasional ones in the west and this will only be the second one in the southeast and to me, Nashville only just barely qualifies as the s.e.. I would have like to seen it in the real deep south, but its just the wrong time of year for that to happen.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Rick,

I didn't say I wasn't happy.  It just seemed like it has kind of gone from east to west as I recall.  But, obviously I'm mistaken.  I have been an associate member for about 10 years now and keep hoping I might make it to a banquet to visit with all you famous bowhunters.  Maybe Nashville will work out in 2010.  You never know.  I have had kids in school for the last 14 years and still have a few more years to go before they are all finished.  Generally the banquet is about the same time as spring break.  The Arizona desert is only an easy day's drive away and the warm weather and swimming pools usually get the vote from the family.  

When it was in Baltimore a few years back, we had plans to fly out and visit some friends in Maryland and take the kids to DC.  Something happened and changed those plans.  One of these days it will happen though.

Mike

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Mike, sorry, it was just a general comment, not pointed at you. We did have a couple out your way, Grand Junction, CO, although that was before your time and recently SLC. The banquet being at the spring break time, is a further restriction on the location, only one hotel in the entire state of FL was willing to have a group our size in 2010 and they were out of our price range, the same with all the other hotels near the coast in the S.E..

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
RicMic, since you've been to all of them, why don't you list the locations by year.  I think the general pattern is every third banquet is west.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Stevo, my memory on the exact order, isn't that good! Don't forget we went from San Antonio, TX to SLC, UT. Heres a rough guess.
86, Deer Creek Park, OH
88, Grand Junction, CO
90, Wheeling, WV
92, Lake of the Ozarks, MO
94, Traverse City, MI
96, Charlotte, NC
98, Seattle, WA
00, St. Louis, MO
02, Baltimore, MD
04, San Antonio, TX
06, SLC, UT
08, Pittsburg, PA
10, Nashville, TN
My guess is the 2012 banquet will be on the left half of the map again. How about Maui this time!

Offline Greg Sz.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
all I know is that I cant wait till the 2010 banquet. it will be the first one I go to. But I saw all of the goodies from this years banquet when I was at my uncle's house(some of you probably know him, dennis fillippilli). Wow! The items donated were unbelieveable! Especially this one knife with a Damascus blade and a Mongolian ram or something horn handle! What a beauty! Okay I'll stop rambling for now.
40#@28 '66 Herters Internat. Match Hunter
65#@28 Zipper Recurve (Bob Thompson model)
50#@28 DAS Dalaa

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Which hotel will be hosting the 2010 Nashville banquet??
Gary Logsdon

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
Gary, the 2010 PBS banquet will be at the Millenuim Maxwell House hotel.  Contract is signed, sealed and delivered.  Now we hope to get a bunch of good help and helpers from Tennessee, Kentucky and anyone else that wants to pitch in.  We had an outstanding crew in Pittsburgh which made my life a whole lot easier had we not.  
Slim, the "general intent" is to go from East, Middle, West, Middle, East, Middle, etc. thereby having it in the center of the country roughly twice as often as east or west, due to the proximity of a lot of members, as RickMic mentioned.  It isn't "etched in stone", but more a guideline to consider.  There are many factors that weigh on the decision, as Biggie, having been on the hot seat before, can attest, such as a hotel that will work (size, price, quality, etc.) location (major airport nearby, shopping, etc things for the non-hunting family members) availability, etc.   It looks a lot easier than it really is and I commend the recent site search committee for their hard work and dedication.  I hope you ALL can make it to Nashville!  
What's next in 2012...Maui?  Denver?  Minneapolis? Only time will tell.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Anchorage!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
Kevin touched on it briefly but ya gotta have a local club or a bunch of volunteers in the area to provide the manpower as well. IN the past, local archery clubs have volunteered to provide the manpower and it works out well.

Also, we've always wanted one in the deep south, along the Emerald Coast. Because the end of March is "peak season" at most of the beaches, we cannot negotiate good faith contracts with hotels cause they know they'll sell out anyway.

Any small group of PBSers in any state can put in a bid for banquet. Contact the current VP for info on what it takes and get your state or local group together. Remember, these have to be done at least 4 years in advance so get busy!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
"Damascus blade and a Mongolian ram or something horn handle!"

That would be the one Doug Campbell made....RiMic, know anything about that "Mongolian ram horn"?  LOL.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
with this location, I will be able to attend My first banquet! I am really looking forward to it!!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©