3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: No Camo Deer Season  (Read 812 times)

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: No Camo Deer Season
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea myself for the next season, we'll have to see.  Nice Robertsons' by the way.  Love mine.  Eric.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
i shot my first deer wearing a red buffalo plad shirt and black jeans. Camo is not necessary, but it helps!

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Looks good to go, Frank.

Better looking than camo, also.  JMHO

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveMcD:

"Jeans" nothing will lead you to hypothermia quicker than a wet pair of cotton jeans. Cotton can be a killer.
I've been hunting in "jeans" for over 30 years Steve,I aint dead yet buddy.....    ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GRW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I just watched a show on Outdoor channel about "how deer see".  The main subject was that deer DO see in color, just not all the colors that we see.  The thing that realy shows up to a deer is UV ( Ultra Violet)
Most fabrics that are comercialy made are bleached before any dying occures.  After the bleaching proccess the fabric goes through some procedure that brightens it, so that the dying proccess will stand out.  This brightening proccess covers the fabric with UV.  

Even "hunter orange" turns a dull/flat color when treated with some UV cover dye.  They put a new camo jacket next to a jacket in hunter orange that had been treated w/ the UV remover, and turned on a special UV/ florecent light.  The  camo jacket GLOWED with a light blue color, while the bright orange jacket look faded and flat.

It would seem that UV may be the biggest culprit in giving us away.
Be Humble, Don't Stumble...

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Basic Survival 101 Cotton Jeans are a no-no. To each his own.

All the best!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 01:05:00 PM »
ON the wool vest hoodie - check out "day one camouflage". Their vests don't have full hoods - even so - their weather check collar is an interesting approach.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanx JDice

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
You just keep wearin' those jeans partner; just hope you don't get that cotton wet and have to spend the night.  Cotton is okay for early season but I always carry a wool shirt even then.

Camo is made for people, not deer.  It is totally unnecessary...but to each his own.  It's hard to find "hunting" clothes in anything but camo.  That's why I like the Goodwill store.

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRW:
I just watched a show on Outdoor channel about "how deer see".  The main subject was that deer DO see in color, just not all the colors that we see.  The thing that realy shows up to a deer is UV ( Ultra Violet)
Most fabrics that are comercialy made are bleached before any dying occures.  After the bleaching proccess the fabric goes through some procedure that brightens it, so that the dying proccess will stand out.  This brightening proccess covers the fabric with UV.  

Even "hunter orange" turns a dull/flat color when treated with some UV cover dye.  They put a new camo jacket next to a jacket in hunter orange that had been treated w/ the UV remover, and turned on a special UV/ florecent light.  The  camo jacket GLOWED with a light blue color, while the bright orange jacket look faded and flat.

It would seem that UV may be the biggest culprit in giving us away.
GRW - did you happen to pay attention to the commercials durring this "show"?   "[dntthnk]"
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
Does anyone wear wool pants during early season Colorado elk hunting ?  I am more worried about dying from dehydration at that time than anythng else.  I love wool, but how is it when everything is warm ?
ChuckC

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
Why Thank Ya George!!!!!    :wavey:  

After 6 years in the Marines,living in "rip-stop" cotton camo utilties,I've been "cold&wet" for days on end more times than I can remember.(like I said, I ain't dead yet!!!!!)

Like you,I always wear a wool sweater or 2 (against my skin) to keep my core temp (upper body) warm even if those old jeans do get wet.    :thumbsup:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
ACTUALY.....Wool is GREAT in warm weather!!!!!

Wool breathes much better than tighter weaved cotton,and does not absorb persperation like cotton does. The real "secret" to wearing wool,is to wear it directly against your skin,and in layers according to the weather/temperature conditions.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
Ah yes those fun filled days at "Camp Swampy" in NC. Field OPS at TLZ Bluebird in Feburary with a driving rain any daytime temps in the high 30s. At least we had the old wool/poly long johns and our wooly pullys under all that wet cotten. (pre gore-tex days of the old field jackets)
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Free Range

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
Fletcher, Teresa Ashbell wool? Where do you get a Teresa Ashbell wool shirt?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Just about every piece of outer hunting clothes I wear and most of the underclothes as well is wool.  Some of its plaid, some of it's solid colored, some of it's camo.  I wear it for the warmth and quietness.  Just about anything works sitting up against a tree or in a ground blind made of natural materials.  Some of the lighter, more open camo patterns have the edge in open tree cover though.

Chuck:  I've been wearing 18 ounce or lighter wool for years on my western hunts.  Breathes real well and stays cool until the temps approach the 80s.  At those temperatures, which I've experienced on a couple of hunts, I was hot even when stripped down to my skivvies.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  I may have to go shopping.  I really like the feel and quietness of wool.  It doesn't seem to make me itch like it does a friend.  I have several wool shirts that I swear hide you as well or even better than most camo shirts I have seen.  

Jerry:  are you going to shoot at Horicon this weekend ?  Camping ?  John and Lamont and McDonald and crew will be there friday and saturday nights.  I will be there saturday night.  Got something in the way for early saturday morning.
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
Can't make it on Saturday.  Plan to be there on Sunday.  Have some horse trading to do with Lamont among other things.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
I am game, I am up for a challenge.  Let's make a pact about not wearing camo for one season and gather data for those whom promote and overprice camo.  i find that the wool is the best, and for obvious reason most of us know, survival and cold wise.  Can get a really good shirt cheap from Ron on his site.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I hate to be a stick in the mud but I just don't get it. What is wrong with waring camo?
  :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©