3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Camo Deer Season  (Read 810 times)

Offline Ontario Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
No Camo Deer Season
« on: July 04, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Do any of you Trad gangers not wear camo to hunt deer? I'm planning to bowhunt this season sans camo. I've concluded over the years that even at very close range  movement and scent get you busted not camo. I've taken deer in the past with  nothing  but a camo vest over a  sweater  and olive army  pants and my  hunting partner has taken deer without camo wearing muted earth tones. I've been busy on E-bay and online shops buying wool plaid:

I'll report my findings as the season progress,,Frank
Black Coffee, Red Wine, Blue Waters, Green fields, Yellow sunsets,Whitetailed Deer,, All the Primary colors of Life ,,,.
I don't choose the deer, the deer chooses me.

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Camo Deer Season
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Haven't used camo in 15 years.  Still get my harvest

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
The only reason I wear camo sometimes is that it comes on very functional hunting clothing.  In early season I do most all of my hunting in wool plaids or earthy colors.  Thrift stores are great places to find wool shirts and pants at great prices.

I took this nice buck wearing a Teresa Asbell wool shirt and thrift store wool dress pants.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Frank,  I hunted winter bow in a wool plaid shirt and grey wool pants. If it was cold i threw on a Carhardt camo vest.By the way I really like that vest of yours.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I just mix it all up, some days I might not have any camo at all on and some days I might have a little more on; only because there are items I like that I could only get in some sort of camouflage pattern.

My favorites though are 100% wool sweaters and hats that my 77 year old mother still knits me. I have a supply that should last me my lifetime and possibly my heirs.

I don't think from the looks of me that I will ever get a sponsor!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 12:49:00 AM »
I really like that vest! How about the name of the maker? Thanks Hap

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »
I hunt in whatever is clean. If there's some camo in the mix it's mostly because of the functionality of that particular article of clothing. Most of my clothing is geared to colder weather so it's mostly neutral colored wool. But when it's hot in the early season I might hike in in just shorts and a wifebeater and that's when my uninsulated camo coverall is real convenient. I'm with you, movement and scent is more critical than camo.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
i typically only were camo pants and not necisarily because their camo either i just like them as hunting pants.  

I wear subdued colors on top and somtimes a camo hat bu more often an olive drab bandana made of parachute silk.  Burt cork for the face sometimes depending on my mood.

Im with you in that I think camo is overrated.  I only where it when the convenient hunting clothes I have happen to be that color.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »
Hap,
The vest is a Filson.

Mike
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 04:24:00 AM »
Thank you. Hap

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 04:42:00 AM »
when the weather turns cold it back to filson wool in there green pants and coat...I sure do no think you need camo, as long as what you have on breaks up the outline and it is clean.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
Look at myavatar. That is the coat I always wear when hunting on the mainland in cold weather. Had deer within 5 feet of me in WV that never knew I was there. Sitting on the ground with my back against a big tree. I do wear camo to hunt in here on Guam, way too hot for my wool.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline beaglesandbucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 05:20:00 AM »
We have been duped by the camo industry in the saem way some hunters think if "hang this scent on a limb"....bucks from all over the county come running.

The money is better spent on bows and arrows.
When the journey becomes as valuable as the goal........go "traditional."

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »
I'm a wool sweater guy myself!!!!!

I even started making my own "huntin' jeans".....I take black denim jeans and wash them with bleach untill they come out "dirt brown"   :thumbsup:

When it gets really cold I have a few pair of wool pants that I found at the GoodWill store that I wear.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
I'll wear camo for functionality as well. When called for. Otherwise, I'm partial to wool myself.  

"Jeans" nothing will lead you to hypothermia quicker than a wet pair of cotton jeans. Cotton can be a killer.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline BobT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
I don't believe that camo has any real advantage over anything else for deer. I have had too many deer walk within a few feet of me when I was wearing blaze orange! I have to admit that I do wear camo most of the time but I'm sure that any difference it might make is very minuscule.

Bob
Bob

It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fence post than to shoot for the fence post and hit the ground!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
deer don't wear camo, and they disappear quickly

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
OD green Filson.My fave.I wear them all the time not just hunting.It makes me think Im hunting when I cant get out.  :bigsmyl:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I wear both subdued wool and camo, but tend more towards wool plaids. Camo is good, and lots of good hunting clothes are camo, but lots of wool non camo is great for hunting, too. I have several Pendleton shirts that have seen more than a few hunting trips.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I'm looking for an earth tone colored wool plaid vest with a hood.

Anyone know where I can find such a thing?

Some clothing manufactures make hoody vests in women’s apparel, but I’m having a heck of a time finding what I’m looking for.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©